Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What happened to the official DC comics podcast?

I bought a new computer a while ago and when I was resubscribing to all my podcast feeds I forgot to do DC comics. Every year the post audio from all their panels at comic con. I looked in Itunes but I can find no official podcast from them anymore. I can't find anything with Google or at the dc.com site. Does anyone know whats going on here?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I think it's pretty much dead. I was subscribed through itunes and I can't remember the last time it updated.
  • Options
    they only do the SDCC ones, so it is updated once a year... very frustrating.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Those convention panel podcasts were so terrible. Bad sound quality and you couldn't even hear the questions the audience asked, just the replies. Very helpful when the answer is just 'Yes' or 'No'.
  • Options
    Nice to see they are reaching out to the community
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I don't blame them.

Given how few people actually read comics (or read anything) there is actually a disproportionately huge amount of podcasts dedicated to comics. We are nothing if not an expressive, proselytizing, media making fan base.

So when you can have you arm podcasters (and bloggers, and news sites) with your press releases, and when your talent makes themselves available to do interviews at all sorts of audiences, for podcasts that have a vested interest in gathering and maintaining an audience, then why have your own employees spend time remaking the wheel? It could be that they saw that the Official DC Podcast was not charting nearly as well as the fan-made podcasts, and figured, screw it! Let them do it and talk about our products for us. The fans are better at it anyway.
  • Options
    This week in Marvel is really well done although sometimes I know more than they do about Marvel history.
  • Options
    The only reason I really wanted the dc one is for the annual sdcc Fables panel. It is always fun to listen to. The vertigo panel is just ok. Maybe Someone will put it on YouTube.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I don't blame them.

Given how few people actually read comics (or read anything) there is actually a disproportionately huge amount of podcasts dedicated to comics. We are nothing if not an expressive, proselytizing, media making fan base.

So when you can have you arm podcasters (and bloggers, and news sites) with your press releases, and when your talent makes themselves available to do interviews at all sorts of audiences, for podcasts that have a vested interest in gathering and maintaining an audience, then why have your own employees spend time remaking the wheel? It could be that they saw that the Official DC Podcast was not charting nearly as well as the fan-made podcasts, and figured, screw it! Let them do it and talk about our products for us. The fans are better at it anyway.
    That said, it would be nice to hear the actual panels, rather than read accounts of them.
  • Options
    @WetRats I agree. And I agree that audio of the panels was the one thing the DC Official Podcast was providing, but I thought they were still doing those? If not, they should turn that over to the unofficial podcasters as well (and likely the non-officials would do a better job of gathering the audio)
    You're right. I'd forgotten they still posted those.

I remember now that listening to them last year made me give the New52 a second look.

• Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    this is the url i have for the podcast feed - http://www.dccomics.com/feeds/podcast/itunes/
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Does geekdom really ask for "official" podcasts providing only verified infos? No more rumors?

<:-P
  • Options
    Does geekdom really ask for "official" podcasts providing only verified infos? No more rumors?

<:-P </p>
    It's nice to have the occasional fact to spice up all the wild-ass speculation.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

<:-P </p>
    I like official podcasts for the simple fact that they can talk to the people involved in projects. The Lost podcast was by the two main writers, and the Marvel podcast has a LOT of interviews with editors and creators. It's good to hear fans talk about things, but if I can get interviews with creators, I'm there!

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    this is the url i have for the podcast feed - http://www.dccomics.com/feeds/podcast/itunes/
    Sorry, didn't mean to reject your answer...hard to click correctly on a phone with big fingers.

That URL gets you the DC 404 page.

• Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    They redesigned their website several months ago, and completely replaced the old file structure. The podcast was part of the old site. We may well see them add this back in on a new page, I guess we'll know in the next week or so.