Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Did the movie say who "the Broker" was working for? I figure it was either Thanos or the Collector ...
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    RickM said:

Did the same theater show an "I Love Lucy" DVD instead of the Scarlett Johannson film? Seriously, how do you accidently show the wrong, two-year-old movie?

I would guess it was a packaging mistake made at the distributor, or even more likely, at some middle-man outfit that sends out discs on behalf of the distributor.

Of course, back in MY day, when you projected on film you had to actually assemble a print from reels, so you would have a much better chance of spotting that it was actually the wrong movie. And if you were at a good theater, you would also run the whole print to test it (and, perhaps, entertain the staff and some friends after hours).

I mean, all sorts of things could still go wrong, but you wouldn't just look at a disc that came in a box that says "Guardians" on it, pop it in for the first show and hope for the best.

Now, please hand me the cup with my teeth in it.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited August 2014
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/aint-no-thing-like-me-except-me

Marvel Held A Private Screening For The Brain Damaged Co-Creator Of Rocket Raccoon
    Marvel’s vice president wanted to make sure the man responsible for Guardians of the Galaxy’s foul-mouthed raccoon got to finally see him in action.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    bamfbamf said:

Marvel Held A Private Screening For The Brain Damaged Co-Creator Of Rocket Raccoon
    Marvel’s vice president wanted to make sure the man responsible for Guardians of the Galaxy’s foul-mouthed raccoon got to finally see him in action.

Feel-Good Story of the Year.
  • Options

Did the movie say who "the Broker" was working for? I figure it was either Thanos or the Collector ...

Pretty sure he was working for The Collector.

Didn't he send Yondu there?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Pretty sure he was working for The Collector.

Didn't he send Yondu there?

Ah, yes. There ya go. Thanks.

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Holy cow! I would so buy a Dancing Baby Groot toy. That was awesome.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    well if u believe this guy...

@AgentM
    Executive Editorial Director, @Marvel Digital Media. Writer, blogger, lover of tacos, tattoos, comics, video games, pop culture & cute stuff. Personal account!

"For everyone who's asked me about a dancing [spoiler-free] #GuardiansOfTheGalaxy toy--we've been discussing for months. No info yet!"
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    RickM said:

Did the same theater show an "I Love Lucy" DVD instead of the Scarlett Johannson film? Seriously, how do you accidently show the wrong, two-year-old movie?

What gets me is that the article says they kept downloading the wrong movie even after catching the mistake.

A) Why on earth would Return of the Guardians still be downloadable for theaters when it's a couple years old?

B) Wouldn't the top release of the weekend be glaringly obvious on whatever system they use to download things for digital projection? I would have guessed it would be the first thing visible, while a two year old film would require effort to find.

The Regal cinema around here seems to be prone to mistakes, as well, so maybe it's a company wide problem. For about 3-4 months last year they didn't change the "Now Showing" sign outside their theater because they claimed in a newspaper interview that the employee who did that had quit. No one else knows how to change letters on a sign? I honestly thought they'd gone out of business.
  • Options
    From Gunn's facebook:

James Gunn shared a link.
    7 minutes ago near Los Angeles, CA
    Hello fellow nerds.

Sometimes people's incorrect beliefs about science gained from past works of fiction - such as that a person will explode in outer space without a spacesuit - can often make them believe the correct science within another work of fiction is inaccurate. This is just a little about the science of Guardians of the Galaxy, which has been much debated.

There are minor SPOILERS TO FOLLOW, as well as in the attached article, so be wary...

Firstly, BadAsss Digest is right in the following article, I was making first and foremost a space fantasy or space opera, a pulp film, and that fun trumps everything. That said I wanted to make sure the film was as scientifically accurate as it could be. So I consulted with a NASA scientist throughout the film. One of my questions was whether Peter Quill could survive in outer space without a spacesuit, and without the top of his head and hands covered. The answer is yes, for a short amount of time, if he had oxygen. And, without a mask, if he released all oxygen from his lungs, for a significantly shorter amount of time.

