Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Amazing Spider-man Movie Discussion (Spoilers when the movie opens July 3)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thought it was a good comic book movie, but not a great one.

I'll give it 3.5 out of 5.0 frekking sweers.

For comparison:
    SM 4.0 out of 5.0
    SM2 5.0 out go 5.0
    SM3 3.0 out of 5.0
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Thought it was a good comic book movie, but not a great one.

I'll give it 3.5 out of 5.0 frekking sweers.

For comparison:
    SM 4.0 out of 5.0
    SM2 5.0 out go 5.0
    SM3 3.0 out of 5.0
    @Whistling_Pete I'm in complete agreement with every single one of your ratings! (perhaps I'd give SM 3 a 2.5 and this one a 3).

e
    L nny

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I have to say this is an interesting mix of reviews. I do have one question though; does this have a Twilight feel to it? I only ask because the Spidey scenes look semi-interesting in previews, but the PP/GS looks like its a variation of Twilight. Adding the Lizard in the 1st movie in a reboot just seems to solidify the Twilight feel & audience target.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I have to say this is an interesting mix of reviews. I do have one question though; does this have a Twilight feel to it? I only ask because the Spidey scenes look semi-interesting in previews, but the PP/GS looks like its a variation of Twilight. Adding the Lizard in the 1st movie in a reboot just seems to solidify the Twilight feel & audience target.

M
    This probably doesn't help, but I would say that Garfield's look and demeanor, some of the color drained scenes (e.g. the Guns N' Roses looking rainy funeral) feels like what I THINK Twilight is. But I can only base that on what I've heard about the tone and look of the Twilight movies. But I've never seen them or read the books, so that is only an impression.

• Options
    coutstevocoutstevo Posts: 7
    edited July 2012
    I just got back from the theater and overall I enjoyed the movie. I would give it a 4 out of 5 however there are a few things that bothered me. Going along with what other people said and whats been stated in several of the reviews Garfield's Peter Parker is way too cool at the start of the movie. I don't really understand him and the skate boarding? I guess it's suppose to show that he's a skate boarding loner but generally when I think of skate boarding I associate it with cool people.

I did really enjoy all of the action scenes and the overall look of Spider-man. He seemed much more acrobatic and agile in this film then in the previous trilogy. His movements were quick and fluid and seemed to go along with the action in the comics. The web slinging sequences looked awesome and I liked the fact that there were several instances where it was from 1st person view. I also enjoyed the quips.

One other thing that bugged me about the story, and there are several other things but most of them have been covered already, is towards the end of the movie where Spider-man has finished the big battle and Curt Conners has to pull him up from the building. I didn't understand this at all! Earlier in the movie he takes his hand to a piece of glass and removes a windshield but now he needs Conner's help not to fall? He can't just stick to the glass? It didn't seem to take much effort at any other point during the movie.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

M
    This probably doesn't help, but I would say that Garfield's look and demeanor, some of the color drained scenes (e.g. the Guns N' Roses looking rainy funeral) feels like what I THINK Twilight is. But I can only base that on what I've heard about the tone and look of the Twilight movies. But I've never seen them or read the books, so that is only an impression.

Actually, I've never gotten into the books or movies, they felt like a new generation's (poor man's) Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm basing the comparison on the previews I have seen of both movies vs. watching both movies and comparing.

I felt the same way when I watched Red Riding Hood. The two guys RRH is torn between both look like Twilight extras. For some reason both those guys needed mostly open shirts in the winter months!

Thanks for the input.

M.

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

M
    I personally didn't get that vibe, but bear in mind that my exposure to Twilight is limited to movie trailers and about 20 seconds of a Twilight movie when Mike was showing me the BigD theater. Of course seeing the Lizard didn't give me that feeling either, so it's possible you and I have different opinions on what constitutes a "Twilight feel" (and since it looks like we both have the same amount of exposure to Twilight, that's very possible). Peter Parker's shirt was on the whole movie though as far as I can remember if that helps. Unfortunately, so was Gwen's.

Oh wait... there was that scene where Peter was injured and having his wounds tended to. That might have been shirtless, but in context, it made perfect sense, so it didn't stand out like it would if it was being done to show off or fit in a certain demographic.

