Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punisher series ending

Greg Rucka's new Punisher series is ending, and will have a five issue limited series to wrap it all up...and that's a damn shame.

I have liked Rucka's take on the character and the stories he has been telling. While they are set in a super-hero world, they feel like rough crime fiction, and he's done a great job of putting together a new supporting cast. I especially like that the only window we have into what the Punisher is thinking are his actions. No internal dialogue, no long expository discussions...he simply acts and we have to put the meaning to it. It also puts more of the burden of storytelling on the art, which is what a comic book SHOULD do.

It's a shame that the series didn't take off.

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I love Rucka, and I love Punisher... but I have to say that the first three or four issues of this series I tried didn't grab me. I do intend to read it eventually, but after reading 1 or often 2 Punisher titles a month for I don't know how many years now, the latest volume was enough to get me to trade wait for awhile.

We'll see what they do next, but given that they have (surprised me by) actually expanding the MAX line lately (with the Fury MAX, The Untold Tales of the Punisher mini, and the upcoming Wolverine MAX) it may be that the next volume of Punisher will be out of the MU and in the MAX imprint.... Where it makes more sense, I think. Not that I am not game for Punisher in the MU. There have been a lot of those I have enjoyed. But I have to say the Ennis MAX era of Punisher more than any other showed me where the character works best. At least, for me.
  • Options
    Personally, I had high hopes for the series but didn't get a thrilled by what I saw. I don't know what I was really expecting but I didn't hate the series. For those who loved it you'll probably hate me for dropping off & helping to kill the book. All that being said, I did like the idea of frank getting a partner who seemed to be willing to go as far as him. I think that had been done before, @David_D will probably be able to confirm it, but I still would have liked to see what would have happened.

Another thing was while I thought the art was good I didn't think it really suited the Punisher character. If you ask me to define something specific that I thought was off, I really can't, but I thought something more should have been done with frank. Bulk him up more or make him look taller. Probably I've just stumbled on something and that is I don't think Frank was threatening or imposing enough in the art, despie there being some interesting visuals throughout the run on the book
  • Options
    In the end, it wasn't unexpected
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

Personally, I had high hopes for the series but didn't get a thrilled by what I saw. I don't know what I was really expecting but I didn't hate the series. For those who loved it you'll probably hate me for dropping off & helping to kill the book.

I'm a big fan, and I say buy what you like. Life is too short and money is too tight to buy a comic you aren't enjoying.

• Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    well, no matter how good some series are, if they aren't avengers, xmen, spider-man and FF, they have a snowball's chance in hell of having a long run. hmm, i miss GotG, Iron Fist, Runaways.

but heck, this is Punisher. he always comes back, one way or another...
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    demonbear said:

well, no matter how good some series are, if they aren't avengers, xmen, spider-man and FF, they have a snowball's chance in hell of having a long run. hmm, i miss GotG, Iron Fist, Runaways.

I miss GotG too.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284

demonbear said:

I miss GotG too.
    With a movie coming out I'm sure pretty soon there will be more GotG than you'll ever want.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Nick said:

demonbear said:

I miss GotG too.
    With a movie coming out I'm sure pretty soon there will be more GotG than you'll ever want.
    I'll take it!

You can make me eat my words later.