Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1260 Talkback: Previews

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited August 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
It's Previews time again! We go through the August catalog for items shipping in October and we also tell you what book to order 'if you want to crush your nuts as you read.' (1:27:21)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited August 2012
    Well I try my best to hold the line at $2.99 unless there is extra content (not more ads) if it is from the big two. Be it more money Bendis' unborn kids, Dan Slott's future lies that will be broken in six months to a year or an Marvel editor saying something stupid of twitter as in the past-- I'm not being hooked to the no prize bullcrap anymore. I will try the Uncanny Avengers since it is a low low price on DCBS & I will get the Kubert book from DC to try it out. After that it is we will see. I am slowly making the transition from issues to collected format only be it tpb or HC starting in Nov. & ending a few months later. So after 30 years -- DC's COIE & New52 reboots, Marvel's relaunch (aka mini reboot) & I'm still enjoying indies but want to make some changes. So I will be turn out the light very soon for myself as a monthly comics reader.

Matthew
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I would love to know what Comic Stores think of Cyberforce being free. Near as I can tell Top Cow funded it through Kickstarter but I think that comic stores have to pay for it (like Free Comic Book day) in order to then give it away. But there is no way that Cyberforce is going to get people in stores like free comic book day does. Seems like a losing deal for LCSs.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Super thin month for me this time around...

Twomorrows: The American Comic Book Chronicles (1960-1964) Vol 1 HC
    Archia: Space 1999 Aftershock & Awe HC
    Image: Saga TPB Vol 1
    Image: Multiple Warheads #1
    IMage: MacGyver #1
    IDW: Godzilla Half Century War #3
    IDW: The Zaucer of Zilk #1
    DC: Ghosts #1
    DC: Kirby Kamandi HC Vol 2
    DC: Green Lantern Titles

stoked for the start of TwoMorrows HC reference chronicle of comic book history (at least silver age)

super stoked for Multiple Warheads by that M**ther F**cker Brandon Graham who is amazing.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    No Marvel, not doing the reboot. Didnt care for AVX, so Im off...
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    That Saga TPB is SUPER cheap thru DCBS. I have all the issues and ordered the trade anyway because for $5 i couldn't beat it.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I love a good Pimp Rant!
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I know I've said it somewhere in the forums before, but I'm slowly whittling down my monthly floppy count. I get ASM, Daredevil, and USM from Marvel and maybe one or two more if they interest me and they're on sale at DCBS or $0.99 on Comixology. As for DC, I only get about 6-7 books and I try to make sure they're the combo version so I will at least have a digital copy if I ever give up my issues.

Just like @mguy1977, I too have been opting for the trade or HC (most recently Demon Knights and OMAC). I'm a teacher and I also look for stuff that I can put into the hands of students for reading and trades and HCs are better for that. When CGS did the best graphic novels episode, I was shocked at how many biography/non-fiction books I've read/own. I love me some superhero books. I mean love, but I find independent/non-superhero books seem to be so much more satisfying read right now (I can't believe I just admitted that. Gimme a second... *whew*).

All that being said, I really want that red and blue Spider-Man hoodie in this month's Previews.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    I always wait to listen to previews before putting in my DCBS order. I have my initial cart ready then add about 5 or 6 more items after previews! Here is my order

Cyber Force #1
    A Plus X #1
    Uncanny Avengers #1
    Ghost #1
    Phantom Stranger #1
    Punisher War Zone #!
    Talon #1
    Team 7 #1
    Bedlam #1
    BPRD 1948
    Fairest #8
    Ex Sanguine #1
    Legends of the Dark Knight #1
    Multiple Warheads Alphabet to Infinity
    Sword of Sorcery #1
    Wolverine Max #1
    Robyn Hood #2
    Daredevil End of Days #1
    Bleeding Cool Mag
    Joe Kubert Presents
    Peter Cannon Thunderbolt #2
    Stumptown V2 #2
    Action Comics Annual
    Batgirl Annual
    Justice League Dark Annual
    Swamp Thing Annual
    Saga TP
    Fairest TP Vol 1
    JLA Earth II TP
    Red Hood and the Outlaws TP vol 1
    DC Universe Presents TP vol 1
    Deadpool Kills Marvel Universe TP.