• Options

M

Actually, I've never gotten into the books or movies, they felt like a new generation's (poor man's) Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm basing the comparison on the previews I have seen of both movies vs. watching both movies and comparing.

I felt the same way when I watched Red Riding Hood. The two guys RRH is torn between both look like Twilight extras. For some reason both those guys needed mostly open shirts in the winter months!

Thanks for the input.

M.

I based my impression on the same thing- images and promos for Twilight (which definitely did not seem for me). And I would agree that, while I don't think the whole thing is in the tone of what Twilight seems to be, that they are definitely trying to get that audience in.

I also think the Twilight feel, for me, is about the fact that the courtship in the movie- despite the premise- is pretty grounded. Unlike the upside-down kiss and many rescues of the Raimi films, it feels like this movie would really stop and play the romantic scenes as foreground. Sure, Peter might climb through her window when the scene starts, but the rest of the scene would play like it could be out of any other angsty romance. I do feel like the movie would stop and spend more time on the romance, as opposed to the Raimi films that would play the romance while still at breakneck speed.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284

M
    Others have said the same thing, but I actually have seen the Twilight movies, and I don't really think they are very similar in any way with the exception of Peter's hair (which does look a lot like Robert Patinson's hair which I'm sure is by design). Most of the Twilight movies are about Bella trying to figure out which man to be with, and chasing after him, then him chasing her, then her chasing him. I thought Spider-man was a solid story with a nice undercurrent of a love story. The movie was about Peter becoming Spider-man, stopping the bad guy, being with a girl, and also finding out about his parents. I thought all of the threads of the story were given pretty equal amounts of attention, not just a love story with a little bit of other stuff to fill out the movie.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Just realized The Lizard is played by Danny Deckchair.

Slightly more interested now.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    does this have a Twilight feel to it?
    I only watched the first Twilight movie (that was enough), but (to me) it felt like Amazing Spider-man actually had more of a Harry Potter feel. The "movie" Lizard looked like he was based on Voldemort.

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited July 2012
    FYI!!! - My family is going and I got Spidey 1 and 2 blu-rays at Best Buy for $14.99/each and I got $10/each of Soney movie money. So that's a net cost of $5/piece for the blu-rays if you are going to an evening show.

Or you can get concession cash of $5.

Check for your theater.

http://emoviecash.com/locator/
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    FYI: I got a call from a journalist from the Christian Science Monitor to comment on the film. I'll post the full article here if it gets published.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Why can't we just appreciate the movie for what it is? Why must we compare the different versions? It was a freaking awesome movie. Nitpicking just ruins it
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Well the family went tonight and the verdicts were

The Boy (8) - Thought it was awesome. No suprise.
    The Girl (11) - Spider-man < AMS < Hunger Games Nobody beats that movie for her.
    The Wife - She told me that throughout the whole movie kept thinking "Oh John is going to hate that. That's going to piss him off. He'll hate that too!" So I made sure my negativity didn't cause her bias but she didn't like it and plans to watch Spidey 2 with my daughter as a palate cleanser. She told me to not bother going. She liked Leary and Stone and had no issues with Garfield.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Why can't we just appreciate the movie for what it is? Why must we compare the different versions? It was a freaking awesome movie. Nitpicking just ruins it
    Because in less then a decade's time the same studios decided they needed to do the origin of Spider-Man twice. They idea that they decided to restart this soon rather than recast and continue the series they started invites comparison. The comparisons are hard to avoid.

Call them nitpicks if you want, but when someone buys the ticket, they are entitled to be honest about they did and didn't enjoy. You thought it was freaking awesome? Well, that's good. Your money was well-spent. I believe you and don't need you to feel otherwise. If others felt differently, so be it. They are not choosing to feel they way. Heck, I wish I loved it the way you did. Then my money and especially time would have felt better-spent, too.

But why seek consensus? Enjoy what you enjoy for you, but know that- as with everything- not everyone will feel the same.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited July 2012
    Enjoyed the movie, more than the Raimi movies with maybe the exception of the second movie.

