Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

G.I. Joe comics 50% off sale (until July 4)

Comixology is running a sale on G.I. Joe comics for 50% off. They've got most of the recent IDW stuff, but what's more important is they have the G.I. Joe: Classics Marvel run. Volume 1 is $4.99 (issues 1-10) and subsequent volumes are $5.99 (10 issues/volume).

After listening to the CGS Episode 1241, I picked up the first four volumes and might get more. How about you? Gonna get your Real American Hero fix? I'm excited to read the "silent" issue.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited July 2012
    I will buy some. It will be a first read for me. G.I.Joe is a book that never made it to Switzerland. So this will be another lesson in US comics to me :D

edit: I got overwhelmed by the amount of G.I.Joe stuff out there....and emptied my basket...life's too short...
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I just this past month completed my every GI Joe comic, ever, quest. GI Joe is my #1 love and has been since I was 4. There are some truly amazing issues and runs, the Snake Eyes trilogy #93-96 being the standout for me alongside issue #21. I haven't listened to the CGS episode yet (I was afraid of spoilers for the new stuff I haven't read yet). Looking forward to it though.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I remembered how silly the toys and the cartoon got when I was just hitting middle school, so about 1992, I bid a fond farewell to the Joes. After hearing the episode and hearing Chris say how great a series it was and what a wonderful writer Hama is, I had to check out the comics. I haven't had much time to dig into them, but maybe next week.
  • Options
    DryBonesDryBones Posts: 26
    edited June 2012
    I'm thinking of getting vol. 1-8 unless someone can suggest a better jumping off point.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Thanks for the heads up! I just bought Classic Volumes 1 and 2. The spotlight episode got me excited to read GI Joe. Perfect timing for a Comixology sale!
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78

Hmmm, maybe time I start reading digital comics
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I just this past month completed my every GI Joe comic, ever, quest. GI Joe is my #1 love and has been since I was 4. There are some truly amazing issues and runs, the Snake Eyes trilogy #93-96 being the standout for me alongside issue #21. I haven't listened to the CGS episode yet (I was afraid of spoilers for the new stuff I haven't read yet). Looking forward to it though.
    If by new stuff, you're referring to Devil's Due/IDW, I don't think there were any spoilers for any of them if I recall correctly. If there were, they were minor or they consisted of something like "the World War 3 storyline was great" (which it was - that's a Devil's Due storyline FYI). If you're referring to Marvel stuff you haven't read yet (although if I'm reading you correctly, you've read all or most of the Marvel stuff), then yeah, I'd avoid it.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I'm on my way right now to comixology to get classics vol. 3 and on for that price! Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    No just the current IDW stuff is what I'm behind on because I am collecting it in trade only. I actually went back and completed everything in trade form with just small minis/one shots/or oddballs in single issues. I've read/owned most of it (marvel/ddp/IDW) as it has come out.

I mentioned GI Joe in the under-rated thread simply because even though people know and even love GI Joe the comics rarely get the notice they deserve as just plain great comics. There are some seriously amazing little runs and stories tucked into the massive catalog. I will say that you can pick up the physical trades/copies used or online for the same price or even cheaper if you look.