Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1242 Talkback: Comic Talk

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited June 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
We talk about the most recent Wizard World Philadelphia convention, Jamal Igle's 'Molly Danger' book joins the Action Lab family, Mike catches us up on what he's been doing recently and we debut his new segment 'Gallagher's Gallows'. (1:03:33)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    JamfebJamfeb Posts: 24
    Great episode apart from making this poor Englishman jealous because of all the amazing Cons you have in the states. Any idea if London Super Comic Con is having a 2nd year?
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited June 2012
    I wish the "WildPig" couple only the best in their future as a fan of his episodes on CGS. Oh well there is always next year for HeroesCon. Don't go too hard on the other geeks Mike we all have our regina piles of trades/comics on the perpetual back burner. Jamie D., what happened to Brubaker's Cap run after #601 or 602 did it take that big of a noisedive in terms of quality of writing. Was Alan Davis' art still good? I put Cap on the long hiatus list with the $3.99 price tag. More Time Bubble yeah!!!! Jumps for joy!!!

Thanks for today's episode since I have a long day ahead in hopes of passing my annual apt. inspection & this was just the pick me up I needed.

Matthew
  • Options
    ChrisSnellChrisSnell Posts: 34
    I think Brubaker's recent arc with a new Scourge of the Underworld is pretty fun. Diamondback returns (though I know that won't entice Jamie).

Quick thought, though: It seems like the Muddle the Murd segments are way too tough. For example, it seems like each question should elicit one answer. I feel like there are way too many, "name the seven team members," or "name all four artists" type of questions. I think that's really like asking seven or four questions, respectively. Just my thoughts. What say the rest of you?
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I think Brubaker's recent arc with a new Scourge of the Underworld is pretty fun. Diamondback returns (though I know that won't entice Jamie).

Quick thought, though: It seems like the Muddle the Murd segments are way too tough. For example, it seems like each question should elicit one answer. I feel like there are way too many, "name the seven team members," or "name all four artists" type of questions. I think that's really like asking seven or four questions, respectively. Just my thoughts. What say the rest of you?
    We were just discussing that on the Muddle the Murd thread.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    The closest George Washington came to being associated with my wedding was at the bachelor party. Lots of George's were in the room that night.
  • Options
    UrbalcloudUrbalcloud Posts: 42
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the fun episode, Geeks!

I agree that Muddle the Murd is a little too tough. One answer per question seems a logical way to rein it in a bit.

That's exciting news about Igle heading to Action Lab. Double Jumpers #1 was really fun, and you can't throw a rock without hitting some positive press on Princeless. Hopefully, this talent grab will keep up the company's momentum.

And I think the third possible Marvel war Mike was trying to remember was the "Reckoning War" Slott's been teasing since his She-Hulk days. Personally, I hope there's a more interesting story hook than simply an erupting war. It feels like the past 3 events have been wars: The Asgard war (Siege), the Asgardian pseudo-God war (Fear Itself), and the thinly-veiled bigotry war (AvX).
  • Options
    rochvailrochvail Posts: 1
    Mike mentioned reading Black Metal Vol.1 recently... I love that series and you don't need to be a metalhead to read it. I had the pleasure of interviewing artist Chuck BB (twice) and writer Rick Spears about the book on my podcast Radioactive Metal. Do yourselves a favor and listen to it!

The first interview is with Chuck BB and was recorded while he was working on Black Metal Vol. 2:

Episode 176: BB Black Metal King
    http://www.ironcityrocks.com/RAM/RAM176.mp3

The second interview is with Chuck BB and Rick Spears and what recorded one or two weeks before the release of Black Metal Vol. 2:

Episode 183: Black Metal Literature
    http://www.ironcityrocks.com/RAM/RAM183.mp3

If you like our show and want to check out more episodes, check us out on iTunes!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited June 2012
    Adam, you actually did not buy me a copy of From Hell. I started reading Jamie's copy, than after a year and only being 1/3 through, I bought a copy at one of the Wild Pig sales.

Mike, I WISH I had the kind of time that would allow me to read all the comics, trades, novels, and movies sitting around. I'm always multitasking and it just doesn't allow me to consume the entertainment and do other things at the same time. And I don't have the kind of time just to devote to consuming the entertainment.