Throughout test screenings, people would be upset when Quill saves Gamora and both of them survive in space for a short amount of time without space suits or oxygen. But I had to stick to my guns in the editing of the film, as it was completely possible. In addition to the reasons the article states, there are a few more why Quill and Gamora survive -
    -Gamora is genetically and cybernetically enhanced, allowing her to stay alive longer than Quill would.
    -When Quill is in outer space outside both the Kyln and Knowhere, there is no anti-gravity, but there is residual atmosphere from those places. Rocket even mentions it to Quill outside Knowhere. This lessens the impact of space.
    -Much of the scene is shot in slow motion, meaning it takes up more time on screen than it would in real life.
    -The airlock within the Eclector (Yondu's ship) has regenerative properties, which is why both Quill and Gamora are all good when they are pulled into the ship. After all, the Ravagers are a bunch of thrill-seeking idiots. One of Kraglin's favorite pastimes is probably jumping out into outer space completely nude for a few seconds and quickly clamoring back in.

I also have reasons for why the Milano and other vehicles are able to travel between planets at such fast speeds, but I'll probably save that for later on.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    bamfbamf said:

James Gunn said it was the POWER gem in GOTG...

i guess they are not following the color scheme of the comics

Interesting, though it doesn't shed much light on which ones the other two are supposed to be.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited August 2014
    bamfbamf said:

Big PR win for Marvel on this one.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    bamfbamf said:
    Um. #2. The first one kindve hurt.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Mr_Cosmic said:

bamfbamf said:

James Gunn said it was the POWER gem in GOTG...

i guess they are not following the color scheme of the comics

Interesting, though it doesn't shed much light on which ones the other two are supposed to be.
    Just guessing, but didn't the Aether mess wreak havoc with all the different Realms? So, maybe Space?

And since it's the Cosmic Cube, I guess I just assumed that was Reality.

And if it turns out that's a gem in Loki's staff (which I think is unlikely - I think we'll see another gem in Doctor Strange, maybe the second Guardians, with Thanos finding the last one in Avengers 3), perhaps that one was Mind, since he used it to control people?

Honestly, none of them seem to have any specific abilities beyond destroying stuff, so I'm not sure it matters which is which.
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

which version is better?

Surely you jest?
  • Options
    "If you brought a black light in here it would look like a Jackson Pollock painting"

I laughed so hard on that one that I snorted just a little in the theater.

Also, I am going to need a Potted Mini Dancing Groot for my desk at work.
  • Options
    If the gem used in GOTG was the Power Gem, then the 'Tesseract'/Cosmic Cube was most likely the Reality Gem.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Just guessing, but didn't the Aether mess wreak havoc with all the different Realms? So, maybe Space?

D'oh!! I didn't even connect the Aether with the Infinity Gems! Stupid me! I think you're right!
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Best bit of the film was that we got Chris Foss spaceships. Absolutely bonkers that more people haven't used him for film design work.
  • Options
    I must be one of the few that didn't love. I liked it. Thought it was entertaining and fun, but I didn't love it. Out of the Marvel Studios movies, I think this would be ranked 5th for me.

One of the major problems I had was Gamora. That wouldn't be bad if she wasn't intricate to the plot. She was very wishy-washy with things not properly or even shown. She just turned on Thanos with no set-up. She wants to kill Peter but then she changes her mind and babbles on something about honor. She wants to save her sister even though it doesn't seem like she likes her sister. She's a badass fighter but then she's scared while in prison. She can kill dudes but then she has to constantly be rescued. It was all very confusing. Gamora was whatever was convenient to the plot.

The whole Nova Corp was also a bit of a let down. I'm not the biggest Nova fan but at least they kind of looked cool, the whole bucket helmet thing aside. They were just regular dudes in ugly uniforms.

Another weakness was they should have shown the war between the aliens. There should have been glimpses here and there of it. As it was, I didn't care because I was never shown it.

Lastly, I'm a HUGE Thanos fan, but Thanos is kind of lame. Then again, I never much cared for the Darkseid rip, generic mastermind villain version. I much prefer the introspective, does what's right for him, may kill or help you, quest for knowledge, saves the universe but never gets any props, uses his brains over brawn version. And man, that costume of his looked dumb. I blame that terrible Jason Aaron mini-series.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    Hellsfire said:

I must be one of the few that didn't love. I liked it. Thought it was entertaining and fun, but I didn't love it. Out of the Marvel Studios movies, I think this would be ranked 5th for me.

One of the major problems I had was Gamora. That wouldn't be bad if she wasn't intricate to the plot. She was very wishy-washy with things not properly or even shown. She just turned on Thanos with no set-up. She wants to kill Peter but then she changes her mind and babbles on something about honor. She wants to save her sister even though it doesn't seem like she likes her sister. She's a badass fighter but then she's scared while in prison. She can kill dudes but then she has to constantly be rescued. It was all very confusing. Gamora was whatever was convenient to the plot.

