Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1256 Talkback: Comic Talk: News Edition

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited July 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Neil Gaiman returning to Sandman, John Layman taking over writing duties on Detective Comics and Marvel movie news are just some of the stories from Comic-Con that we discuss in this episode. We also get a health update from Jamie. (1:07:56)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Jamie - has the radioactive sugar ever given you the superhuman powers of a sugar molecule? Just wondering.

And on a more serious note, I know you said that none of us understand how much the support means to you. I saw firsthand how much all the support my mom got when she was going through all these same things meant to her, so while I don't know completely what it's like to be in your shoes, I have an idea. Right now, one of the best things you can do is keep a positive attitude - it makes a huge difference and I'm glad to see that you're doing exactly that.
  • Options
    Books of Magic WAS set in the DC universe. The ongoing series was Vertigo, and the trade was Vertigo, but the original mini was DCU. it was originally going to be written by J M DeMatties as text with illustrations by John Muth, Kent Williams, and other painters. basically being the magical version of History of the DC Universe. the basic idea survived in Gaimans version. Each book focuses on a different area of the magical universe, but it features, Arion, Dr Fate, Deadman, Zatanna and many other DCU characters.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I avoid Facebook/Twitter so the news about Jamie was new to me. Hang in there man and I know you can kick its butt again. I'll be praying for you!
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Time to unretire that pimp hand stick/cane and start clobbering cancer with it. I see those Ray Romano commercials for Stand Up to Cancer but what we need is to make one titled beat the ever loving (blank blank) out of cancer. Similar to the egg commercials done for anti drugs message in the 80s & 90s. Do a sledgehammer one working on tearing down a home & remodeling to make a better home (human body) cancer free.

Seriously we are all thinking about you & praying for you Jamie & we hope you get better as soon as possible.

Matthew
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    First of all Jamie I want to wish you all the best in your battle babe.You beat this once an I pray you beat it again.Now for my rant.
    This once great podcast has now turned into the'Pants talk over everyone show',just listening to Peters new show tells me how far this drivel has gone downhill.
    I'm
    sorry but there's so many better podcasts to listen to.
    Goodbye,and again Jamie best wishes hun.xx
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Layman on Detective Comics means that it will replace the JLI book that I am loosing at the end of this month. So that is a big improvement on the Batbooks in my opinion. Hmm Sandman, I would rather start reading "classic" Hellblazer instead just my preference. I am most excited for Guardians of the Galaxy movie of the movies announced. Finally, they need to retitle SDCC to the SD movies, tv, and some comics con international. I honestly feel the "smaller" cons are the ones for people focused on comics. Thanks to the CGS crew for going to HeroesCon, Toronto, NYCC, etc. for the people who can't go like myself.

Matthew
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    D-Man,

Get more gooder soon so you can keep everyone in line.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Big mad love to you Pimp. Go kick cancer's ass.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I just lost my uncle this past Wednesday to cancer.

@JamieD, I don't want to hear you say that you're going to beat it. I want to hear you say that you are going to pulverize it and not just kill it, but completely annihilate it. Beat the beast into total oblivion so that it never shows its ugly face again. Kick it's mother f'ing arse!

My thoughts and prayers are with you Pimp.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited July 2012
    busty said:

This once great podcast has now turned into the'Pants talk over everyone show',just listening to Peters new show tells me how far this drivel has gone downhill.
    I'm
    sorry but there's so many better podcasts to listen to.

