Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Secret History: Character Motivation

Hello,
I've finished the first omnibus of The Secret History by Pecau.
I really enjoyed it. However, I'm still having trouble identifying the motivations of the protagonists/antagonists.
Basically, why do they care? What does it matter to them who wins whatever war and who is in power?
Reka I can maybe understand; she's power-hungry and vengeful. She becomes the Lady Pope to be in power. Simple enough. But what about Aker and Erlin; do they just feel compelled to defend man against Reka and Dyo?
I would love to hear some thoughts. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I know this isn't an answer to your question but can you give me the gist of Secret History? I keep on seeing it in previews and I don't know whether to get it. Is there anything you can compare it to?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Honestly, even though I've read the contents of the first Omnibus twice (first as single issues, then collected), I still find it tough to keep track of everything and completely understand what's going on. It read better collected, but it's still a lot to take in. I kind of took it as squabbling siblings, fighting for centuries and shifting alliances the way siblings sometimes do. It's been a while since I read it, though. I'm planning on buying it digitally and re-reading it soon, since the last time I checked it was fairly cheap through Comixology.