Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1249 Talkback: Previews

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited July 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
It's time once again for Previews! We go over the July Previews for items shipping mostly in September. (1:18:49)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Quick! Hide your credit cards! :O)
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Gonna apologize in advance for me droning on and on, I hate dead air and was hoping others would jump in, the did but not enough
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    @JamieD, Lio is one of my favorite current newspaper strips. Lio as a character is kind of a blend of Calvin (with a pet giant squid instead of a tiger) and Gomez Addams. There's no dialogue which makes it all the more interesting. If you like Charles Addams’ work, you'll probably like Lio too.
  • Options
    UrbalcloudUrbalcloud Posts: 42
    @JamieD, no worries on the droning, sir. Some of us appreciate the thoroughness. I've made some great buys thanks to you guys mentioning something I hadn't considered before. So, drone on, good sir. It's helping me buy smart.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited July 2012
    Where does it say that the Fables Werewolves of the Heartland OGN is a prose novel? I checked my Previews & it has a lot of artists to be a prose book.

Matthew

• Options
    UrbalcloudUrbalcloud Posts: 42
    @mguy1977 Everything I'm seeing on Google says it's a graphic novel, not prose.
  • Options
    MarkRojasMarkRojas Posts: 22
    gotta love the shout out for phineas and ferb, my father watches that show more than any adult man should
  • Options
    Awesome!

Matthew

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Awesome!

Matthew

My Bad, Now I am definately gonna have to buy it
  • Options
    Gonna apologize in advance for me droning on and on, I hate dead air and was hoping others would jump in, the did but not enough
    Sorry I could not stay longer. We usually carry the second half back and forth!
  • Options
    Awesome!

Matthew

My Bad, Now I am definately gonna have to buy it
    No problem Jamie D. don't sweat it.

Matthew
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Thanos has been around much more recently than the first Annhilation.

Hell, he had a six issue series titled The Thanos Imperative.
  • Options
    Aspen
    Homecoming #2

Boom
    The Hypernaturals #3

Dark Horse
    Ghost #0
    Michael Avon Oeming's The Victories #2

DC/Vertigo
    National Comics: Rose and Thorn #1
    Grifter #0
    Stormwatch #0
    Voodoo #0 (I'm ticked it got cancelled)
    Sword of Sorcery #0
    Team 7 #0
    Talon #0
    Phantom Stranger #0
    Earth 2 #0
    Worlds' Finest #0
    Red Hood and the Outlaws #0
    Catwoman #0
    Batwoman #0
    Superman #0
    Batman Inc. #0
    Justice League #0
    The Flash, Vol.1: Move Forward
    Justice League Dark, Vol.1: In The Dark
    Supergirl, Vol.1: Last Daughter of Krypton
    Huntress: Crossbow at the Crossroads
    DC Comics: The Sequential Art of Amanda Conner
    Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Vol.1

Dynamite
    Damsels #1
    Pantha #4
    Prophecy #4

IDW
    Star Trek: The Next Generation: Hive #1 (Pick of the Month)
    Rocketeer Adventures, Vol.2

Creator-Owned Heroes #4
    Epic Kill #5
    It Girl & The Atomics #2

Marvel
    Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz

Zenescope
    Grimm Fairy Tales: Bad Girls #3
    Irresistible #4
    Robyn Hood #1 (might be cheesecake art, but will probably be better written than Green Arrow #1)
  • Options
    DC
    The Savage Hawkman #0
    DC Universe Presents #0
    Nightwing #0
    Deathstroke #0
    Grifter #0

Guarding the Globe #1
    Youngblood #75
    Bloodstrike #32
    Prophet #29

MARVEL
    Captain America #17
    Captain America & Black Widow #636 & 637
    Winter Soldier #10 & 11

ASPEN
    Broken Pieces #5
  • Options
    Marvel
    Powers: Definitive Collection vol 5

Dark Horse
    Nexus Omnibus vol 1 - I've heard that it is good, your opinions
    BPRD: Plague of Frogs vol 4

DC
    All Star Western vol 1
    Amanda Conner
    Huntress: Crossbow at the Crossroads - and good?

IDW
    Ghostbusters Omnibus

And a few other things.

Anyone want to ride to Camelot & eat ham & jam & spam a lot? P422
  • Options
    I don't know why it was said that this was a light month. For me this was my most expensive month ever from DCBS. Of course it's probably due to all of the books I am getting. I am getting the GI Joe hardcover collection, volume 7 of the Transformers IDW collection, the Star Wars Old Republic encyclopedia, the Art of Fall of Cybertron game for Transformers, and Star Wars Illustrated art collection. You add all of those to my typical DC, Marvel, and independent titles, and it's a big month for me.