I've lost track.
    Is that his third flounce, or his fourth?
    ;)
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    To start with an aside: Is it just me or is Jamie going for the record for consecutive episode usage of the word "gravitas" Heh-heh...(but I don't listen to eps in order)
    Anyway, keep fightin' the good fight, Jamie!
    Sandman: never was into it, though I did like that female Death character.
    Detective: Wha---?!? There was a tie-in to Court of Owls? Oh, well: missed it.
    Marvel movies: Yeah! I like what's coming down the pipe! Iron Man: yeah, the Mandarin, but what's up with that Iron Patriot costume? Cap: Winter Soldier sounds cool. (Heh-heh, pun not initially intended). Thor: what was it? "Dark ....."? Don't know about that one. Say, is there gonna be a Hulk movie starring the actor that was in Avengers? Ant-man: well, I wish they'd just announce it! Any DC movie news?
    Eisners: Well, I'd like to attend one time just to experience it.
    JLA Dark: they had their chance at #1 thru 6 or so and blew it. They won't get me back no matter who's writing it.
    Laters, guys!
  • Options
    RadioWayneRadioWayne Posts: 22
    Praying for you Jamie! You got this.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    To start with an aside: Is it just me or is Jamie going for the record for consecutive episode usage of the word "gravitas" Heh-heh...(but I don't listen to eps in order)
    Anyway, keep fightin' the good fight, Jamie!
    Sandman: never was into it, though I did like that female Death character.
    Detective: Wha---?!? There was a tie-in to Court of Owls? Oh, well: missed it.
    Marvel movies: Yeah! I like what's coming down the pipe! Iron Man: yeah, the Mandarin, but what's up with that Iron Patriot costume? Cap: Winter Soldier sounds cool. (Heh-heh, pun not initially intended). Thor: what was it? "Dark ....."? Don't know about that one. Say, is there gonna be a Hulk movie starring the actor that was in Avengers? Ant-man: well, I wish they'd just announce it! Any DC movie news?
    Eisners: Well, I'd like to attend one time just to experience it.
    JLA Dark: they had their chance at #1 thru 6 or so and blew it. They won't get me back no matter who's writing it.
    Laters, guys!
    I think using that word brings more GRAVITAS to the show ;-p
  • Options
    elkinscselkinscs Posts: 40
    Jamie, even though I haven't been around that long, I just wanted to wish you the best. As the great Red Green once said, "keep your stick on the ice, we're pullin' for ya."

Sandman is one of those classics that I really need to get into. Just recently finished my first read of Watchmen, maybe I'll grab that one next.

I heard Tony Daniel was leaving Detective. That is pretty great news since the story was going nowhere. I really like his art at times though. If anyone is looking for a new bat-book, I jumped on Dark Knight when Hurwitz took over the writing duties; it's really good. And kudos to David Finch for knowing he was out of his depth as artist/writer. the cover to DK #10 is terrifyingly great.

Excited for the Winter Soldier movie. Even though it was really obvious that it was Bucky, that will translate beautifully to film.
  • Options
    Regarding Jamie's observations that Most artists are moving away from signing Marvel or DC exclusives?

I think Jamie needs to look at the trajectory of each creator he mentioned.

Guys like David Finch and Jamal Igle are vets who've already established their brands with DC and or Marvel by doing years of mainstream books. They're now ready to test the market waters with creator owned ideas.

Dave Marquez is a newcommer and needs the exposure of working for Marvel to build his readership and fanbase.

There's also the security of of health benefits and regular paid work that comes with these exclusives.

There will always be guys willing to sign a 2-3 year contract with one of the big 2, no matter what happens on the creator owned side of the biz.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    @JamieD did you say Black Panther was more copmpetent than Batman?!?! *sputters*
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

Regarding Jamie's observations that Most artists are moving away from signing Marvel or DC exclusives?

I think Jamie needs to look at the trajectory of each creator he mentioned.

Guys like David Finch and Jamal Igle are vets who've already established their brands with DC and or Marvel by doing years of mainstream books. They're now ready to test the market waters with creator owned ideas.

Dave Marquez is a newcommer and needs the exposure of working for Marvel to build his readership and fanbase.

There's also the security of of health benefits and regular paid work that comes with these exclusives.

There will always be guys willing to sign a 2-3 year contract with one of the big 2, no matter what happens on the creator owned side of the biz.

That seems to be the new route for creators these days. Once upon a time, creators busted their asses to work for the Big Two and that was when they had "arrived." Now, they bust their ass to work for the Big Two so that they can get exposure and a following and then pour their heart into a creator owned book. And honestly, I like it that way. It keeps an influx of new talent in the Big Two as the veterans move onto something where they can get a movie deal rather than hanging around writing 20 Marvel books every month (except for Bendis, it seems). And it lets the established creators really show what they're capable of when they branch out to creator owned work. And then if one of those books takes off and becomes the next Walking Dead, they get a nice paycheck.
  • Options
    You guys mentioned the Walking Dead Escape during the podcast. I ran it. It was fantastic!

I live in San Diego, and attend Padres games often, so it was fun to see the stadium transformed the way it was. As you're running, you end up running in "groups" of 3-5 people. It just naturally happens. I had a "screamer" with me. This girl that kept screaming at everything. It was a lot of fun running the course with her, and hearing her scream. You really added to the "drama".

I felt really immersed. I don't watch Walking Dead, but it was really fun to run through this urban environment, climb over obstacles, see these shells of cars, and have these zombies coming after me. It was a blast!

I hope they bring it back next year, because I'd do it again. I normally just run 5ks, but I'm completely hooked on zombie runs now, and plan on running a zombie 5k later this year.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    @Alpinemaps: Wow, now I wanna do a zombie run. I hope they can start these at other conventions! FanExpo would be a good one with the stadium right next to the convention center.