Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Waid Daredevil Trades?

Hey you super-hero types, as the Waid Daredevil series been collected at all? Since it won three Eisners, I thought I might give it a shot.

Comments

• Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Never mind...I did a little research and it looks like there are two volumes available, although Vol. 2 is only available in hardcover right now.

So on a related note, then, do you guys like it? What makes it Eisner-worthy?
  • Options
    I got the hardcover of the first one and I was hooked. My general thoughts on the state of the title (spoiler free): http://www.rpsteeves.com/2012/06/wrapped-up-like-comic-review-daredevil.html
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    So on a related note, then, do you guys like it? What makes it Eisner-worthy?
    It got my vote. Fun, well paced stories, with fantastic art by Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin. And great, clever visual representations of Daredevil’s abilities.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Pure Comic-y Goodness!
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited August 2012
    I loved, absolutely loved Bendis' run, and that's when I fell in love with the character. However, it was very dark and dreary. It seemed there was no end to Matt's suffering and the subsequent writers kept that tone. Waid takes DD out of the shadows and is doing something new and "silver age"-like with him. The stories are engaging and drawn with a nostalgic feel. It's just what funny books should be.

Maybe it's also successful since it hasn't been included in the most recent Marvel events...
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    yeah @fredzilla has it exactly right. it is a significantly lighter tone than what came before and you really get a feeling of madcap adventure fromt he book but i think the thing that really puts it over the top is the art and the unique ways they as a team develop to visually communicate DD's radar sense.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Just finished Volume 1 of Daredevil. Very well written, and I like Waid's approach, so I definitely will be continuing reading this series. My main hope is that it doesn't get caught up in the annual crossover hype and remains its own creature. That's the biggest turnoff to me right now with the big two.
  • Options
    Picked up the Vol. 1 Paperback yesterday. Looking forward to a quiet Saturday with a great book.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Oversized HC of the Daredevil Waid first 12 issues (I think) coming in next months Previews.... YAY!
  • Options

Oversized HC of the Daredevil Waid first 12 issues (I think) coming in next months Previews.... YAY!

Four Eisners deserve no less.
  • Options
    I waited until last month to start reading it. It is definitely a breath of fresh air and a great book, but after having read 5 issues, I can see it's getting old for me quickly. I like the grit and realism that the book usually has, but some writers lose sight of the fact that Daredevil is supposed to be a hero. By the end of the last series I thought Matt Murdock was a complete idiot, and I can see why people love Waid's take so much.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    WetRats said:

I am a DC guy at heart but I find Daredevil to be the most interesting Marvel character. The DD hardcover coming out is by far my most anticipated purchase for that month.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    WetRats said:

Marcos Martin and Paolo Rivera’s artwork in this book deserves no less, Eisners or no Eisners.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I am stopping from getting this in issues & will just get this in the 12 issue HC.

Matthew
  • Options

WetRats said:

Marcos Martin and Paolo Rivera’s artwork in this book deserves no less, Eisners or no Eisners.
    True as well.