Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Dial H, who's reading it? What do you think?

Three issues in.

I'm really liking it. The fact that they are using obscure old throw away Dial H villains as current main adversaries at the moment is very much to my liking. Starting to give more background on the dial and looking forward seeing where this is taking us.

More Iron Snail please.

Comments

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I tried but I thought it was/is terrible. The pieces are there but just never put together well and that seems to be the history of the book time after time... it wasn't for me. The pieces are better than the whole IMO.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Only 2 issues in so far # 3 is in my dcbs box and should be here friday-ish. but I'm digging it enough that it is on my pull list. i wanna see where it is going for sure.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Yeah, I read it and really enjoy it. I don't know anything about old Dial H villains but I think that the new Heroes the writer has been coming up with are great.
  • Options
    Read #1. I appreciate what they are doing with it, but it's not my bag.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I'm really enjoying it so far. It is pretty much what I wanted from the book, and fits in great with my off-kilter favorites of the New 52.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I'm interested in the story, but the art just isn't a style that I like, so it's getting tougher for me to make it through each issue. Hopefully the story keeps me going...and I find I don't much like the protagonist, but I'm giving them some time to remedy that.
  • Options
    Yeah I can't say that this book is fun so much as it is...interesting. I find myself reading each issue multiple times and kicking it around in my head for a while. If earth two is a bowl of captain crunch then this is salmon sushi. Still good but takes some getting used to.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I think it is strong and esoteric and I like it... but don't love it. At least not yet. But there has been enough to like about it that I am going to give it a few more tries.
  • Options
    Just a question but for the people that enjoyed this, have any of you read any China Mieville? His writing has a very specific style and flow and it is unique but this comic just doesn't let his ability and uniqueness show. I think it overcompensates trying to cram in some of his feel. He isn't a comic book writer so it may just be due to his inexperience here and it could come into its own eventually or future projects. I'm a big fan of his work and I really wanted to love this one.
  • Options
    Nope, never heard of him before this. Press release said he was a novelist but that was the extent of my knowledge.
  • Options
    @Zhurrie I haven't read Mieville yet but I intend to. My older brother-in-law has been a fan of his for a long time, and when recommending him to me he talked about some really inventive and skillful use of the words on the printed page. That, at times, the way the text is presented in his books has an approach that is as much design as prose. At the time I had that conversation, I only knew about Mieville's cancelled Swamp Thing project (which was underway when Didio yanked Swamp Thing back to the DCU, killing that Vertigo project) and I figured that what sounded like Mieville's visual thinking would serve him well writing comics. And that may yet be the case, but I think we are watching that learning curve.
  • Options
    Absolutely @David_D if you enjoy reading (actually enjoy reading not just the usual NYTimes light fluff stuff, which it seems you do) then definitely start from the beginning (King Rat) and enjoy the ride. He is a true talent, in fact just yesterday I completed a quest for a 1st edition King Rat in perfect condition and it is now on my top 25 novel shelf. He's a joy to read but there are just so many aspects to his work that a comic is going to take him some time to perfect, if ever. I think he needs to have his own comic not a rehashed one that he has to work inside even though this should have fit his style and approach well. He destroys even the best comic writers at the favorite approach of making the setting/city itself a character and alive and this is where I think the boat was missed a bit.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2012
    Nope, I've never read China Mieville before but I'm intrigued. I'll have to hunt down his books one of these days.
  • Options
    @Zhurie Sounds great. He is definitely on my list.
  • Options
    Cool, I recommend reading his first book "King Rat" first then "Perdido Street Station" which is probably his finest work. You could skip King Rat though and go straight to Perdido Street Station if you wanted, I think it gives some insight and you see his craft grow with even more appreciation for Perdido though.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    I am more 'intrigued' by the series than actually 'liking' it. I love the concept, and I enjoy the art. The writing tho I find a little bit all over the place, too much madness coming from all over the page. I want to know more tho so it must be doing something right.
  • Options
    Just finished #3 last night. I'm liking the series and feel like we are finally going somewhere with this but I am finding the sequential narrative in the art a smidge tough to follow at times.