Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1257 Talkback: Avengers vs X-Men Month 4

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited July 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
An Avenger burns, Namor attacks Wakanda, and the Phoenix Five lose a member. All this and more from issues 7 and 8 of Avengers vs X-men. (57:34)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    MarkRojasMarkRojas Posts: 22
    edited July 2012
    I thought the interaction between Red Hulk and Namor was an awesome reverse to what we saw in the Avengers Movie between Hulk and Loki
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I just started to listen to this then realized I haven't read these issues yet.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    These last two issues of AvX and the tie-ins in Avengers and New Avengers have really intensified my dislike of Scott and sadly the X-Men in general, and I have never disliked the X-Men. If that is something Marvel is going for, mission accomplished.

With all of the data gathering Tony and T'challa have been trying to find a scientific answer to the Phoenix five, why haven't we seen at least a panel or two where Reed and the FF kids are being talked to. With all of the things the Phoenix Five have been doing around the world, it'd be nice to see Reed's reaction and input on all of it. Has this happened in any of the tie-ins?

Since you guys didn't talk about it, the AvX Versus issue had Daredevil against Psylocke Emma fighting Thor.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    You know, I think I managed to miss #8 somehow. Huh.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Greg said:

These last two issues of AvX and the tie-ins in Avengers and New Avengers have really intensified my dislike of Scott and sadly the X-Men in general, and I have never disliked the X-Men. If that is something Marvel is going for, mission accomplished.

With all of the data gathering Tony and T'challa have been trying to find a scientific answer to the Phoenix five, why haven't we seen at least a panel or two where Reed and the FF kids are being talked to. With all of the things the Phoenix Five have been doing around the world, it'd be nice to see Reed's reaction and input on all of it. Has this happened in any of the tie-ins?

I believe in one of the tie-ins Reed helps with a gate to Kun Lun.
  • Options
    I've realized that all of the Phoenix 5 have been villains at one time or another (if you count Scott merging with Apocalypse in The Twelve story line and Colossus being corrupted by Cytorrak).

With that in mind, and some of the interesting behavior of everyone but Cyclops (especially in the tie-ins), I think they are slowly clarifying that the X-Men are the villains in this epic.

This leaves me just a little disappointed. I was hoping for a very blurry line between the two teams to continue until the end (sort of like Civil War), but this month seems to have sealed the fate of the X-Men.

I think one can still argue that the Avengers should have stopped attacking the Phoenix 5 by now though. They are accomplishing too many altruistic goals for anyone to instantly write them off.
  • Options
    BTW - Does anyone have a reliable website their using for reading order of the titles?

As a monthly DCBS customer, one benefit is reading all the titles at once; but it is better when they're in a good order for the overall story!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Guys, thanks for reading all these issues. I purchased those illustrated by Coipel, just because he's awesome. However, I have a serious case of event fatigue and empty-wallet-itis and didn't feel like playing along this time.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    so, where do we think we are going with this "the Dragon and the Pheonix" imagery? I'm guessing everybody retreats to K'un L'un and the pheonix force confrontation happens there. Does the mystical Dragon Chiantang appear to battle the pheonix. i want to see Iron Fist ride the Dragon into arial combat against the pheonix... i mean really ! how cool would that be/
  • Options

I've realized that all of the Phoenix 5 have been villains at one time or another (if you count Scott merging with Apocalypse in The Twelve story line and Colossus being corrupted by Cytorrak).

With that in mind, and some of the interesting behavior of everyone but Cyclops (especially in the tie-ins), I think they are slowly clarifying that the X-Men are the villains in this epic.

This leaves me just a little disappointed. I was hoping for a very blurry line between the two teams to continue until the end (sort of like Civil War), but this month seems to have sealed the fate of the X-Men.

I think one can still argue that the Avengers should have stopped attacking the Phoenix 5 by now though. They are accomplishing too many altruistic goals for anyone to instantly write them off.

Good lord that is astute! What a great revelation!

Colossus has been evil several times.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Once again, thanks for the episode guys! Oh, that dead dinosaur you mentioned in issue 8 (that Pants asked about) was one of the creatures that Namor's mounted division was riding (see page 7 panel 1 or thereabouts...the pages aren't really numbered) . Anyway, I enjoyed both issues, but as was mentioned the art in # 8 was very uneven. It almost looks like there were two or more different inkers rather than just the one that is listed. Okay, on my way home to check the Marvel AR stuff in these two books...
  • Options

BTW - Does anyone have a reliable website their using for reading order of the titles?

As a monthly DCBS customer, one benefit is reading all the titles at once; but it is better when they're in a good order for the overall story!

Right. Seriously, would it kill anybody at Marvel to supply a reading list? "Read the tie-ins in this order." Helps a lot with the story comprehension

For instance, it only occurred to me recently that all of the New Avengers issues regarding K'un L'un and the Iron Fist who first tangled with the Phoenix come after Avengers vs X-Men #8. It makes more sense that way. They couldn't post a footnote about that in each issue?

• Options
    ThreadKillerThreadKiller Posts: 55
    edited August 2012

Right. Seriously, would it kill anybody at Marvel to supply a reading list? "Read the tie-ins in this order." Helps a lot with the story comprehension

For instance, it only occurred to me recently that all of the New Avengers issues regarding K'un L'un and the Iron Fist who first tangled with the Phoenix come after Avengers vs X-Men #8. It makes more sense that way. They couldn't post a footnote about that in each issue?