The whole Nova Corp was also a bit of a let down. I'm not the biggest Nova fan but at least they kind of looked cool, the whole bucket helmet thing aside. They were just regular dudes in ugly uniforms.

Another weakness was they should have shown the war between the aliens. There should have been glimpses here and there of it. As it was, I didn't care because I was never shown it.

Lastly, I'm a HUGE Thanos fan, but Thanos is kind of lame. Then again, I never much cared for the Darkseid rip, generic mastermind villain version. I much prefer the introspective, does what's right for him, may kill or help you, quest for knowledge, saves the universe but never gets any props, uses his brains over brawn version. And man, that costume of his looked dumb. I blame that terrible Jason Aaron mini-series.

I do not see her as being wishy washy. She was never trying to kill Peter Quill. She was trying to take the orb without killing him. In this film Gamora is tired of killing people and is looking for a way out. I thought how quickly she turned the table in the prison scene showed she was just waiting for a moment to do so.

I thought Gamora and Nebula both explained that Thanos had tortured them to turn them into killing machines. I think there a big difference between not liking a sibling, and wanting to see them die.

The alien war had just ended I am not sure how much showing fighting would have added to the film.

• Options
    Like, whoa ...

"Guardians of the Galaxy: Adam Warlock's Cocoon Confirmed"

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/05/guardians-of-the-galaxy-adam-warlocks-coccoon-confirmed/

Not that anyone seriously doubted it, but yes, that is Adam Warlock's cocoon that appeared in Thor: The Dark World and Guardians of the Galaxy, as part of The Collector's larger-than-life museum of Marvel Universe curiosities.

That's according to a podcast for Empire Magazine, where Guardians director James Gunn mentioned it -- along with other items in the collection (the most obvious being Howard the Duck and Cosmo).

"There are the slither creature from my movie Slither behind The Collector, those guys are pretty obvious. You have Adam Warlock's cocoon, you have all sorts of other characters from Marvel movies."

And since we've heard from more than one person that they're pretty sure the cocoon was open and empty after the Infinity Gem laid the Collector's lair to waste...
  • Options
    spid said:

I do not see her as being wishy washy. She was never trying to kill Peter Quill. She was trying to take the orb without killing him. In this film Gamora is tired of killing people and is looking for a way out. I thought how quickly she turned the table in the prison scene showed she was just waiting for a moment to do so.

I thought Gamora and Nebula both explained that Thanos had tortured them to turn them into killing machines. I think there a big difference between not liking a sibling, and wanting to see them die.

The alien war had just ended I am not sure how much showing fighting would have added to the film.

I too had no issue with Gamora. Your characterization of her jives with my thoughts as well.

As for the Kree - Zandar war, and this is just me, I would have loved to have seen a shot of the Kree military, I don't know, like lined up in formation on the tarmac behind their ambassador during the video call or something. Some blue skinned, some pink skinned. Whatever. Would've been some cool fanboy candy.
  • Options
    How great is Chris Pratt? (Spoiler alert: "Very")

"Chris Pratt Stole His Guardians of the Galaxy Costume...You Know, For Kids!"

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/05/chris-pratt-stole-his-guardians-of-the-galaxy-costume-you-know-f/
    “I stole the jacket and some of the wardrobe so that, if this movie comes out and does what everyone hopes it can, I can follow the example of someone — say, like, a Russell Wilson — and go visit kids. If it was a big enough movie to where it would mean something to a kid who’s sick in the hospital for Peter Quill or Star-Lord to come visit them, I’ll do that. I think that’s awesome, man. That would give me real meaning for this movie, you know?

Right now, it means high profile, cool jobs coming up, big press tour, and all the excitement of it all. But none of that really means anything. The coolest things would be that my son can one day see this, and that maybe I can go affect some kids in a positive way; be a good role model for them.”

• Options
    spidspid Posts: 203

spid said:

I too had no issue with Gamora. Your characterization of her jives with my thoughts as well.

As for the Kree - Zandar war, and this is just me, I would have loved to have seen a shot of the Kree military, I don't know, like lined up in formation on the tarmac behind their ambassador during the video call or something. Some blue skinned, some pink skinned. Whatever. Would've been some cool fanboy candy.
    Since we know there will be a new Guardians movie we still have time to show off the Kree. With the Age of Ultron coming up next year we still have a chance of them doing an interpretation of Annihilation Conquest for a future Guardians movie.