Anyone else notice Jamie referenced following tweets a couple of times? What's you're twitter handle Jamie? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd want to follow your tweets.

M.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    The closest George Washington came to being associated with my wedding was at the bachelor party. Lots of George's were in the room that night.
    I'm sure you made many young women with daddy issues very happy that night.
  • Options
    I'm still disappointed that I couldn't attend the Denver Con. However, I was able to meet Charlito, Mr. Phil, Bruce, and The Phranque at a Thursday night pre-party. And, I had the pleasure of meeting The Rios Friday afternoon while folks were registering. I've got to say, meeting all the above was a better experience then shaking hands with Neal Adams at the pre-party.
    I sent Charlito a text congratulating him, and all involved, on the wonderful thing they accomplished. I want to take a moment to write it here. They did something amazing and have every right to be pleased with their accomplishment.

Quick story. While I was hanging out in the registration area I did a lot of people watching. There was a certain woman. She was four foot nothing and very curvy. She looked like a Steve Mannion drawing come to life. She was wearing iridescent blue spandex pants and a Supergirl T with a yellow spandex "wife beater" underneath. This is what caught my eye. She kept pulling at the bottom of her shirts in an exaggerated Picard maneuver. She was working very hard to achieve the proper cleavage to t-shirt ratio.

One of the few times I wish I had a smart phone.
  • Options
    When they separated the Bucky story from Cap, it seemed to take the sales out of Brubaker. Alan Davis art work was the only saving grace for that first arc. I used to read this first off the pile, I am now about 3 issues behind and dont have a desire to catch up. Sad
    QFT!
    Bru really likes Bucky, doesn't he. Winter Soldier is a really good read.
  • Options
    I'm really hungry for a sandwich now...do I have to wait until issue #5 of that Great American Sandwich detective craptastic book?
  • Options
    I was too late in getting in on the initial funding bandwagon for the All New Issues book. I haven't thought of a good Stump the Murd yet, so is there anywhere I can buy it?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Loved Jamie's listing of upcoming Alan Moore goodness. Mike's new segment is good fun - and it would be even better if some sample page (or links) would be posted here. Just by listening one almost wants to have that comic.....

Good to know that Mike is getting work in the business. Congrats!

I LOVE the "Comic Talk" :x
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Love the new segment with Mike.
  • Options
    Adam, you actually did not buy me a copy of From Hell. I started reading Jamie's copy, than after a year and only being 1/3 through, I bought a copy at one of the Wild Pig sales.

Mike, I WISH I had the kind of time that would allow me to read all the comics, trades, novels, and movies sitting around. I'm always multitasking and it just doesn't allow me to consume the entertainment and do other things at the same time. And I don't have the kind of time just to devote to consuming the entertainment.

Anyone else notice Jamie referenced following tweets a couple of times? What's you're twitter handle Jamie? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd want to follow your tweets.

M.
    I was reading comics, producing a comic, doing design work, trying to have a life, fitting in to CGS, and working 70 hours a week. I still made time to read comics. Depends on what is important to you. You make time for what is important.
  • Options
    Loved Jamie's listing of upcoming Alan Moore goodness. Mike's new segment is good fun - and it would be even better if some sample page (or links) would be posted here. Just by listening one almost wants to have that comic.....

I'll do it tomorrow on the gallagher's gallows thread!
  • Options
    edited June 2012

M.
    I was reading comics, producing a comic, doing design work, trying to have a life, fitting in to CGS, and working 70 hours a week. I still made time to read comics. Depends on what is important to you. You make time for what is important.
    Wait...are we looking to compare lifestyles and responsibilities here? I don't feel the need to justify anything here, but I have to admit, you lost me with a few of these. Wouldn't 2 & 3 be a part of 6? I really cannot make heads or tails on 4 (do or do not, there is no "try") and 5 (???).

M.
  • Options
    Leave me out of your posts, Matt.
    Pick up the phone instead, friend.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Great-Sandwich-Detective/137729116274710
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Actually Mike, I was just taken back by the comment of "fitting in to CGS" as taking time. The others are what you make of it, but this one really seems off. There's no Mike-size hole you need to oil up and slide into. It's done, no time needed to make work.

