Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Coming in Oct. Howe's Marvel Comics: The Untold Story

As reported on by The Beat:
From a tiny office on Madison Avenue in the early 1960s, a struggling company named "Marvel Comics" introduced a series of bright-costumed superhero characters distinguished by smart banter and compellingly human flaws. "Spider-Man", "The Fantastic Four", "Captain America", "The Incredible Hulk"," The Avengers", "Iron Man", "Thor"," The X-Men", "Daredevil" - these superheroes quickly won children's hearts and sparked the imagination of pop artists, public intellectuals, and campus radicals. Over the course of half a century, Marvel's epic universe would become the most elaborate fictional narrative in history and serve as a modern American mythology for millions of readers. Interweaving history, anecdotes, and analysis, Sean Howe traces Marvel's decades - long rise to a multi-billion-dollar enterprise, revealing how it weathered "Wall Street" machinations, Hollywood failures, legal battles, and the collapse of the comic book market. He shows how Marvel's identity has continually shifted, careening between scrappy underdog and corporate behemoth. He also introduces the men behind the magic, including self-made publisher Martin Goodman, energetic editor Stan Lee, and Jack Kirby, the WWII veteran and co-creator of many of the company's marquee characters. A story of fertile imaginations, lifelong friendships, action-packed fistfights, reformed criminals, unlikely alliances, and third-act betrayals that incorporates more than one hundred original interviews with Marvel insiders then and now, "Marvel Comics: The Untold Story" is a gripping narrative of one of the most dominant pop cultural forces in contemporary America.
Already available for pre-order on Amazon and other places. And this is a hardcover from Harper, so that means there is definitely some money behind this book and a belief there is an audience for it. I would imagine to justify all that it is likely a well-sourced and interesting read. It might be this will finally have more about Martin Goodman, as Pierre Comtois said on the show recently he was a figure from Marvel's history he is looking to hear more about.

Here's a little something the Beat said about it:
I have a galley of the book. The last page is a photo of Kirby and toupee-less Stan Lee from the 60s together. There are chapters on the early timely days right up to the Ike adventures of no lightbulbs. I know what I’m reading on the plane to San Diego!

Comments