Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RIP Mary Tamm

chriswchrisw Posts: 792
news.drwho-online.co.uk/Obituary-Mary-Tamm-%281950-2012%29.aspx

I preferred the Lalla Ward Romana, since she had better chemistry with Tom Baker, but Mary Tamm was great as well, and under different circumstances probably could have been a stronger companion than she ended up being.

It's strange that she dies so soon after Caroline John, another actress whose tenure on the show was too short.

Comments

• Options
    little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    It feels like we've lost a lot of Dr. Who companions in recent years :(
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Who did Caroline John play? I'm not too good on classic Who.
  • Options
    She was Liz Shaw with John Pertwee
  • Options
    Was she the one who did a guest spot in Sarah Jane Adv?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    No that was Katy Manning I think, she played Jo Grant but also with John Pertwee. She replaced Liz Shaw
  • Options
    Ok thats right. Thanks!

So thats four we lost this year right? Hopefully any other deaths this year will be on screen and not off.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Rediscovered Mary Tamm's Romana this past year as I've slowly rewatched the "Key to Time" season on Netflix and Amazon Prime (those stories are among the far-too-small number of streaming episodes available, and the only full season you can currently catch that way), and I've really come to appreciate her portrayal. Sure, she was beautiful, but what's really great is the "I'm fresh out of the Academy and therefore I know everything" attitude she gives the character, and you see some real growth in her over the course of that season. Lalla Ward's Romana was a warmer version of the character, but Tamm's was just as charming in a much different way. She'll be missed.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    And as it's been said time and again lately, fuck cancer.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

Rediscovered Mary Tamm's Romana this past year as I've slowly rewatched the "Key to Time" season on Netflix and Amazon Prime (those stories are among the far-too-small number of streaming episodes available, and the only full season you can currently catch that way), and I've really come to appreciate her portrayal. Sure, she was beautiful, but what's really great is the "I'm fresh out of the Academy and therefore I know everything" attitude she gives the character, and you see some real growth in her over the course of that season. Lalla Ward's Romana was a warmer version of the character, but Tamm's was just as charming in a much different way. She'll be missed.

On the topic of Netflix, just a couple weeks ago I streamed Tales That Witness Madness, which turned out to star a young Mary Tamm. May even be her first major role. She looked even better than she did on Doctor Who, probably because big budget film does a better job than cheap BBC video at capturing someone's looks.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    She was an absolutely stunning and beautiful actress. My preferred of the two Romanas. Very sad to hear of her passing.
  • Options
    I may have preferred lala ward as the character but tamm outshined her as a person. Beautiful, talented and a solid actress!

I remember when she first came on and was so brusque. My teenage mind went 'oh god what are we in for now' even though I knew the doctor could easily handle her. Then I realized I loved her stories and rematches them often.
    Lala replacing her was strange, but the chemistry was there for a time. I think they wrote better romana for lala than tamm.

Having ignored who for years I came back and researched Tamm's run. I was shocked at how beautiful she was! 25 years later does wonders for some things. Now I prefer her to lala. Tamm gave romana a Vulnerability and depth that few assistants had. And there was chemistry between her and baker, but is was subtle.

I will miss her.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Mary Tamm made my young geek heart go thumpity thump thump. Can't count how many times I've watched the Key to Time episodes.

God speed my lovely.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Nick Courtney, Mary Tamm and Liz Sladen all in one year? Damn.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Very sad news indeed. I also liked her a bit better as Romana.