Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Legion of Super Heroes vs. X-Men - who had the bigger roster?

My project (for myself) in July is to draw a character a day (just rough sketches done over lunch) and post them up. Given that there's 31 days in July, I figured I needed a group with a deep roster and could only think of two groups that could satisfy that requirement - the Legion of Superheroes and the X-Men. I'm pretty set on doing "A Legionnaire a Day" through July, because I'd probably get tired of the X-Men uniform after a while, but it sparked a good debate with me and the wife - who had the deeper roster?

So we sat there, drinks in hand, and she had to match me - an X-Man for every Legionnaire I named.

Degree of difficulty: She had to name actual X-Men - no New Mutants, Exiles, etc. They had to be on the actual X-Men team (appearing in either Uncanny or X-Men). I couldn't use Legion of Substitute Heroes. They had to be actual Legionnaires.

I smoked her, but I wonder who actually had the deepest roster. A friend of mine says in terms of actual standing army size, the Legion wins hands down, but if you're going for number of members over the course of time, the X-Men will take them.

Note this is not "Who'd win a fight?" just "Who has had the most members?"

Comments

• Options
    I think she's got you. According to Wikipedia (which is by no means the end all-be all resource), there have been 85 active X-Men members.

There looks to be many more on the Legion page, but many of those would be variants of previously established characters (i.e. I would count Colossal Boy and Leviathan as the same character).

Counting through the end of the 'Original' Legion continuity (including the 5 years later) run, I showed 56 members. Scrolling through the remainder of the roster, and only adding members that didn't have a previous iteration, I ended up with a count of 81.

Would love to have someone else do the math to see if my counts are close. :)
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    The problem is that it's sometimes hard to tell who is a member of the X-Men and who is just associated with them. For instance, Wikipedia lists Lockheed as a member. I don't know if I would consider him an actual member. There are a few more like that like the first Xorn (wasn't that actually Magneto?), Sunspot, Revanche and Doctor Nemesis (does X-Club membership count as membership in the X-Men?).
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    My project (for myself) in July is to draw a character a day (just rough sketches done over lunch) and post them up. Given that there's 31 days in July, I figured I needed a group with a deep roster and could only think of two groups that could satisfy that requirement - the Legion of Superheroes and the X-Men. I'm pretty set on doing "A Legionnaire a Day" through July, because I'd probably get tired of the X-Men uniform after a while, but it sparked a good debate with me and the wife - who had the deeper roster?

So we sat there, drinks in hand, and she had to match me - an X-Man for every Legionnaire I named.
    Al, I would just like to point out (as I think I have before) that your wife sounds awesome.

And as far as deep rosters for the main team go, you could also easily fill a month with 31 Avengers. But as far as the choices you list go, I do think there have been more X-Men than Legionnaires, even if you count the 5 year gap characters. I think there seem to be so many more Legionnaires than there are because there have been more versions of them!

Though if you do decide on the Legion, you've gotta promise me that Kinetix will be in there somewhere. I do loves me some Zoe Saugin. :x
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Though if you do decide on the Legion, you've gotta promise me that Kinetix will be in there somewhere. I do loves me some Zoe Saugin. :x
    Done. Just remind me once I start posting. I think I want to tackle the Legion mainly because I have more different clothing options and styles. Also I've only recently started into reading a lot of Legion books and I've really gotten into them. I'd always known about them, of course, but was never a "hardcore" reader of their stuff.

The basic plan is, starting July 1, I do a quick sketch a day. If anything really good comes out of it, I may ink it...or not. Alternating male to female characters (another area where I think the Legion might work better...I think they have the better boy/girl ratio).

And yes, Corset Cosmic Boy will likely be in there somewhere just for kicks. To even it out, I'll have to do Funky Swimsuit Saturn Girl. Man I miss the 70s sometimes. :) The main members will all be in there, but I'm really looking forward to doing Bouncing Boy/Duo Damsel. I've been begging my wife to cosplay with me as them at a convention...she could totally pull off the outfit (and I'm the spitting image of Mr. Taine).
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    @Library Boy- you had me confused for a moment with you comment since Al is my first name too. LOL