Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hellblazer

Hey guys, I used to be a big Hellblazer fan, but for various reasons have been out of the loop for about 2 years now. I would really like to pick it up again but I'm not really sure where to start from. Does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Answer ✓
    The good thing about Hellblazer, I think, is that you can jump in anywhere. That is not to say there is not continuity, but sort of like the private investigator or detective in a series of novels, you can pretty well look in on Constantine and find he is still Constantine (though older, and with more blood under the bridge).

I am not sure if you were already reading the Milligan era before you jumped off (he has been on the book more than 2 years, I think). But you could either go back and start with the Scab trade (starts with #250), or if you want to jump onto a more recent point, the Bloody Carnations trade includes a big change in Constantine's life, as well as the seeds of stories that are playing out now.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Answer ✓
    I would say anywhere between issues 250 and 275. You want to start before the wedding. Epiphany is terribly important now.
    The wedding, 275, is where everything going on now begins.Starting before will flesh out some of the characters and situations involved, but if you do not want to go too far back, start with the wedding.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Answer ✓
    Also, depending on how far back your Hellblazer reading goes, Vertigo is, for the first time (finally) getting everything into sequential trades, including a lot of early issues that had never been traded in the US. So now more than ever you can go back to the very beginning and (if they keep at it) eventually read it all. There are some fantastic stories to be had in those early years.

Answers

• Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    The early trades started a couple of years ago. Great to read the Delano stuff again, and the art on some of those early issues was brilliant!
  • Options
    The early trades started a couple of years ago. Great to read the Delano stuff again, and the art on some of those early issues was brilliant!
    I've wanted to read Hellblazer for ages but I didn't know where to start. I started with the new trades but I just wish DC would get their backside in gear to release them sooner.
  • Options
    Dc needs to give Constantine that hardback treatment they are giving fables and y the last man
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Dc needs to give Constantine that hardback treatment they are giving fables and y the last man
    Yeah,to me Constantine deserves it more than Sandman.
  • Options
    PaulPhelanPaulPhelan Posts: 45
    If you're looking for early stories, Garth Ennis' run sets a good standard, and Paul Jenkins' work on the title is one of my favourite runs on the title, but isn't to everyone's taste
  • Options
    They should do 40 issue omnibus/deluxe editions and just get them out there. I'm tired of waiting for trade and the cost of back issues around where I live (not in America) is insane. Quite often Hellblazer back issues are $5 each