I am also trying all 4 of the new DC titles. It's the first time that all the new ones coming out had something that piqued my interest.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Murd's rapid-fire buy/borrow/pants was especially crazy on 2X speed.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    In the same way that I appreciate the work @Pants is doing as show-runner, I also appreciate the preparation and thoroughness @JamieD puts into the Previews episodes.

Good job, Sir
    ^:)^
    Don't forget what all Mike brings to the Previews episodes he is on. He has pointed out plenty of indy titles I would have never looked at.

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wow, all the #0 issues half off---but I gotta wonder how many would take advantage of that? Not me...

Dark Horse:
    Ghost #0
    Lobster Johnson: Caput Mortum

DC: (Like Pants, I won't get #0's of comics I'm not interested in...)
    BW: Silk Spectre #3
    BW: Comedian #3
    BW: Nite Owl #3
    BW: Ozymandias #3
    Talon #0 (gotta get it!)
    Sword of Sorcery #0 (only because of future CGS episode)
    Phantom Stranger #0 (because Murd made a good point about Anderson art.)
    Justice League #0
    Aquaman #0
    Wonder Woman #0
    The Flash #0
    Worlds' Finest #0 (Kevin Maguire!)
    Action Comics #0
    Batman, Incorporated #0
    Batman #0 (Gotta get it!)
    Batman and Robin #0
    Batwoman #0
    Batgirl #10 (Ed Benes!!!)
    Green Lantern #0 (why does he have a gun?)
    Leagion of SuperHeroes #0
    NIght Force #8
    Fairest #7

IDW:Hmm...I might have to get that Star Trek:Romulans since you mentioned it. I'm into watching ST:OS on DVD right now.

Image:
    Fatale #9
    It Girl & The Atomics #2

Marvel:
    Avengers Vs. X-Men #11
    Avengers Vs. X-Men #12 (looking forward to the ending)
    New Avengers #30
    Avengers #30
    Avengers Assemble #7
    Captain Marvel #4
    Daredevil #18
    Hawkeye #2
    First X-Men #2 (My Christos Gage buy!)
    Nemesis 2 #1 (Okay, okay...for CGS I'll get it!)

Abstract Studios
    Rachel Rising #11

Boom!
    Steed and Mrs. Peel #1

Dynamite
    Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt #1

Oni Press
    Stumptown: The Case of the Baby in the Velvet Case #1

Sooo...though you guys said it was a "light month" it seems like I will order about the same amount. It'd be lower though if not for Before Watchmen and a couple of the DC's new #0's.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Murd's rapid-fire buy/borrow/pants was especially crazy on 2X speed.
    I'd like to hear THAT set to music!
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    i agree on not wasting money, but also time, on 'the girl with a dragon tattoo' comic book version, based on my reading of a free digital version of the first issue, or preview issue. looking more forward to the django comic version from dc recently announced, and mentioned here on forums.
  • Options
    i agree on not wasting money, but also time, on 'the girl with a dragon tattoo' comic book version, based on my reading of a free digital version of the first issue, or preview issue. looking more forward to the django comic version from dc recently announced, and mentioned here on forums.
    Thanks for backing me up on girl w/ tattoo. It felt contrived in comics form. I don't know if it is the material or the creators, but it just didn't work.
    I need to read the book sometime.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Thanks for backing me up on girl w/ tattoo. It felt contrived in comics form. I don't know if it is the material or the creators, but it just didn't work.

the book is very exposition heavy for the first 2/3 of the text which, i personally don't think, lends itself to the visual medium of comics. there is a lot of talking heads and a lot of set up. now, when the dominoes finally begin to fall during the third act it is super exciting and tense but it takes a bit to get there.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

For me, it was the fact that I read the book, I saw the American movie. I really don't need to read yet another version of the same story.

And of course, I say this knowing that throughout the course of my life I have seen Star Wars in every different edition George Lucas has released, read the novelization, the comic book adaptation, the special edition comic book adaptation, Star Wars storybooks, book and record sets (yes, records - I'm old), etc.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Love the previews episodes, but one thing

Jamie said September usually doesn't have a whole lot going on because the stuff from Comic Con usually comes out a few months later

We're not counting last year right? :D

Keep up the great work
  • Options
    Judge Dredd/Batman Crossovers - Middle of the Road!!!!

You haven't a clue what your talking about. 'Judgement on Gotham' is one of the best intercompany crossover books ever. It's got script by Wagner and Grant (Who were wrting both Dredd and Batman at the time.) and amazing artwork by Simon Bisley!!!
    Even 'Die Laughing' has some great moments...adn the trade ven throws in the crazy Judge Dredd/Lobo crossover.

To say it's average or middle of the road just shows you don't know what the drokk you're talking about.