Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie/TV News: The Dark Tower

It looks like Javier Bardem is out and Russell Crowe may be in as Warner Bros. nears a decision whether to greenlight the first film in this project.

Deadline

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I thought this was dead, or is that just the tv/movie combo deal?
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    It was dead, but it was revived. The deal was initially being developed by Ron Howard and Brian Grazer at Universal back in 2010. The project would include 3 films and a TV season between each film. Howard would direct the films and produce the series, with Akiva Goldsman and Mark Verheiden serving as writers and executive producers. Javier Bardem was then offered the lead role. Universal eventually backed out in mid-2011. Some sources say it was due to budgetary concerns.

In late 2011, Grazer indicated HBO would carry the TV series, with Howard confirming it in early 2012. A few months later, we learned Warner Bros wanted to make the movies. That was perfect, as HBO is WB's sister company.

So, the TV/movie combo is still intact, but no word if Howard will still direct the films or if Goldsman and Verheiden will still run the TV series.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Here's hoping they get it done.
  • Options
    Wow! Super pimp! I'm curious just to see if that experiment can be pulled off.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I really hope if this ever happens we get a TV show instead of films.
  • Options
    well the idea is to do both simutaneously movie, tv season, movie, tv season, movie.
  • Options
    random73 said:

well the idea is to do both simutaneously movie, tv season, movie, tv season, movie.

Yeah I know. I just don't see this series working being adapted that way. Unless each movie is 3+ hours long. The Dark Tower series of novel is my LotR series. I have been a huge fan of them since I first read "The Gunslinger" back in 1988. And now have read all but book 4.5 at least 4 times.

• Options
    Steve King's long stories lend themselves to the miniseries format i think but i'd still be curious to give this a try if for no other reason than its never been done before. maybe with the X-files in some ways but really it would be a new format. I'm up for trying something new, most of the time.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Steve King's long stories lend themselves to the miniseries format i think but i'd still be curious to give this a try if for no other reason than its never been done before. maybe with the X-files in some ways but really it would be a new format. I'm up for trying something new, most of the time.

If it does come out I will be there opening night to see it. But I rather have each book as a season of a tv show. On a channel like HBO or really any channel that can show it uncut. I have been hooked on the books since I first read them years ago. When book 7 came out. I read it in 2 days. Then started over with the original printing of book 1 and read the entire series again.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    i always seem to find myself reading The Dark Tower in winter. i don't entirely understand why but some time in November i will find myself sitting at the kitchen table at 2am with The Gunslinger in my hands.
  • Options
    random73 said:

i always seem to find myself reading The Dark Tower in winter. i don't entirely understand why but some time in November i will find myself sitting at the kitchen table at 2am with The Gunslinger in my hands.

Once I finish "The Wind through the keyhole" I plan on sitting down and re-reading all "9" of the books in the proper order. If you are wondering why I said 9 ,when only 8 books have been published PM me. I have a theory about one of the early books. But I don't want to spoil anything for people reading this thread that have not read the entire series.
  • Options
    According to Variety, Warner Bros has passed on the Dark Tower film.

Variety
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

According to Variety, Warner Bros has passed on the Dark Tower film.

Variety

YAY!!!!!!!

I really hope this stays as a series of novels and comics.

• Options
    It seems Media Rights Capital may take on the project.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    dubbat138 said:

random73 said:

Once I finish "The Wind through the keyhole" I plan on sitting down and re-reading all "9" of the books in the proper order. If you are wondering why I said 9 ,when only 8 books have been published PM me. I have a theory about one of the early books. But I don't want to spoil anything for people reading this thread that have not read the entire series.
    @dubbat138 Could you be meaning The Little Sisters of Eluria as your 9th. I love these books. Half way through number two on my forth read through. Each time they just get better and better. I'd really love a movie/tv series of this. But it would really need to be done right. I must say I do think Ron Howard would do a good job. Although really don't want Russell Crowe as Roland.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

dubbat138 said:

random73 said:

@dubbat138 Could you be meaning The Little Sisters of Eluria as your 9th. I love these books. Half way through number two on my forth read through. Each time they just get better and better. I'd really love a movie/tv series of this. But it would really need to be done right. I must say I do think Ron Howard would do a good job. Although really don't want Russell Crowe as Roland.
    Nah Little Sisters of Eluria isn't what I consider the 9th book. It is more of a zero issue.