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Got my shipment early this month so I can post in a more timely manner. I'm trying to whittle things down, too! We'll see if I succeed.
    DARK HORSE:
    Probably only Ghost #1
    BPRD? No, the story is just getting dragged out (elongated, decompressed) for me.
    DC:Rorschach #2
    Dr. Manhattan #2
    Silk Specre #2
    Minute Men #2
    Comedian #4
    Justice League #13
    Earth 2#5
    World's Finest #5
    Talon #1
    Batman #13
    Batman and Robin #13
    The Phantom Stranger #1
    Sword and Sorcery #1
    Team 7 #1
    Legion of Superheroes #13
    Ame-Comi Girls #1
    Phantom Lady #3
    Batman/ScoobyD00 Halloween Fest#1
    Fairest #8
    IDW:
    Scary #1
    (That mention of someone trying to sell a page from an artist addition as if it were a real page? WOW! Just outlandish!)
    IMAGE:
    Cyberforce #1
    Non-Humans #1
    Halloween Eve
    Fatale #10
    It Girl & the Atomics #3
    MARVEL :
    (I agree with Jamie and his double-shipping rant, thus, this month, no double-shipped titles for me!)
    Uncanny Avengers #1
    A + X #1
    Avengers Assemble #8
    Hawkeye #3
    Daredevil #19
    First X-Men #3
    Powers: The Bureau #2
    (Poor Murd, they canceled the Thanos comic!)
    OTHERS:
    Rachel Rising #12
    Bleeding Cool #1
    ...and that's all folks!
  • Options
    In an effort to whittle down the stuff I wasn't 100% enjoying and looking forward to each month I cut all the before watchmen titles. That puts me at 7 dc, 7 marvel and 5 independents.

Batman
    Batgirl
    Flash
    Justice League
    Green Lantern
    Earth 2
    Nightwing

Amazing Spider-man
    Daredevil
    Defenders
    Captain Marvel
    Hawkeye
    Wolverine Max
    Uncanny Avengers

Ex Sanguine
    Saga
    Punk Rock Jesus
    Steed and Mrs. Peel (for my boy Steve Bryant)
    Revival (ditto for Seeley and Norton)

Aquaman got cut because this "others" storyline is still going to be continuing in November and I do not care about these characters at all. I'm looking forward to Indestructable Hulk next month that will replace the New Deadwardians mini which just wrapped up.
  • Options
    FYI - I can't access the main CGS website, nor the episode page.

"Network Access Message: The page cannot be displayed
    Explanation: The request timed out before the page could be retrieved.

Try the following:
    Refresh page: Search for the page again by clicking the Refresh button. This may have been a one-time error.
    If you are still not able to view the requested page, try contacting your administrator or Helpdesk.

Technical Information (for support personnel)
    Error Code 1460: Timeout
    Background: The gateway could not receive a timely response from the website you are trying to access, a DNS server, or another gateway server. This might indicate that the network is congested or that the website is experiencing technical difficulties.
    Date: 8/9/2012 1:14:52 PM"
  • Options
    It's working now.
  • Options
    Goodnight Busty wherever you are!

Priceless.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited August 2012
    I think my kids are now getting as many if not more books each month than I am.

