Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My *Former* New Favorite Feature of the Forum that is now gone...

Let me just say - love the fact that pushing one of those little buttons at the bottom of a post is now no longer an anonymous thing.

Getting to see the little avatars of those that agree, disagree, like, dislike, etc., should cut down on a bit of trolling, or at least bring to light those that are just marking posts from a specific individual regardless of what they type.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    agreed (but does one also have to confirm the confirms.....)
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Let me just say - love the fact that pushing one of those little buttons at the bottom of a post is now no longer an anonymous thing.

Getting to see the little avatars of those that agree, disagree, like, dislike, etc., should cut down on a bit of trolling, or at least bring to light those that are just marking posts from a specific individual regardless of what they type.

*Like*. I can't access the button from my cell phone. :D
  • Options
    random73 said:

*Like*. I can't access the button from my cell phone. :D

OMG! - so tempted to *dislike* that

;)
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    think it's gone now?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    think it's gone now?
    Yep.

Bry "disliked" it!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

think it's gone now?
    Yep.

Bry "disliked" it!

That sucks. I finally saw who was disliking most of my posts over in the comic cover a day thread.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2012
    As the person who got in touch with Bryan to ask him about this new feature which, as it turns out, was not opted into, but rather was part of a software update, I will give my reasons for why I agreed with Bryan that it should be turned off--

It would be one thing if there was no anonymity from the beginning. But to have the forum running for a few months with these reaction buttons acting as anonymous feedback (and therefore the expectation that these votes would be kept anonymous) to then strip away that anonymity and making public behavior that was expected to be private is not fair play.

Does it make for interesting reading? Well, of course. And it would be different if giving feedback on posts from a certain point going forward would be visible, as then people could give feedback knowing that it was a public vote.

I'm sure not everyone will agree. But I thought it was better to just let you know what some of the thinking behind this was. And that the sudden visibility of the formerly private votes was something that surprised us, as well.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

WetRats said:

think it's gone now?
    Yep.

Bry "disliked" it!

That sucks. I finally saw who was disliking most of my posts over in the comic cover a day thread.

I'm glad it's gone.

I got my feelings hurt because a friend "disliked" something I said a month ago.

Ridiculous.

Though that brief glance was fascinating and informative.
  • Options
    I even started explaining my actions :D

And @WetRats keep in mind: Love hurts ;;)
  • Options
    The update has really uglied up nested quotes.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Since this was "opted" out, much to my personal disappointment, I propose that, if it is possible, the button options should be completely opted out of as well.

That way, if someone has an opinion on a post, they would actually have to express it in a post.

As for anyone upset because, "goodness gracious, people can see my opinion on something previously posted," man up and have the courage of your convictions.

Sheesh.
  • Options
    David_D said:

As the person who got in touch with Bryan to ask him about this new feature which, as it turns out, was not opted into, but rather was part of a software update, I will give my reasons for why I agreed with Bryan that it should be turned off--

It would be one thing if there was no anonymity from the beginning. But to have the forum running for a few months with these reaction buttons acting as anonymous feedback (and therefore the expectation that these votes would be kept anonymous) to then strip away that anonymity and making public behavior that was expected to be private is not fair play.

Does it make for interesting reading? Well, of course. And it would be different if giving feedback on posts from a certain point going forward would be visible, as then people could give feedback knowing that it was a public vote.

I'm sure not everyone will agree. But I thought it was better to just let you know what some of the thinking behind this was. And that the sudden visibility of the formerly private votes was something that surprised us, as well.

But is someone really going go wading back through a few months worth of posts to check out who did what?
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Oh yeah. In a heartbeat.