I wasn't trying to engage in any argument (which I don't even do with my wife), rather just commenting on something said on the episode. I cannot speak for the rest of guys and why they don't get things read (Adam's freaking 8-10 years behind!)

To paraphrase a great line by Black Widow from Avengers, getting into a pissing contest is for children. Once you get to the top of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs pyramid you realize there is no need, point, or advantage to show up anyone else. I'm at a point where I'm not going to do that or make an attempt to do that with anyone. That was never the purpose of my initial post or the follow up. Sorry if that's how you took it.

This has gotten me to start on my 2013 resolutions. Looks like next year will include "read those comics, TPB, and novels that were started & never finished or never started."

M.

And can I please get another "flag" icon? I'm going to keep trying until I get the checkered one!

• Options
    Actually Mike, I was just taken back by the comment of "fitting in to CGS" as taking time. The others are what you make of it, but this one really seems off. There's no Mike-size hole you need to oil up and slide into. It's done, no time needed to make work.

I wasn't trying to engage in any argument (which I don't even do with my wife), rather just commenting on something said on the episode. I cannot speak for the rest of guys and why they don't get things read (Adam's freaking 8-10 years behind!)

To paraphrase a great line by Black Widow from Avengers, getting into a pissing contest is for children. Once you get to the top of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs pyramid you realize there is no need, point, or advantage to show up anyone else. I'm at a point where I'm not going to do that or make an attempt to do that with anyone. That was never the purpose of my initial post or the follow up. Sorry if that's how you took it.

This has gotten me to start on my 2013 resolutions. Looks like next year will include "read those comics, TPB, and novels that were started & never finished or never started."

M.

And can I please get another "flag" icon? I'm going to keep trying until I get the checkered one!

Great way to listen, Matt.

Since you fail to understand anything About me, 'fitting in to CGS' means finding the time in my life to be able to read/research/participate with CGS in addition to everything else in my life. Which I have done.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

M.

Great way to listen, Matt.

Since you fail to understand anything About me, 'fitting in to CGS' means finding the time in my life to be able to read/research/participate with CGS in addition to everything else in my life. Which I have done.
    Okay, I was thinking you were trying to fit in rather doing the work for the show. I understand now. I didn't want you to feel like time was needed to fit it.

Hopefully this rights the tracks and gets the thread back to where it belongs.

M
  • Options
    Thanks for the gallows love guys!
    I added a new prize to the mix too!
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Loved the episode. Strong show for Mr Gallagher. I really enjoyed the Gallows segment and the review of Black Metal. I will definitely be picking up volume 1.
  • Options
    The images for Great sandwich detective are up on the Gallagher's Gallows thread. Check it out
  • Options
    When they separated the Bucky story from Cap, it seemed to take the sales out of Brubaker. Alan Davis art work was the only saving grace for that first arc. I used to read this first off the pile, I am now about 3 issues behind and dont have a desire to catch up. Sad
    I posted the exact same thing the other day. Looks like Brubaker found an element to latch onto with Bucky and still has stories to tell. Does anyone know whether it was Brubaker or Marvel's decision to bring Cap back? I know that the movie was coming out and that played a lot into it but I would have liked Bucky to continue as Cap for a bit longer... just like I wished that Dark Reign went on a bit longer... just like I wished Secret Invasion went on a bit longer.

It probably would have been better to start Cap with a new #1 with a new writer and let Winter Soldier be its own thing. Do you think that a lot of the slump on Cap has to do with the fact that there hasn't been a story in the background connecting the issues together and building towards something big, on the level of the Winter Soldier storyline? I know that is what I've been expecting. That is probably why I had a bit of a problem with Alan Davis' art from the first story arc. I love Alan Davis' stuff but with Cap being so gritty to see such a bright version of Cap was a bit of a shock to the system. I expected it to carry on like the Winter Soldier is now artwise but was surprised when I didn't and I think that marked a difference with what we have gotten with Cap for the last few years. I guess it was a shock to the system like Daredevil was if you read the last series and compared the art to the current series with its lighter tone and happier colouring.

But it was good to see a throw back to Kirby and a great artist playing with that.