Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1248 Talkback: Before Watchmen

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited July 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
'Before Watchmen' has arrived. We take a Buy/Borrow/Pants look at the first month of books - 'Minutemen', 'Silk Spectre', 'Comedian' and 'Nite Owl'. (57:43)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    So none of the Before Watchmen miniseries were MEGA Buys, Burns or MEGA Burns? Interesting. I wonder what other forum members think on the topic.

Matthew
  • Options
    MarkRojasMarkRojas Posts: 22
    yeah, I was surprised to see so many still on the shelf a week later so I decided to just wait it out. Then after listening to these mixed reviews I will just wait to see if there's some sort of collection
  • Options
    UrbalcloudUrbalcloud Posts: 42
    Informative episode, guys. I enjoyed it.

Minutemen and Silk Spectre were the only two I was considering buying, but when I filled out my DCBService order there were books I wanted more than those, and it takes more than morbid curiosity to get my ducats these days.

I checked out both on the stands, though. So pretty, both of them. I really like both Cooke and Conner on art. In the end, neither book made it home with me, but I may end up grabbing some of the Silk Spectre's simply for the covers. A few of Conner's covers are just demanding to be framed!

Speaking of her, I disagree with Mike's assessment of Conner, but he makes some great points defending his opinion, and providing a nice insight into one artist's views on structure. Well spoken dissent has a place, and that's what I think we heard here.

Oh, I may go back and check out Nite Owl. The Geeks' review suggests I should at least give it a flip-through...
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Holy moley you guys liked Nite Owl?! That book has been trashed by just about every reviewer I've come across. Example:

avclub.com/articles/before-watchmen-gets-a-progress-report-and-batman,82191/

J. Michael Straczynski has written good comics in the past, but his writing has taken a steep decline in recent years after ill-conceived stories in The Amazing Spider-Man and Superman. Neither of those titles touches Before Watchmen: Nite Owl #1 (DC), a repugnant book that is an offense to Alan Moore’s work. The overwrought dialogue, the winking references to “TVs that will fit in our pockets,” the gratuitous attempts to make the book “mature”—it all works against the storytelling principles of Watchmen. The “no free lunch” theme of the issue could have been ripped from a seventh-grade creative-writing assignment, and even worse, Straczynski’s plot developments actually diminish Dan Dreiberg’s character.

Of all the Before Watchmen titles, Nite Owl is the one to skip. Straczynski’s idea of fleshing out Dan Dreiberg’s character is giving him an abusive dad who makes his wife beg for him to beat her. The relationship between Dan and (Nite Owl I) Hollis Mason was a major source of heart in Watchmen, but their first meeting is cut short so that the plot can get back to Evil Daddy and his leather belt. Dan comes home from the meeting to find all his Nite Owl memorabilia burned in the backyard, and when his father has a heart attack, he decides to sit in silence with his mother and let him die. Straczynski is trying to turn Nite Owl into Rorschach, and it just doesn’t gel with everything that has been previously established about the character.

It’s unfortunate that Rorschach’s first Before Watchmen appearance is scripted by Straczynski, who writes him as a caricature of Moore’s character. The abuse of Rorschach’s “hurm” for comedic purposes is disgraceful, especially when it happens six times in one issue. Subtlety is lost on Straczynski, who feels the need to have Nite Owl talk about his creeping sense that Silk Spectre and he are meant to be together, a sentiment that’s expressed much more gracefully in a four-panel sequence of Nite Owl watching Dr. Manhattan and Silk Spectre flirt. The closing lines of the issue have a Saturday-morning-cartoon feel, which is the last thing that should be said about anything associated with Watchmen. It’s a shame the story is so rough, because the art team of Andy and Joe Kubert is phenomenal, with Joe’s inks bringing a layer of grit to the story that the writing fails to capture.
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    So, a question regarding the Comedian #1. It is now "canon" that he did not kill JFK, and of course one can argue that it was only implied in the original book. But I read in an interview that Blake was purposely placed away from President Kennedy so that he could not save JFK from being killed. Where was the Comedian in this comic when Kennedy was shot? Curious, because though his involvement in the assassination was only speculated, Blake was explicitly mentioned as being in Dallas guarding Nixon on November 22, 1963.

