Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Would you be OK with TV series' "ending" and then starting again, like arcs?

ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
This is a topic I have brought up for a long time and discussed with a lot of people in person but never in cyberspace. The current trend is to ride a hot commodity TV show into the ground and beyond usually by stretching out an originally written script to the point that the show ends up being canceled before properly ending or with a million loose ends left over. I have always thought that a show should try actually ending say after a season or two/three seasons and then start again with a new storyline or different tale in the same world and with the same cast. People tend to be more invested in the characters and the world from my experience. Would you be OK with that? Would your interest wane if it wasn't one monolithic storyline?

For instance the current series Once Upon a Time. If the first arc had been say three seasons and ends with the final battle which would be about the right pace for the story at hand with no filler, and then a new storyline (same cast) begins. Could be "in continuity," could be a new setting, or entirely different (even different/new cast). Do any of those three options appeal more or less to you?

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I would be OK with that.

And I wonder if HBO, in a way, has already been doing this, albeit not as formerly as calling the break between seasons "endings" as opposed to just breaks between seasons that are allowed to be longer than the traditional network TV schedule.

Sopranos' creator/EP David Chase memorably once took, I think it might have been, 18 months off between seasons, because that is how much time he felt he and his writers needed. And HBO let them do it, and I know I was still interested and up for more Sopranos once it came back, and so were a lot of other people. I believe Curb Your Enthusiasm has also been allowed to have an unusual release schedule that way, too.

The idea that HBO (which, in my opinion, consistently makes the best television there is) has maintained audiences for shows and let the creative needs dictate the schedule more than the calendar shows that this model is possible.

I also love the shorter seasons that are more common outside the US, but have become common on cable.

(Though I would imagine it is expensive-- from talent holding deals, to the marketing effort of reminding an audience that this or that show exists and regathering them once they may have dissipated. Sure, Sopranos did it, but that was an extraordinarily popular show that came to wield a lot of cultural influence in its time. I do think that a show may have to really grab an audience interest to keep them interested over a long break.)
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    I feel like the BBC Sherlock Holmes minis are doing this in a sense.
    There is some multi-season arcs, but Season 1 had its arc, as did Season 2. And each had a fulfilling end to the season arc.

Heck. Downton Abbey felt like it did this too... um at least thats what I gather from what my wife said... I was to busy rebulding a transmission... yeah thats it. transmission...
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    This is a pretty British way of looking at things. If you notice each season of Doctor Who or any other bbc show I referred to as an individual "series".

I could get down with tv functioning like Hellboy here in the US. I wonder though if that wouldn't be like the made for tv movies that have recurring characters like that Tom Sellek Jessie Stone stuff.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Isn't this what American Horror Story is doing? Next year is a totally new setting and story but with the same actors, right?

Also didn't Buffy kind of do this? Every year they built up a new threat and ended the season fighting them.

Now that I think of it, Dexter seems to do it as well ( I haven't watched the last 2 seasons yet). It's usually Dexter versus someone worse than him, for a year.
  • Options
    TV Show seasons should be like levels of Super Mario Bros.
    - Same basic cast of characters (good and bad)
    - familiar feel
    -maybe new surroundings or twists to react to
    - big bad at the end of the season/level allows for closure, but just leads to the NEXT bigger thing.

oh and magic mushrooms that make you grow big.
  • Options
    The Sherlock BBC series is a great example (and one I love) and yes there are shows handled this way but it is not very common and less so on American TV. I find it far more satisfying than when a show begins to sprawl all over the place as a network does everything it can to stretch out a show and its popularity. I'd rather have nice contained and complete stories told with more care and focus personally and keep coming back. It is a strange phenomenon though in that many American TV watchers aren't as open to this and I think it comes from just less familiarity. I've had this conversation in some different circles and the responses really vary wildly, I kinda figured here with a lot of people most likely into a more diverse range of shows it would be less of an issue.

Does the cast matter to you season to season? If it were the same cast but new scenario/environment/setting is that more important to you than a new cast with each arc? I am kind of one of the types that is more attached to the cast and the overall world/characterizations so I prefer the same cast. However, I much prefer a fully new cast to one chopped up into some old and some new if it comes to it.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    I usually prefer it when shows work this way rather than try to stretch the entire premise out for years and years. A good example (IMO) was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Joss Whendon would start and end a storyline with each season. The character arcs would continue but the story itself would be new each year.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    The Sherlock BBC series is a great example (and one I love) and yes there are shows handled this way but it is not very common and less so on American TV. I find it far more satisfying than when a show begins to sprawl all over the place as a network does everything it can to stretch out a show and its popularity. I'd rather have nice contained and complete stories told with more care and focus personally and keep coming back. It is a strange phenomenon though in that many American TV watchers aren't as open to this and I think it comes from just less familiarity. I've had this conversation in some different circles and the responses really vary wildly, I kinda figured here with a lot of people most likely into a more diverse range of shows it would be less of an issue.