Ya...this dawned on me as well. Hope was already in K'un Lun, with Spidey, in the New Avengers books. Since I read everything monthly, I probably would have read them out of order anyway; but this is still a good example.

I've used one or two geeky sites for a reading order list, but none of them seem super accurate.

Was hoping Corwin had a lead on this. He must be putting together a binding map by now!
    ^:)^
  • Options

Ya...this dawned on me as well. Hope was already in K'un Lun, with Spidey, in the New Avengers books. Since I read everything monthly, I probably would have read them out of order anyway; but this is still a good example.

I've used one or two geeky sites for a reading order list, but none of them seem super accurate.

Was hoping Corwin had a lead on this. He must be putting together a binding map by now!
    Well, let me offer my take on it.

As best as I can figure it out -- and I may be in some error, since there are still more issues to come and be added to the list -- this is how the story plays out, including most of the tie-ins:

Avengers: X-Sanction #'s 1 - 4
    Avengers vs X-Men #'s 0 - 2
    AvX vs #1
    Avengers #25
    New Avengers #24
    Wolverine And The X-Men #9
    Avengers Academy #'s 29 - 31
    X-Men Legacy #'s 266 - 267
    Avengers vs X-Men #3
    Wolverine And The X-Men #10
    Secret Avengers #'s 26 - 28
    Avengers #'s 26 - 27
    Uncanny X-Men #11
    Avengers vs X-Men #4
    AvX vs #2
    Wolverine And The X-Men #11
    Uncanny X-Men #12
    Avengers vs X-Men #5
    AvX vs #3
    Uncanny X-Men #13
    Avengers vs X-Men #'s 6 - 7
    Avengers Academy #'s 32 - 33
    Uncanny X-Men #'s 14 - 16
    X-Men Legacy #'s 268 - 269
    Wolverine And The X-Men #'s 12 - 13
    AvX vs #4
    Avengers vs X-Men #8
    New Avengers #'s 25 - 28

I haven't yet obtained the last couple of weeks worth of books, so they're not yet figured in. If anyone has objections or corrections to this order, or if I've missed anything, I'd love to hear about it -- I'd love to get the books in as close-to-perfect continuity order as possible.

• Options
    Nice work! It would be cool if we can keep this update on the forum. It definitely help out those of us who receive monthly DCBS shipments!
  • Options
    I've picked up a few more titles, so let me update this list a bit:

AvX vs #1
    Avengers #25
    New Avengers #24
    Avengers vs X-Men #3
    Avengers #'s 26 - 27
    Uncanny X-Men #11
    Avengers vs X-Men #4
    AvX vs #2
    Uncanny X-Men #12
    Avengers vs X-Men #5
    AvX vs #3
    Uncanny X-Men #13
    Avengers #28
    X-Men Legacy #'s 268 - 270
    Wolverine And The X-Men #'s 12 - 14
    AvX vs #4
    Avengers vs X-Men #8
    New Avengers #'s 25 - 28
    Avengers vs X-Men #9

That's updated now through last week's releases. It'll be a couple of weeks before I get any more books, but I'll be happy to update it when I get them. Unless someone else wants to jump in.

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    edited August 2012

Here's my ongoing binding list...
    top part is spliced (mainly for the binders)
    bottom part is unspliced (ordered by issues alone)

(Feedback is of course welcomed!)

Don't sleep on the CGS Binding Subforums! Posts and links can be found there.
    random73 said:

so, where do we think we are going with this "the Dragon and the Pheonix" imagery? I'm guessing everybody retreats to K'un L'un and the pheonix force confrontation happens there. Does the mystical Dragon Chiantang appear to battle the pheonix. i want to see Iron Fist ride the Dragon into arial combat against the pheonix... i mean really ! how cool would that be/

The connection between the two is followed up in the early New Avengers issues #25-26.

There is a lot of connections between New Avengers #25-26 and AvX #1....let me see if I can find some pics...

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    edited August 2012

and a random one for good measure...the second one is from New Avengers #1 volume 1
  • Options
    I picked up a few more titles, so I thought I'd update the list:

AvX vs #1
    Avengers #25
    New Avengers #24
    Avengers vs X-Men #3
    Avengers #'s 26 - 27
    Uncanny X-Men #11
    Avengers vs X-Men #4
    AvX vs #2
    Uncanny X-Men #12
    Avengers vs X-Men #5
    AvX vs #3
    Uncanny X-Men #13
    Avengers #28, 29
    X-Men Legacy #'s 268 - 270
    Wolverine And The X-Men #'s 12 - 14
    AvX vs #4
    New Avengers #'s 29
    Avengers vs X-Men #8
    New Avengers #'s 25 - 28
    Avengers vs X-Men #9, 10

This is current up to last week's releases.

The one to watch out for is New Avengers #29: the events in the story obviously take place before Avengers vs X-Men #8, before Namor loses his share of the Phoenix force. Whereas the previous issues, #'s 25 - 28, take place after. Someone wasn't checking his timeline when the story was written.