Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Marvel and Fox willing to trade Daredevil rights for Fantastic Four characters?

Fox's Daredevil reboot was scheduled to shoot this fall, but lost it's director, David Slade, due to his commitment to NBC's Hannibal pilot. Fox is under a deadline where they have to start production on the film by October 10th, or the rights to the character will revert back to Marvel.

Now comes word that Marvel Studios and Fox's chairman, Tim Rothman, have been in talks to extend the deadline and let the studio maintain the rights to the character. It's being reported that Marvel is willing to let Fox keep the character in return for the rights to use certain Fantastic Four characters that are currently held by Fox. Specifically, Galactus and the Silver Surfer. Apparently those 2 characters will factor into future Marvel Studios films.

Showblitz

Neither studio is commenting at the moment, but we'll soon learn if this is true or not. I think this is true and will probably happen. Like the article says, Daredevil is a gritty character and doesn't really play into the universe Marvel is currently creating, so it makes sense for them to not really want him back at the moment. And the introduction of Thanos and the GOTG will probably lead to greater cosmic stories that could include Galactus and the Silver Surfer. Fox used those characters in the last FF movie, so it's unlikely they'd be using them again anytime soon.

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    hmm, cool little back room deal.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I just hope it's the real Galactus, and not a cloud.
  • Options
    Nick said:

I just hope it's the real Galactus, and not a cloud.

Yeah, this would be the opportunity to do the character the way he was meant to be played -- by a ten-foot giant with a tuning fork on his head!

Seriously. I want to see that.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I want all of the FF and it's character's to go to Marvel.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    rebis said:

I want all of the FF and it's character's to go to Marvel.

Yeah. Maybe throw in some street level characters to balance it out.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Deadline is reporting there are no talks and Fox will possibly let the Daredevil rights revert back to Marvel.

Deadline
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Get the whole FF cast of characters back!! I wish marvel also had DD and spidey in a same universe...
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    "Daredevil" Rights Defaulting Back to Disney/Marvel

(deadline) As we reported yesterday, it was thought by many that Fox and Marvel had entered negotiations to swap the film rights to certain Fantastic Four characters (Galactus, Silver Surfer, and others) in exchange for an extension on Daredevil, whose film rights expire in October.

According to Deadline, however, these reports have been denied by sources at Fox. The site says the studio is much more passionate about keeping the Fantastic Four alive at their studio than Daredevil, so they will be keeping all the characters that come with that package. They also add that Fox is considering just waiting out the rights clock on Daredevil and letting it go back to Marvel and Disney.

Recently, director David Slade stepped off Daredevil and reports have come in that The Grey director Joe Carnahan has gone to the studio with a take on the character.

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Considering the current scope of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I think I'd rather see Galactus than Daredevil, however, I'm fine with either going back. The more characters back to Marvel the better.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I was hoping they could work out the trade and get a 10 minute cameo of the Thing for a Hulk vignette for a blu ray extra.

Maybe they'll get Daredevil and Punisher and can work them into a movie together. Heck Ghost Rider should be along shortly soon.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    tell me any of you wouldn't geek your pants at a daredevil, spiderman, punisher movie, with a cameo of Dr. Strange chillin in the village
  • Options
    Id rather see a Marvel Daredevil film over a Marvel FF film.