Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1258 Talkback: Off the Racks

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited August 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
For this off the rack episode we give our thoughts on the first issues of some current mini series - American Vampire: Lord of Nightmares from DC/Verigo, The Infernal Man-Thing from Marvel and Prophecy from Dynamite. We also throw in some John Carter movie talk. (1:11:52)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I love Synder's American Vampire (I read the series in HCs) & enjoy his work on Batman w/ Capulo. Sadly, I don't like his Swamp Thing I give it 7 or 8 issues because there was a writer that did the series much better. Maybe you heard of him, Alan Moore. I read the HCs of Moore's Swamp Thing as they came out. Now that is a damn fine comic. Marvel is the home of the money whore of the $3.99 price. Do you get more pages in the Man Thing series at least? Thanks for the DVD review Jamie D.

Matthew
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Can't listen till I get home but I can chime in on Prophecy.

For being Dynamites first big premeire crossover, this issue did absolutely nothing to draw me in. the art I was fine with, the writing lost me. I'm a whore when it comes to Sonja, so I was hoping this would draw me in quick, but I had hard time getting through it. The Sonja/Witchblade crossover from Dynamite was pretty good.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2012
    D'oh! You guys!

The Man-Thing book is SOOOO good! The art was so cool and the story was weird and fun.

Buy! Buy! Buy!

#2 is very good as well.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Glad to see another convert to the John Carter is a good movie camp
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    The Man-Thing book was originally planned to be released as a single graphic novel. Kevin started working on it back in the late ’80s. He got 50 pages finished, and the remaining 12 pages penciled, before it was taken off the schedule.

It's been a long time since I talked with him about it, so I don't remember what exactly he said about the artistic decisions, but this was around the same time he drew the awesome Man-Bat story for Secret Origins, which was also done in a more stripped down, graphic style. His approach in the paints for Man-Thing leans more toward the expressionistic and abstract, though, so I can certainly see why it’s not for everyone.

I'm waiting for the collection. I’m not surprised Marvel decided to break it up first, but it wasn't written with that in mind, and Gerber's not around to tweak the story to make it work, so I don't want to read it in single issues.
  • Options
    wordballoonwordballoon Posts: 87
    edited August 2012
    The crazy unreported story is John Carter did okay in forgien markets and ended up making 278 million world wide. The film cost 250 mil . Vastly lower than studio expectations but not as bad as we'd think.
  • Options
    This is true, John. I don't talk about overseas grosses much as too many people don't understand how that works.
    Do to the success of JC overseas there was talk of a sequel, gearing it more towards that market than ours but Disney nixed it.
    If video sales exceed what Disney expects the possibility of a sequel will arise again, but will be likely to late.
  • Options
    Hey mike, without having to trawl through the episode again with an app thats terrible at doing exactly that, what was the name of the comics app you talked about?
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

The Man-Thing book was originally planned to be released as a single graphic novel. Kevin started working on it back in the late ’80s. He got 50 pages finished, and the remaining 12 pages penciled, before it was taken off the schedule.

It's been a long time since I talked with him about it, so I don't remember what exactly he said about the artistic decisions, but this was around the same time he drew the awesome Man-Bat story for Secret Origins, which was also done in a more stripped down, graphic style. His approach in the paints for Man-Thing leans more toward the expressionistic and abstract, though, so I can certainly see why it’s not for everyone.

I'm waiting for the collection. I’m not surprised Marvel decided to break it up first, but it wasn't written with that in mind, and Gerber's not around to tweak the story to make it work, so I don't want to read it in single issues.

No idea how a new Man-thing comic written by Gerber passed by me without me knowing. I will have to go order it now.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    @dubbat138, The trade paperback was solicited in the July for September Previews, if that helps.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

@dubbat138, The trade paperback was solicited in the July for September Previews, if that helps.

Thank @nweathington. I shall have to get the TPB then. The comic world lost a under-rated talent when Gerber died.
  • Options

Hey mike, without having to trawl through the episode again with an app thats terrible at doing exactly that, what was the name of the comics app you talked about?

Re:Active
    http://www.padiphone.com/application-reactive-522270509
    Let me know what you think!
  • Options

Re:Active
    http://www.padiphone.com/application-reactive-522270509
    Let me know what you think!
    Awesome thanks.
    The first one I possibly didn't understand properly, but I didn't find it that enthralling. the 360 one was pretty great, fantastic way to show what a digital comic can do and it was a great story that made you think hard about all the interactions that change over that stretch of time. Tilt I can see has potential and possible again that I just didn't get it, It just kept running through the same sequence regardless of what I was doing. I got the impression you could change the outcome.

A fantastic introduction of what can and should be done with this relatively new digital format. I seriously hope that marvel, dc and all other comics companies are working on things like this in some capacity. There is so much potential to be tapped.

Well done re:active guys
  • Options
    Personally, I give the Infernal Man-Thing a 'buy', but that's solely on the strength of Steve Gerber's presence. The writing isn't as strong as his other Man-Thing stories, but I go along with the already-mentioned concern that he was no longer around to tweak it. Still, the story is familiar territory for Gerber, not only in the noted Song-Cry Of The Living Dead Man, but also in a Howard The Duck story, Swan Song Of The Living Dead Duck, wherein a character is overwhelmed by the mundanity of his life to the point where the onset of a nervous breakdown invokes the manifestation of his fears. It's the kind of story that only Gerber seemed comfortable enough with to pull off, or at least to attempt, with some degree of success.

The art by Nowlan, however, was a disappointment, not so much for his approach to style but for his bizarre redesigning of the Man-Thing himself. I'd also thought that his strange appearance in the story was some story detail that hadn't been revealed, but was disturbed to find this wasn't so. It was one of those things that can -- and did -- bump me out of the story rather than draw me further into it. It's the same sensation you get from watching a really, really good movie that for some inexplicable reason has one badly dressed supporting actor stumbling all over the set in the background while the leads run through their scenes: it might be a really good dramatic scene otherwise, but all you can think about is the miscast clown and wonder who hired him in the first place.

I heartily echo the praise for the John Carter film, and agree with everything that was said about it. As soon as it was released to DVD, I rushed out and bought a copy, just in case it suddenly vanished from the stores as quick as it did from the screen. Such a severely underrated film!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    The reason why the movie was only called 'John Carter' was because a recent animated movie about Mars needing moms did so bad, marketing thought 'Mars' didn't market well.

I believe I've mentioned this in each pulp episode, but the problem with pulp movies is that they never market them correctly. I think the concept gets lost in the advertising. Maybe the marketing departments are too young & unfamiliar with the material to market correctly. I'm curious to see how 'The Lone Ranger' is marketed, especially with Johnny Depp in it.

The Green Hornet is the only pulp movie within Thr last 20 years I can think of that wasn't marketed correctly. Probably because there were so many other issues with the movie; number 1 being Seth Rogan.

M
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Just listened to this episode, thanks guys! I like a good Buy-Borrow-Pants challenge! I only read Prophecy and I thought it was okay. So it gets are BORROW from me. I didn't realize it but I had ordered #2 and...it was just okay, too. So, I expect I won't be getting #3. Anyway, if they TRULY did cut the "Warlord of Mars" off of the title because another movie did bad HOW STUPID CAN THEY BE? I mean, they lost a substantial part of the audience right there by not aligning it with the novels!