Garfield did a good job as both Peter and Spidey. I didn't think it was possible to be in love with Emma Stone any more than I already was. I really would have liked to have seen Captain Stacy around for a second movie. The Lizard did give this movie a very "Potter" feel to it, not only with his look but with some of the dialogue.

It had its share of cheese moments that I didn't care for. Most notable being the helicopter light shining on Spider-Man as he gets ready to run off the building to swing off the cranes.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    FYI: I got a call from a journalist from the Christian Science Monitor to comment on the film. I'll post the full article here if it gets published.
    Here you go....
    http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/2012/0706/Why-Spider-Man-is-pulling-in-moviegoers.-Again

• Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited July 2012
    I just saw the movie this morning, and this movie reminds me of how I felt about Batman Begins. The retelling of the origin is better than the original movie, more truer to the comic, but you are doing an origin story so there are moments where the movie could do with more punch. By punch I mean more time as Spider-man in full costume taking down small time crime. I felt the leap to fighting the Lizard was a big tonal difference in scale. Batman Begins had the same problem with the leap to fighting Ra's al Ghul.

I think if they had built to the slow progress of gaining experience fighting thugs, and intermixing the Stacy family story arc would have made for a more balanced experience. I did not like the fact he kept revealing his identity during that sequence as well. I am not sure why Hollywood does not adopt the same half mask/half normal face drawing moment comic artist discovered 30 years ago. Just do a screen effect to say to audience we are seeing his face, but everyone in the movie sees only his mask. It would solve so many or the problems where he is running around without a mask.

I sound negative, but I must say I enjoyed this filmed. The swinging and the fight sequence are better than most of the first thee movies. I can only think of the first fight between Spider-man and Harry Osborn as the Goblin in three that rival the sequences in this movie. I liked that they didn't gloss over Pete being in high school for the entire movie. The only big problem with this movie is time. As in the time between this movie and the previous three is so short that it is hard to see how much this movie does right. Of course a lot of those problem could have gone away if this was a "Marvel" movie. You wouldn't even need a lot to add more to the experience. Like a Cap poster in Peter's room. Or a small mention of Stark being a competitor to Oscorp. Or a news story about Mr. Fantastic that Pete is watching.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Saw it this morning -

1) Emma Stone is now on the list of women, along with Kate Beckinsale and Mila Jovovich, who are allowed to touch me - but she has to wear her Gwen Stacy gear.
    2) Garfield was great as a more "for the times" Peter Parker and I really think over time I'm going to prefer him to Maguire.
    3) I thought that was Electro at the end - lightning storm outside, he came in and disappeared with it. He's probably working as a good for Osborn, and he'll be the baddie in flick #2. Save Green Goblin for the 3rd flick.
    4) No Jonah, which gave me a sad until I realized he couldn't be in it yet because Parker hasn't started working for the Bugle yet (if he ever does in this version).
    5) Denis Leary did great as Capt. Stacy. Gotta go reread my "Death of the Stacy's" book now to see if it was Lizard or Jackal who killed him in the books.
    6) Sally Field/Martin Sheen. 'Nuff Said There.

4.5 out of 5 Freckin' Sweers. 5 out of 5 for the Dark Knight Rises trailer. Bring it...oh, bring it!
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    edited July 2012
    Because in less then a decade's time the same studios decided they needed to do the origin of Spider-Man twice. They idea that they decided to restart this soon rather than recast and continue the series they started invites comparison. The comparisons are hard to avoid.

Call them nitpicks if you want, but when someone buys the ticket, they are entitled to be honest about they did and didn't enjoy. You thought it was freaking awesome? Well, that's good. Your money was well-spent. I believe you and don't need you to feel otherwise. If others felt differently, so be it. They are not choosing to feel they way. Heck, I wish I loved it the way you did. Then my money and especially time would have felt better-spent, too.

But why seek consensus? Enjoy what you enjoy for you, but know that- as with everything- not everyone will feel the same.
    I get that and complaints are well within your 1st Amendment rights. I very much love to complain. It just seems to me that on here and from other sources, many being my friends who haven't even seen the movie are going out of their way to dislike it. I just think if people did not try so hard to compare the movies, they would enjoy this continuity much more then they do. Having an openmind is very important when watching this movie. I went in expecting nothing and got a most wonderful surprise. It was an awesome movie, just like the first 2 were awesome. I love it, I wish others could see what I see in the movie
  • Options
    Maybe the long haired guy in the Easter Egg is Michael Morbius? Another person who would be interested in the research, a villain not previously used, AND would mesh well with a generation who is interested in Twilight, Vampire Diaries, and True Blood.

