Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel- Dead character rumored to be returning. More at SDCC (Potential Spoilers)

GregGreg Posts: 1,946
As @busty pointed out in the War thread, my favorite redheaded mutant is set to make her return.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/07/02/jean-grey-marvel-comic-con/

An official announcement to come at SDCC.

Comments

• Options
    VashVash Posts: 12
    I have no problems with bringing characters back into the mix. However, I am now more worried than ever about how AvX will turn out if they are going to resort to bringing back Jean. It seems either lazy or just plain tired to have to bring back Jean to presumably deal with the Phoenix force.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    ok. that spider-man panel is going to be PACKED. but i might just check it out. this could be something that pulls me back into the x-universe
  • Options
    UrbalcloudUrbalcloud Posts: 42
    Jean's coming back.... Angel's been reduced to a regular(ish) student again... Scott is becoming a little too extreme to be an effective leader...

Wow, what a perfect time to have Professor X return and lead a slimmed-down team of X-Men. Say.... Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, Beast, & Iceman? And just in time for the reboot-sorry-I-mean-relaunch...

I have no real intel, just speculation...
  • Options
    I agree @Trev. If anyone in in the Marvel U is going to be making continuous rises from the dead, Jean should be the leader in that. I still want a smart, well written story for it though. Jean not being around is why I stopped reading X-Men years ago, that could change if she's coming back.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I really liked Jean back in the day when she was just Marvel Girl and she and Scott were a just a couple. To this day one of my favorite moments was with Jean and Scott on that butte in New Mexico from X-Men #132. After Marvel brought Jean back for the first time we find out that it was not Jean all that time but the Phoenix force. That really soured me on her return but I excepted it.

Now they are gonna bring her back for a second time?

This has really got me worried, I do not know what Marvel is gonna do with her, especially since Scott is hooked up with Emma. The last thing I want to see is Jean sucking face with Wolverine. Jean needs to be with Scott not Logan. With her return how much are they tinker with to make her return work in the Marvel U.

All in all if Marvel does bring back Jean I will pick up X-men and give the book a chance. Hopefully they will make it work without stepping on too many toes and I will start reading X-Men again and that is saying a lot for someone who dropped the title about a year after her return in X-Factor and only picked up a hand full of issues since.

Here's hoping that Marvel does it right and Scott dumps Emma and gets back with Jean.... hey I can always hope.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Not to mention being responsible for Phoenclops' ridiculous red thong.
  • Options
    @Webhead:

My ideal scenario: Jean shows up, reveals that Emma has been slowly, methodically warping Scott's mind the whole time they've been together, and reveals the White Queen as really being a villain all along, subverting the X-Men toward Mutant Supremacy and away from Xavier's ideals.
    ok, this is capital A AWESOME.

when I first got back into comics, Emma was running the school and being a byrne/claremont/smith era x-men fan I just could not stomach it.

but eventually I got on-board with Emma as an interesting character.

This would be the best x-men story of the last 6 or 7 years if it happened. Assuming the right writer . . .

which of course means that's not what it will be at all. :(
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78

This is lazy. Death in comics means nothing anymore.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    @Webhead:

My ideal scenario: Jean shows up, reveals that Emma has been slowly, methodically warping Scott's mind the whole time they've been together, and reveals the White Queen as really being a villain all along, subverting the X-Men toward Mutant Supremacy and away from Xavier's ideals.
    .... can you write next X-Men storyline? [-O<
  • Options
    @Webhead:

Maybe she's just been doing sub-consciously. When they realise they have to split up.

Was there really any doubt that this event wasn't going to return Jean in some way/shape or form? It's the Phoenix force, it seems to always be about Jean in some way.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    "What happens to us in the future? Do we become assholes or something?"

Actually, yes.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

This is lazy. Death in comics means nothing anymore.
    I think you meant has never meant anything

Angel's been reduced to a regular(ish) student again
    Could someone explain that one to me? I don't know what I missed but he's not the same guy anymore? I haven't been up on many x-titles before AvX so I don't know when this happened

• Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    "What happens to us in the future? Do we become assholes or something?"

Actually, yes.
    This is such a Marvel thing to do, I feel like I should've seen it coming. I guess it'll kind of depend how they handle it...
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2012
    AVENGERS: The updated series promises a diverse sprawling cast that goes far beyond the movie lineup. “It’s not six Avengers it’s 18 or more” says writer Jonathan Hickman. AVENGERS will be bi-weekly and will feature a combination of one-off stories and longer, galaxy-spanning multi-issue arcs. DEC 2012
    ALL NEW X-MEN: Brian Bendis takes on the most eccenctric and controversy-baiting Marvel NOW! book. The pitch: The original five teenage X-Men time-travel to the present day. “Here’s the big question that the original X-Men are gonna be faced with: ‘We’re gonna grow up and this is what we’re going to to get? That is not acceptable.” NOV. 2012
    UNCANNY AVENGERS: Writer Rick Remender mixes Avengers characters like Captain America and Thor together with such X-Men as Rogue and Havok in the flagship title of Marvel NOW! “It’s a bridge book” says Remender “something that can delve into both worlds.” OCT 2012.

