Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Chin flaps on masks/hoods?

A more light-hearted topic, but one that continually draws my attention and thought when reading comics is how do chin flaps on hoods/masks stay tight to the chin instead of just flopping down? A wetsuit type hood has to come up around the face to keep the chin secure but most hoods/masks are cut way out yet still have a large protruding bit under the chin... do they use spirit gum to keep it stuck in place? Surely it would droop down otherwise.

Side question masks like Robin is shown with (among others) that are just tiny "masks" around their eyes... how are those attached?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Comments

• Options
    I always loved how Alan Davis drew Captain Britain's mask as a rigid faceplate with the chin doohickey thing attached.

If you look closely, at the Tim Burton Michael Keaton batman masks, they have plasticy stuff coming all the way up to, but not covering his chin, in an effort to give him some semblance of a chin. Always thought that was funny.

As far as Robin's mask, that baby is glued on... I always liked the version that wrapped all the way around, and tied in the back... like Earth 2 Robin (you know, the real one from the real Earth 2, in the 70's).
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Robin's mask stays on because Batman told it to.

(That's all I've got)

I think things like the chin strap thing and the domino masks, and I think this is well-observed, are instances where costume conventions have defied physics and physiology for so long that many of us have stopped noticing that it could never have worked in the first place. And I think a lot of people, from cosplayers to professional costume designers for film and TV have likely found out just how gravity and flesh defying a lot of these traditional costumes are.

The mask thing reminds me- a detail I really liked from Kick-Ass was that Big Daddy would apply eye black to his face before putting the mask on. I loved that detail (heck, all the Big Daddy/ Hit Girl scenes were by far the best parts of that movie) because it felt like a strange, scary looking thing he was doing to emulate what HE had seen in comic books. And the whole thing played out in a harshly-lit bathroom, making the whole scene feel like something out of Taxi Driver.

On the chin strap thing, I can remember doing a modern dress version of The Iliad that was costumed in WW2 surplus, and I think I had a helmet with a chin strap, but the straps connected to a kind of small cup that your chin fit into. And that stayed snug, but only because there was a sort of (sorry, this is the only image that fits) jock strap for your chin. But I can't imagine a simple strap, as we often see drawn, ever working. It would either have to dangle, or be so tight you wouldn't be able to open your mouth and scream "NOOOOOOO" when a teammate was going to be dead for awhile.

In that same production some of the helmets had simple straps, but they would buckle under the chin.

But, yes. Many of the costume pieces we are so used to accepting are actually part of the make-believe.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I'm pretty sure that Robin has been shown to indeed use spirit gum to keep the domino mask on.

As a sometimes-costumer, the extra bits and pieces of masks is a big pain in the butt. In a drawing, masks can have useless-but-supposedly-cool-looking points around the mouth or over the chin, or on the cheeks... but in reality, the mechanics of such a fashion decision are only slightly less complicated than nuclear fission.

Okay, that may be overstating, but it seems like that.

Same goes with costumes that have shaped openings on the front. Take Dagger, from Marvel's Cloak and Dagger. That dagger-ish shape cut into the front of that costume? Yeah, just try to cut that out and expect it to look like that. I had a friend that spent almost three weeks working out the various invisible strap/underwire support to get it to look remotely like it does in the comics.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    It is a funny thing for sure and when I'm actually drawing figures or concept sketches I'm way more cognizant of it because it does always stand out to me. Not so much chin straps (but I agree having been a goalie most of my life that no chin strap could be that tight all the time) but the flap under the chin that juts out kinda like Batman, that bit under his chin would never stay snug unless the sides came up right around his mouth like a wetsuit hood. It would just droop down.

The cosplay aspect is definitely a time when it enters the real world and even in some films they cheat. My mother is a seamstress and occasionally she'll do a costume for someone and these kinds of things always crop up.

I was speaking a while ago to a friend that is a pretty well known concept artist and he mentioned that he always takes reality into creature and costume design. I find it funny and it always catches my eye when something is just really improbable.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    It's always seemed to be a neoprene-like substance that would be snug but moves to me. I say like because it would have to be lighter and breathable or all our heroes would die of heat exhaustion after a few minutes.

Anything else could be tightened up chin strap wise but would be pretty difficult to talk with.
  • Options
    By the way, I would imagine fetishist forums have a thread just like this one, too.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Captain Canuck demonstrates at http://bit.ly/NHS2BJ

• Options
    @David_D I think we qualify actually ;)

In the films they actually do go for the less open face so that it does stay, which I find an odd choice because you'd think they would want more face showing and just stick the chin flap on to hold it in place:

But this would never work:

• Options
    Captain Canuck demonstrates at http://bit.ly/NHS2BJ

NOT my favorite Captain Canuck costume...
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358

NOT my favorite Captain Canuck costume...
    This one?