M
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    Maybe the long haired guy in the Easter Egg is Michael Morbius? Another person who would be interested in the research, a villain not previously used, AND would mesh well with a generation who is interested in Twilight, Vampire Diaries, and True Blood.

M
    You mean like a generation that was interested in Interview With A Vampire, Buffy, and Angel?

• Options
    edited July 2012

M
    You mean like a generation that was interested in Interview With A Vampire, Buffy, and Angel?

Yeah that generation as well; aren't those really what Twilight, Vampire Diaries, and True Blood are? Though I have to admit I have never seen Interview with A Vampire.

M
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    People have obviously expounded at length on this, and I just finally saw this the other day, so I'll keep it brief: loved it. I missed JJJ and the Bugle staff, I wondered where all those cranes came from, I thought it was weird that Pete would bring such a clearly-labeled clue to his identity to "work" with him, and it did kinda bother me that he never found the burglar... but as mid-summer popcorn fare goes, this hit the spot. Liked the leads and the chemistry between them, the supporting performances were all good, and I really, really enjoyed that Spider-Man swung around like he had actual weight and that the physics involved looked a bit more true... all things I have never been able to say about the Raimi films, which have not held up well for me at all (2 in particular).

Was this made as a cash-grab/copyright re-upping? Sure. Did it need to be made? No, probably not, but what movie does? Was it enjoyable on its own merits? For my money, yeah, it was. In fact, I'm tempted to go see this again rather than go to Dark Knight Rises.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    I had a long reply permanently stuck in draft because of some snafu...so here I go again with another.

Anyway... S2 > S1>ASM>S3.
    I liked this cast better than the raimi ones, especially Peter. Something about Tobey never really did it for me in the original trilogy. Maybe he wasn't as much a science geek, or maybe I didn't get as much of the snappy banter I love in spidey, or maybe he just didn't look the part. Emma Stone was also great, but I liked how Bryce Dallas Howard LOOKED as Gwen just a teeny, tiny bit more. ;)

Costume didn't bother me much. The mask made him more insect-like, to me, which worked better than I though it would! Prefer the web shooters versus organic ones. I liked how he moved whether on the ground or as he was swinging. Little touches such as tugging on the web before swinging in a different direction were a nice touch...

What else? Um, yeah, they didn't need to reboot, if the sole reason was to keep the movie rights. Why not just move it forward or give an abbreviated origin, a la incredible hulk. Yeah, dragging in some parts, but tolerable because of the performances.

Lizard? Didn't like the look... Would have preferred the classic, overgrown Lizard look.

Hated the cranes! Didn't like the fact that he was outed one too many times again! Spider-man 2 anyone? And that scene where he practically broke his promise to capt. Stacy? Man, that's gonna haunt him WHEN Gwen dies. That'll make you grow up, teenager!

Anyhoo.. That's off the top of my head. I'm sure I have more comments, but, later! Off to see Dark Knight Rises.
  • Options
    little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    I really enjoyed this film, not reading a lot of spider-man. In ways it reminded me a lot of the 90s cartoons. However I went to see it in 3D which for me really didn't work for me, the swinging scenes seemed a bit out of focus.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Greg said:
    Those "groaners" were some of my favorite moments. The scene where Peter saves the kid on the bridge captures the very essence of why superheroes are popular. And it was nice to see C. Thomas Howell again.

I felt that overall this was superior to the McGuire films in most respects. Whatever happened to Tobey? Is he still working? I can't recall the last film he was in

Since Spider-Man 3, Tobey has been in four movies (two still in post-production) and a short film: Brothers, Life of Pi, Great Gatsby, The Deatails and Beyond All Boundries. He has been a producer on three films: Rock of Ages, Seeking Justice and Country Strong.

I heard that Toby has been trying to get a live action Robotech film started for a few years now.