Nick Fury's secret black son is in the super spy uniform that Steve wore.

Iron Man looks like his armor is black and gold.

Rocket Raccoon is in his original green jacket uniform.

A younger Cable? Looks like no techno virus.

Thor's cape looks black.

Hulk has armor?

Captain America looks more like his Ultimate version.

Oh, and Jean Grey from the original X-Men
  • Options
    [Insert snarky comment about Cyclops' x-shaped visor here]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I would love to read a Hickman written Avengers title, but not if its $3.99 and bi-weekly. If we get the unlikely $2.99 price on this I might get it.

I do like the idea of a team comprised of both Avengers and X-Men.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    This sounds like a fun shake-up to me. I'm game. I hope Christos Gage has at least one title still in the mix (hopefully Avengers Academy still, or something like it) as he has been doing excellent work.
  • Options
    UrbalcloudUrbalcloud Posts: 42
    @Krescan

Angel's change had something to with what happened during the Dark Angel Saga over in Uncanny X-Force. (Someone chime in if I'm missing something here.) I haven't read it myself, but hearing lots of good stuff.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    Wow if its 3.99 at bi weekly they are really trying to find out who the zombies are.
  • Options
    Replace zombies with suckers.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    AVENGERS: The updated series promises a diverse sprawling cast that goes far beyond the movie lineup. “It’s not six Avengers it’s 18 or more” says writer Jonathan Hickman. AVENGERS will be bi-weekly and will feature a combination of one-off stories and longer, galaxy-spanning multi-issue arcs. DEC 2012
    ALL NEW X-MEN: Brian Bendis takes on the most eccenctric and controversy-baiting Marvel NOW! book. The pitch: The original five teenage X-Men time-travel to the present day. “Here’s the big question that the original X-Men are gonna be faced with: ‘We’re gonna grow up and this is what we’re going to to get? That is not acceptable.” NOV. 2012
    UNCANNY AVENGERS: Writer Rick Remender mixes Avengers characters like Captain America and Thor together with such X-Men as Rogue and Havok in the flagship title of Marvel NOW! “It’s a bridge book” says Remender “something that can delve into both worlds.” OCT 2012.
    source?

• Options
    source?
    Entertainment Weekly, I believe.
  • Options
    source?
    not from what I can see on EW, but the other thread has a link to iFanboy. This info is there.
  • Options
    source?
    not from what I can see on EW, but the other thread has a link to iFanboy. This info is there.
    The Bleeding Cool article attributes the EW Comic-Con Issue.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    You know what's boring and predictable? THIS.

You want to feel better then people who buy books you are not interested in, and try to bait them on threads like this? Well, congratulations. We heard you the first half-dozen times. Why don't you take the conversation a notch above Newsarama or spend the time on discussing what you do want to read? What is there to get out of insulting groups of fans, or dismissing people who like something you don't as suckers? How does that move a conversation forward?

Because continuing, post after post, to turn your nose up at the people who read what you don't like is not just snobbery, it is Internet comic fan self-parody. And it's boring. It reduces value from a discussion rather than adding to it. It's noise. And I would guess you can do better than that.
    Hey if you want to spend money on substandard stories that are produced without an ounce of originality go ahead.
    I would love Marvel to be knocking it out off the park.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    You know what's boring and predictable? THIS.

You want to feel better then people who buy books you are not interested in, and try to bait them on threads like this? Well, congratulations. We heard you the first half-dozen times. Why don't you take the conversation a notch above Newsarama or spend the time on discussing what you do want to read? What is there to get out of insulting groups of fans, or dismissing people who like something you don't as suckers? How does that move a conversation forward?

Because continuing, post after post, to turn your nose up at the people who read what you don't like is not just snobbery, it is Internet comic fan self-parody. And it's boring. It reduces value from a discussion rather than adding to it. It's noise. And I would guess you can do better than that.
    Hey if you want to spend money on substandard stories that are produced without an ounce of originality go ahead.
    I would love Marvel to be knocking it out off the park.
    Right.

Because In the Internet, You Can Already Know How the Comics Three to Six Months From Now Are.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2012

source?
    Bleedingcool.com/EW's ComicCon Edition(which is where the pic is from)
  • Options

source?
    Bleedingcool.com/EW's ComicCon Edition(which is where the pic is from)
    Ah. I haven't gotten my EW yet.