Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1245 Talkback: A Conversation with Christos Gage

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited July 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Christos Gage is currently writing 'Avengers Academy' and 'X-Men Legacy' for Marvel and 'Angel & Faith' for Dark Horse. He's also got an original graphic novel coming out from Top Cow/Minotaur Press this month called 'Sunset'. We chat with him about all of this as well as his upcoming work with Neal Adams on 'First X-men'. (1:12:11)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    good episode, everybody needs to be more up on Mr. Gage, I don't think i've been disappointed with anything he's been turning out

Area 10 is a vertigo GN that he did a while back and it's a fun mystery type, and Avengers Academy is one of the best Marvel has to offer right now.

And he dogged x-cutioner's song in the process which makes him ok in my book ;;)
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Yes, anyone who ever liked "young hero" series like old school New Mutants, or Generation X, or Runaways, or Young Avengers, should definitely check out Avengers Academy. The first 12 issues (collections vols. 1-2) were ESPECIALLY great. Since then the crossovers and expanded roster have left a little to desire, but whenever I pick an issue up I'm usually pleased. Those first 12 issues, though, were the way young teen hero comics should be.
  • Options
    NKQNKQ Posts: 24
    I think this was one of the best interview episodes with a writer. The questions the geeks asked gave me insight into how the process works. The description of how Marvel plans their crossovers was especially interesting. The only thing that would have make it better was if Mike was on board. He's spoken about how writing for comic books is different from say a screenplay, but I don't understand the differences, specifically. Also, I would have liked to know how he got into screenwriting. Nevertheless, excellent episode that I'll listen to many more times. Pants and Jamie have great interviewing skills and I like that you two did your homework before the interview.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks for doing this interview, guys! I really like Christos Gage's writing. Unfortunately, with Marvel constantly double-shipping Avengers Academy, I decided to drop it. Maybe I'll pick it up in trade. However, I HAVE preordered the First X-men book, so I'll still be getting my monthly Gage fix plus a chance to see some more Neal Adams artwork. I'm also intrigued by Sunset...I wonder if I have that first issues book Pants read...and I'm really curious about the "new" DC work with Darick Robertson.
  • Options
    Most underrated writer in comics! So excited to hear from this guy!

Another great indie book from him is Absolution, from Avatar Press.

I think Avengers Academy has consistently been the best Avengers branded comic since the Heroic Age relaunches. So stoked he took over X-Men Legacy, and it is great so far.
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    This was a great interview guys. Really appreciated it. I only have one question (and am not trying to cast aspersions on anyone involved, as I assume the "first original graphic novel from Top Cow" line is part of the marketing for Sunset). I know this is more akin to Stardust from Neil Gaiman & Charles Vess, which is heavy on text, but wasn't Delicate Creatures the first OGN from Top Cow?

chris
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    i had been a little underwhelmed by Mr. Gage's work on Angel & Faith. Not disappointed but just wasn't loving the story but the last month's issue really stepped it up and I think he's finding his footing on the story now.