Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The New Ultimate Spider-Man

So I am really into Spider-Man. The recent changes to the Amazing Spider-Man series have deterred me from reading that series though. I also don't care for the Ultimate universe because it is not the main universe. However I really like Spider-Man so I am willing to give The New Ultimate Spider-Man a chance. (The one in the black and red costume.) Is this comic series worth picking up? Do you recommend it? If not is there any newer Spider-Man series I should look into? (Keep in mind I like to read everything from a series. With the exception of the original Ultimate Spider-Man. I count this as almost a new series.)

Best Answers

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2012 Answer ✓
    I agree with @Krescan. I enjoyed the first USM and was really hopeful for the new series. I do like the new series, but I gotta admit that 11 issues in (I'm a DCBS customer so I'm a month behind), I haven't seen much happen--or at least something worth remembering month in and month out. Yet, this is Bendis' style and he is better read in one big chunk anyway--IMHO.

I don't mean to change your mind, but Slott's series of ASM has been a lot of fun. I didn't really like the changes made with One More Day, but I stuck with it, and once they handed the book over to Slott, Spider-Man has been a ton of fun. I think Slott took over with the "Big Time" arc. ASM is a book that I look forward to every month. You can really tell that Slott is having fun writing this at the same time he's staying true to who Spider-Man is, all the while working with the fubar mess that Quesada mandated with OMD, and that says something about who Slott is as a writer. C'mon! Someone back me up on this! :D
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Answer ✓
    @lagann127

"One More Day" (think of it as the prelude to BND) started with ASM #544 and jumped to the other SM titles (http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=104206)
    "Brand New Day" started with issue #546 (http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=116746)
    "Big Time" started with issue #648 (http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=214720)

ASM is currently on issue #689 so you will have some catching up to do. For BND Marvel had ASM as the only Spider-Man book and thus was shipping three times a month. The idea was that each month would have a three issue arc that would spotlight a writer and artist for that arc. If my memory serves correctly, they were good on the three issues a month, but arcs ended up running longer. Anyhoo, I felt that ASM was really trying to find its footing with "Brand New Day." There was no consistency with the writing or the art. Not that it was horrible or anything, it just seemed disjointed. Maybe it was BND hangover? As I stated earlier, I really feel as though the book found its footing and hit its stride once Slott took over as the main writer.

If you're doing the digital comics thing, you might be able to find recent issues on Comixology or the Marvel digital outlet (apps for your phone or tablet) when they go on sale. Comixology just had an ASM $0.99 sale as a promotion for the movie so it may be a while before they go back on sale. There's always trades... But if you're looking for straight issues, I think the new USM would be your best bet. Be sure to let us/me know if you like it or not. Cheers!
  • Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    Answer ✓
    New Miles Morales Ultimate Spider Man is absolutely brilliant, I picked up issue 1 on a lark having not read any of the previous USM and loved it. One of my favorite monthly books.

Side note, give Amazing Spiderman a break, it's the best Spidey has been in years. All the changes just made it better.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Answer ✓
    glad to hear that it stand on its own with out previous USM knowledge

but the original USM is a fun read too if you can find some TPBs at a con on the cheap

Answers

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I enjoy it very much, but I really enjoyed the original USM so I'm not sure if that makes me appreciate Miles more or if it's just a good story all around. I vote go for it but I'd be interested to see how others weigh in.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I've only read the first trade but I've enjoyed it so far. It's beat to feel Luke you're getting in on the ground floor.
  • Options
    lagann127lagann127 Posts: 5
    @fredzilla I have thought about reading Amazing Spider-Man starting with "Brand New Day". How many issues has there been so far? Call it OCD but I have a need to read the entire series. I can't just jump in. So if it's been 100+ that will be a bit too much to buy at once. It still peeves me a bit though that while Amazing Spider-Man was kind of rebooted it still kept going on the same issue number. I would have at least liked it to be numbered one. I think I may be looking into getting the New Ultimate Spider-Man. His costume looks pretty bad-ass no lie.
  • Options
    lagann127lagann127 Posts: 5
    @fredzilla Thanks a lot for the very helpful information filled comment! I will be ordering the New Ultimate Spider-Man #1, and I will be sure to post my thoughts on it. Thanks again for the information!