• Options
    By the way, I would imagine fetishist forums have a thread just like this one, too.
    Welp, now it is official! :D I guess I might as well ask about how to stop the zipper on my gimp suit from chaffing.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    Welp, now it is official! :D I guess I might as well ask about how to stop the zipper on my gimp suit from chaffing.
    Perhaps my favourite post of the week.

Also my favourite thread, after all, I don't see Captain Canuck mentioned everyday, and his creator lives around these parts.
  • Options
    so i was going to sleep last night and was getting my sleep apnea stuff ready and realized as i was putting on the chin strap that i know exactly how it stays on. you'd probably want to cut away some of it to be more open in the face but i think it would work without sagging
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited July 2012
    I don't see Captain Canuck mentioned everyday, and his creator lives around these parts.
    I found a Captain Canuck comic at a newsstand in Forest City, NC of all places, sometime in the late 70's. The color in that book was the prettiest I'd ever seen at that point.
  • Options
    I don't see Captain Canuck mentioned everyday, and his creator lives around these parts.
    I found a Captain Canuck comic at a newsstand in Forest City, NC of all places, sometime in the late 70's. The color in that book was the prettiest I'd ever seen at that point.
    Me too! Wilson, North Carolina, in about '79. Issue 10 (Still have it).. Also bought the next few issues at the same Kerr Drugs, in the subsequent months...

Just got the Captain Canuck hardcover collections and MAN do they take me back and give me the warm fuzzies.
  • Options
    @David_D I think we qualify actually ;)

In the films they actually do go for the less open face so that it does stay, which I find an odd choice because you'd think they would want more face showing and just stick the chin flap on to hold it in place:

But this would never work:

I don't know... here's the mask from the Batman Dead End fan movie (one of the coolest Batman costumes, I think).

• Options
    @Tonebone, That mask is rigid though. There is no real way t get the chin bit to stay up without sticking it on or else having it come up higher on the chin or closer around the mouth.
  • Options
    so i was going to sleep last night and was getting my sleep apnea stuff ready
    Kinky.
  • Options
    so i was going to sleep last night and was getting my sleep apnea stuff ready
    Kinky.
    they said the same thing on the fetishist forum when we were discussing this exact topic :)

• Options
    Spirit-gum...duh?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Spirit-gum...duh?
    Do they call it that because The Spirit used it first?

;)
  • Options
    Spirit-gum...duh?
    Do they call it that because The Spirit used it first?

;)
    Ha ha... never thought of that...
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Is spirit gum also what they use to get the cloth of the costume to perfectly conform with the shapes of the muscles and the ripples in the abs?
  • Options
    No, that is airbrushing.
  • Options
    When I was a little kid I thought the superheroes' costumes were their skin. Had a big discussion with my grandmother about it because of a 20¢ cover price Iron Man comic (featuring Whiplash) where his tights were torn. She tried to tell me the deal, but I countered with the unassailable fact that when Batman & Robin slid down the batpoles, Batman's skin was grey and Robin's stayed normal.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    but I countered with the unassailable fact that when Batman & Robin slid down the batpoles, Batman's skin was grey and Robin's stayed normal.
    Makes perfect sense!
  • Options
    I often wonder if superheroes ever get their costumes laundered, because rubber suits plus physical exercise equals a lot of sweat and a not very nice smell.
  • Options
    Is spirit gum also what they use to get the cloth of the costume to perfectly conform with the shapes of the muscles and the ripples in the abs?
    Answered with:
    I often wonder if superheroes ever get their costumes laundered, because rubber suits plus physical exercise equals a lot of sweat and a not very nice smell.
    It's sweat, Kyle... sweat.
  • Options
    A few years ago, I dressed as Batman for Halloween (an entirely inappropriate costume for a man of my size, but everyone wants to be Batman).

I bought a cowl from a guy that makes them (latex), and a black pleather cape. I put together a gray top and pants, some black trunks over top, black boots and gloves, made a pair of gauntlets, bat emblem, and a utility belt.

It turned out to be the warmest Halloween in over a decade that year in southeast Michigan, with temperatures in the mid-70's.

For about three hours, I was in this costume. The boots and gloves/gauntlets would have kept me toasty on their own, but add in the black pleather cape and a rubber cowl, and I was pretty sure I was going to die in that costume.

When it was time to get out of this thing, the boots and gloves were moist... but, wow, when I pull that cowl off, it was like someone pour a bucket of water over me.

Mad respect to the folks that wear the full neoprene/rubber costumes at conventions for 8+ hours, because I could NOT do it.

I still own all the pieces to the costume, but I haven't even considered putting it on again since then. Pretty sure, Batman in real life would die from dehydration and heat exhaustion before a bad guy ever got him.