Does the cast matter to you season to season? If it were the same cast but new scenario/environment/setting is that more important to you than a new cast with each arc? I am kind of one of the types that is more attached to the cast and the overall world/characterizations so I prefer the same cast. However, I much prefer a fully new cast to one chopped up into some old and some new if it comes to it.
    I think partly the resistance that the mainstream television audience has had to shorter, more spread-out seasons is due to how casually most TV viewers watch what they watch. From studies I have heard quoted (don't know how old they are now) the majority of viewers only sporadically watch episodes of shows they say they love. And even the advent of DVR and On-Demand viewing has not significantly changed that. To most of the main audience, a show is not a series to be consumed, novel-like, from beginning to end, but rather it is that thing that is on Wednesday nights at this or that time, and if they are in the mood for that they'll turn it on. Sadly (despite there being so much great television being made right now) that still seems to be the relationship between the majority of viewers and what they watch.

Now, that may be completely different from how we around here watch what we watch... but given the fact that we are the types to discuss our art and entertainment on a forum probably puts us solidly outside the world of mainstream viewers.

As for the question about the cast season to season, I think that is a really interesting one (and I may be misunderstanding: do you mean a different cast playing the same characters? Or new characters? I assume you mean the latter).

if a series had a strong central premise or even an anthology approach I would be up for it. Though that is pretty rare, as the intimate and serial nature of television means it is probably even more character-driven of a medium than film. So it is hard to think of many shows in which you could have a completely new group of characters and have it still be the same show. But I would be up for it. I personally love when a story with a big, ensemble cast gets to survive and stretch out over enough time that you either have a lot of new people coming in as it goes along, or even have characters who fall out of the spotlight and you see again later in some completely new place in their life.

That is one of the things I loved about The Wire-- when you meet the character 'Prez' (Jim True-Frost) he is in one place in his life and work that couldn't be more different then where he ends up in seasons 4 and 5. It is an organic progression, but it is rare that you get to see a TV character change that much in the course of a series. Usually everyone just keeps being who they were conceived to be the whole time.
  • Options
    David you definitely hit on a bunch of the areas I find interesting too in it all. The cast question I was asking more as a different cast playing the same characters when a new arc or story were to start (sort of like Dr. Who) but your response is also something I wonder about where it is a new story and new characters but in a persistent world or setting. Unfortunately all of it is rather rare because it is just done the same 2-3 ways over and over and that is something I think a network could really set itself apart by breaking out a bit. I agree about HBO, but even they have some constraints which is a shame but it is definitely more than a lot of network stuff.

It is also interesting to me because people always clamor for something new or different but when it comes down to it they usually want more of the same. I loved Weeds (I still kinda do) but they went so far out of what the show was that it lost a lot... but they could have told those same stories in a more clean manner had they just ended and began new stories. We're such slaves to convention at times and I think there are whole hosts of new ways to do shows and tell stories that never get a chance. I've talked about this with some folks I know in TV and they are always for it but claim it is impossible for a whole host of reasons, I think it is only impossible until someone really does it right and then I think the freedom it would offer would appeal to a lot of writers and even actors.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    It depends on whether or not the show lends itself to the concept.

Case in point- Dr. Who: The Doctor is an alien, so the concept of an Alien creature regenerating itself in an attempt to extend its life makes sense.

Argument against- My Hero: The sixth series in this show also had the main character change bodies. Except in this case; we're talking about a family sticom so they had to cook up a plot that turned the character's original form into a deadbeat dad (Fun for the whole family, right?)
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I have come to prefer with dramas the shorter 12 episode seasons. That way you don't usually get filler episodes.That is the main reason I have given up on broadcast tv,and really most shows on cable.
  • Options
    Futurama baby! Better than the Simpsons, and the quality is still high. Anyone who says no can bite my shiny daffodil a**.

On the otherhand, I just saw Bablyon 5: The Lost Tales. The special effects would have been better if the actors were standing in a cardboard box with crayon drawings. Win some, lose some.
  • Options

I think it depends on the show and how the show is built. a show like Sherlock would die if the cast changed but they kept the "modern version of Holmsian England" setting... ok it wouldnt work at all since its called Holmes or something.... So much of TV is character driven, but the ones that are large ensembles (I think BSG, or from the recent past ER) where the focal point could move around the cast would work. Not jettisoning parts, but just moving the camera focus to different people inside the space.
  • Options
    I actually think the concept works for most shows not just where it is written in like alien/alternate bodies/etc. instances. It would just require a bit of a shift in the thinking and choices made in crafting the seasons/arcs but I have to believe the added freedom and openness would let some shows really take advantage of it and break some new ground without the lead weights/trappings of the more traditional approach hold them back.