Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Brubaker Confirms that He is Leaving Captain America in Favor of More Creator-Owned Projects

Brubaker confirmed in a recent Comics Reporter interview that, after a long and storied run on Captain America, he is choosing to leave the title to focus on more of his C-O projects.

The Beat has some coverage and details, as well as choice quotes.

And the Comics Reporter interview itself is here.

Comments

• Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I am a fan of his work, and I am glad he can wrap up his Cap run on his own terms. I have not found his creator work, Incognito and Fatale, to be as good as his Marvel stuff. I am glad he will continue to write Winter Soldier. I thought he kind of lost his way with Steve Rogers after he came back.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    Kind of interesting, since Marvel made a big deal of announcing him as one of their "Architects" recently...
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited June 2012
    Leaving for creator-owned pastures is kind of becoming a trend now, huh? And good for them, I say. I hope a good-enough-sized portion of their fanbases follow them over from Marvel or DC to make these ventures profitable.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I think more and more we will see people doing this, especially after "Before Watchmen" and the Kirby lawsuit. Creators have been taken advantage of for YEARS, and now they have more options. I was surprised when Fatale showed up at Image, but now, I'm not surprised any more.

Could we be seeing a new dawn of Creator Owned comics?
  • Options
    I sure hope so!

• Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I think more and more we will see people doing this, especially after "Before Watchmen" and the Kirby lawsuit. Creators have been taken advantage of for YEARS, and now they have more options. I was surprised when Fatale showed up at Image, but now, I'm not surprised any more.

I would rather see a dawn of great books. I do not really care if they are creator owned or not.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Brubaker's run on Captain America has been fantastic, and I have loved getting those in the hardcover collections (I think that might be the only comic I regularly collect in that format these days).

But I do feel like it has been winding down, and I would rather him leave on his own terms, and at a time where he has the chance to still finish strong.

I wish that Sean Phillips could be cloned so that every month I could get an issue of Criminal, Fatale, and Incognito. (But if I had to choose I would just take Criminal)

What I think is interesting to the timing of this announcement is the fact that- at least from what has been said and the numbers we see- Fatale at Image has been a bigger success for Brubaker and Phillips than Incognito or Criminal were at Marvel Icon. (And, I would guess, the Image deal also lets them keep more of the pie).

So at a time when he is choosing Image over Icon for his creator-owned work, I could see that he might be inclined to spend less and less time doing the company work.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    Loved his cap and I want to wish him all the best.
    Just wish Bendis would go to,and I mean from Marvel not to another 10 year plus run on another team book.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Loved his cap and I want to wish him all the best.
    Just wish Bendis would go to,and I mean from Marvel not to another 10 year plus run on another team book.
    I loved Bendis's non Marvel work. But besides Alias I have hated all his Marvel stuff.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The first arc of his epic run on Cap is one of my favorite comic stories. Jamie D is right in that his latest work on Cap has been weak. I'm glad he is moving on to something he can poor himself into and really get excited about.
  • Options
    I am not a fan of Mr. Brubaker's work on Captain America. I hope they return Bucky to the realm of the dead soon. Depending on the next writer, I may pick up my first Captain America issues in years.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Well, from what I read, Brubaker is still going to write Winter Soldier for as long as he can as he is really enjoying what he's doing in that book so there is one Marvel book you can still buy for Brubaker's writing.
  • Options
    Well, from what I read, Brubaker is still going to write Winter Soldier for as long as he can as he is really enjoying what he's doing in that book so there is one Marvel book you can still buy for Brubaker's writing.
    I'm glad at that. It seems that Brubaker forged his own way with Bucky and the whole Cap run has really been a story about Bucky. Since the #1 of the recent Cap series I haven't felt that the stories haven't been of the level of the previous stuff but the Winter Soldier series has been going from strength to strength. Brubaker got me into Cap and with his departure I will probably leave the book in favour of other things but Winter Soldier will remain on my order.