Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Murd's Time Bubble Talkback: The Seventeenth Time

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited June 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Another round of retrograde reviews! Superman returns to (pre-Crisis??) Krypton! Spider-Man revisits a chapter of his career he thought he'd closed in 1969! Bongo's Radioactive Man celebrates a 1963 milestone, a mere 38 years late! It's all happenin' in 2001, baby; come along for the ride! (1:17:54)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Pulse-pounding promotional patter, Pants!
  • Options
    poisonelf1poisonelf1 Posts: 40
    Really enjoying these!
    It's about when I got back into the big two after a 8 year hiatus!
    So it's nice to get this info in my head!
    Thanks.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Can't wait to listen to this. Like Murd I also have a huge backlog of comics to read.
  • Options
    Murd sounds like Venus Fly Trap from WKRP in this episode. Right on!
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    Great episode, Mr. Murdough. I love the Time Bubble, as your typically tranquil and quiet demeanor gets shunted aside by the funkadelic radio personality simmering just below that placid surface.

I also appreciate learning about many of the comics I missed at that time, as my mainstream habit was waning as early as the mid-90s. The Superman issue, and subsequent crossover story, you discussed sounds intriguing. It is entirely possible that I have that issue, as the Loeb/McGuinness run was required reading for comic fans up here in Maine, as Mr. McGuinness moved from Massachusetts to the next town over from me around this time.

I have quite a number of issues from their run, and I am continually amazed at how important it is for Jeph Loeb to be paired up with a good - and I might even say a specific - artist. Until their recent Hulk run, I had found almost everything I had read from the Loeb/McGuinness team to be purely entertaining. And the same can be said of the Loeb/Sale books I've read - fantastic stuff. I don't know if he writes differently for them, or that they are able to hide the deficiencies in Loeb's writing with their great art. Something I may need to ponder.

And Star Wars Tales. I only have one issue, but the one you discuss here is that one. Got it for the Scott Morse story and stayed for the rest (to paraphrase, badly, an old cliche). Morse is in my top 5 comic creators, and I will buy his work sight unseen without thinking. With very few exceptions, he delivers great comics every single time. Thanks for reminding me of this book. I'll be pulling it out of the longboxes this weekend to read again.

Looking forward to your Morrison X-Men talk, and whatever else is on the pile. And thanks for the Time Bubble sir. The work you do is much appreciated.

chris
  • Options
    Star Wars Tales is one of the few Star Wars series I find entertaining. I'm glad you also think so, Mr. Murdo. It makes me want to go into my storage boxes to find my old issues and TPBs. I remember all of those stories, and agree that the Audrey II cameo in Sarlac was painful, although the original Audrey II in all her glory in Little Shop of Horrors is still awesome. For some reason, I thought "Skippy the Jedi Droid", written by Peter David, was in this bunch, but my memory can be somewhat cranky.
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29
    Always enjoy your Time Bubbling, Adam. I haven't read any of the books that you reviewed, but I found it enjoyable to listen to your thoughts in things nonetheless.
    I think the only thing that sticks in my mind in particular, was when you were talking about Mike DeCarlo. I don't even remember in what context his name came up other than I don't think you liked what he was doing. To which I can only say, of course. :).
    I've got so many runs of books where DeCarlo came on as the inker and my enjoyment of the book's art immediately fell. Legion. New Teen Titans. There's probably others that I've tried to forget. I don't know if it's because he has a heavy hand or lets more of his own personal style come through but I never like the result. Someday I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, though, and find a book which suits his style.
  • Options
    seb_pinterseb_pinter Posts: 50
    Good old Time Bubble, always a pleasant surprise to find a new one on my ipod during a day's hard graft... The thought of you dissecting Grant Morrison's New X-men is a tantalising one indeed, looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Really enjoyable show.
    My first listen to one of the Time Bubble audio spheres,
    I'll enjoy going backwards through these temporal wave-formed dimensions!