chris
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited July 2012
    one of the top 5 books i got in my DCBS order was silk spectre and i was not expecting that at all

the comedian was pretty good too (did Azzarello kill Marilyn or JFK in one of his 100 bullets issues? seems like he did kill one of them) the talk about it feeling like it stopped I was thinking that that's how everyone was when they found out he'd been shot (at least how my mom and grandmother explained it that everyone just stopped whatever they were doing)

I didn't like minutemen, i agreed with Jamie that it was just the excerpts being made into a comic but it has potential

and i haven't read nite owl just yet so i'll be stopping the podcast till i'm finished
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Also, to CGS and anyone out there, if you don't like a book, don't continue to buy it. Even if DCBS tempts you with discounts. It's the only way to affect publishing changes in Marvel and DC
    I agree with you but in terms of these books...they are coming out no matter what.
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    Also, to CGS and anyone out there, if you don't like a book, don't continue to buy it. Even if DCBS tempts you with discounts. It's the only way to affect publishing changes in Marvel and DC
    I agree with you but in terms of these books...they are coming out no matter what.
    But if DC doesn't get the sales they expected (or see a substantial drop-off), which I don't truly expect to happen, they might think twice about doing something like this in the future and actually start looking forward.

chris
  • Options
    She is a competent artist. I am not expecting her to ape the original, no, but keep the flavor, the intent of the drawing. The reason behind the chosen sequential images. I expect her to be more creative. At the top of the game. Not average. Not good. The best. With the crowd she is lumped in to she should be. And, in my opinion, falls very short of it.
    The spirit of the book was carried through the other three for me. Not silk spectre.
    Taken that Cooke gave her the same layout as he took on shows how one is a master of the craft, which is needed for this, and one is not.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Okay, so far I have liked all the books! My tally:
    Minutemen: weak buy
    Silk Spectre: buy
    Comedian: buy
    Nite Owl: buy
    Notice: no strong buys yet! I hope to get at least a few further down the road. Anyway, I liked Amanda Conner's art. I think she was focusing on the idea that Laurel Jane is a teenager, so that's why you had the sort of Archie-looking art and even the SUPER-cartoony panel of what she is thinking about in some of the last panels of the grid. I'm also guessing that's why she was chosen for the assignment in the first place (her ability to go cartoon-y). Sooo, I think she used the grid well for her assignment. Though Mike seems to have a certain conceit about the use of the grid, I think there is room for experimentation and there probably aren't just a few ways to do it!
    Well, I'm looking forward to reading more in the single issues because I liked Len Wein's comments about the series in that Bleeding Cool #0. Besides, if I wait for the trades I probably wouldn't buy it. I'm just not that organized...
  • Options
    It's not the grid. It's what the grid contains.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Amen! I have no interest in the Before Watchmen books. While I think they're a bad idea, I'm not as completely morally opposed to it as others, but I just have no interest in them. I saw the DCBS discount and was going to buy them, then thought for a minute and wondered why? Because it's "cheap"? It's even cheaper to not buy it at all.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Minutemen #2 was super excellent.
  • Options
    call me an odd-ball, but I'm OK with the books. Sort of like all the "star wars" story expansions & prequels, It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the original work. (or in this case Watchmen proper). As far as all the "B.W." books, I need to wait until the stories are complete to formulate my opinion of each of the books. So far I'm cool with all the starts... Waiting to see where they go. I agree with Random73. Minutemen #2 was excellent. especially the last page.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    fiiiiiinnnnnaaaallllly got around to reading these books (that's the thing about prequels, there's no sense of urgency to get to them, you already know how the story is going to end right?

Gonna say of the 4 (Minutemen, Silk Spectre, Comedian, Nite Owl) Silk Spectre is the one head and shoulders above the rest. Great Art, Great story. I closed the book thinking Conner needs to be on a top of the line book immediately! Kubert's art was also strong in Nite Owl, but the story was just so-so (at best).