Boom - Adventure Time #9, Marceline & The Scream Queens #4, Bravest Warriors #1, Garfield #6, Peanuts Volume 2 #3, Steed & Mrs. Peel #2

DC - Ame-Comi Girls #1, Earth 2 #5, Worlds' Finest #5, Justice League #13, Masters of the Universe Origin of Skeletor #1, Superman Family Adventures #6, Sword & Sorcery #1

Dynamite - Damsels #2, Pathfinder #3

IDW - Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom #3, Star Trek/Dr. Who #6, Transformers More Than Meets The Eye #10, Transformers Regeneration One #84, Transformers Robots in Disguise #10

Image - Revival #4, Skullkickers Six Shooter on the Seven Seas TPB. The free Cyber Force books were funded through Kickstarter but the stores are paying for those issues to be in their stores and are told to order enough copies so that they can get the variant incentives to sell at a higher price to make up for it. I'll be passing on Cyber Force.

Marvel - Amazing Spider-Man #695 & 696, Avenging Spider-Man #13 & Annual #1, Captain Marvel #5, Deadpool #62 &63, Fantastic Four #611, FF #23, Hawkeye #3, Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-Man #7

Action Lab - Double Jumpers #3

Antarctic Press - How To Draw and Design Steampunk TPB, Victorian Secret Girls of Steampunk Masquerade #1

Still deciding on some stuff: Deathstroke #13 (Zealot!!!), Grifter #13, Darksiders II Death's Door HC, Legend of Oz the Wicked West #1, Joan of Arc From The Ashes #1.

Anybody know if IDW's Magic the Gathering stuff is any good?

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited August 2012
    JUSTICE LEAGUE #13 Tony Daniel Hell NO! When Tony is off JL I will try it again.
    ACTION COMICS #13
    SUPERMAN #13 (I hope the new writer is good)
    ACTION COMICS ANNUAL #1
    BATMAN #13
    DETECTIVE COMICS #13 (Tony Daniel free & the writer of chew hmm okay I will try it)
    BATWOMAN #13
    Kubert book (try it out at least)
    FABLES #122 (last Fables issue moving to trades/Deluxe HCs after this issue)
    FAIREST #8 (last Fairest issue moving to trades after this issue)
    UNCANNY AVENGERS #1 (DCBS low low price to try or wait for tpb)
    FANTASTIC FOUR #611 (Final issue)
    FF #23 (Final Issue)
    DAREDEVIL #19 (this only last to the next arc & then moving to trades only on DD)
    FATALE #10 (last Fatale issue moving to tpbs)
    Getting 2 to 3 tpbs to be determined later

Matthew
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156
    Yea, it is killing me that tiny Daniel is going to be working on justice league.

:(
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156
    Tiny Daniel, lol... Tony Daniel... Ugh to auto correct and me for not catching that.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Much as I like Jamie and Mike, it was really nice to hear some of the other geeks on this episode.
    Me too, It takes the burden off me
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Hate the $3.99 books? Vote with your wallets and don't buy 'em. Marvel is seeing that their top sellers are $3.99 books, and I really don't blame them for the "well, they're giving us this extra money anyway" attitude that has come about as a result of that.

I buy a few of 'em myself, but only if I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Avengers Vs X-Men, for instance, has mostly been epic enough (IMHO) that I'm willing to up-pay a little for it. Those two Avenging Spider-Man issues with the new Carol Danvers Captain Marvel were easy sales for me, too, despite the price tag, because I like Kelly Sue DeConnick's take on the character and I wanted to support that (though I was thankful and happy to see the ongoing CM book was $2.99). And over at IDW, where everything is $3.99, I'm gladly plunking that down for Star Trek: TNG / Doctor Who because I've been waiting most of my life for something like that.

In the end, as ever, buy what you want, and for the price that you want, because you want to, not because you feel you have to. You're only a prisoner to Marvel's pricing demands if you let yourself be one.
  • Options
    I think Marvel has a chance to really improve upon where DC went wrong with their relaunch and really clean up the Marvel Universe.

In my opinion DC didn't have the strongest creative teams with books especially subpar artists. Marvel seems to be pairing their strongest talent and pulling out their all star artist lineup. They have said they hope to have long runs with their teams without fill ins which has really hurt some of the New 52 books, like action comics not having a constant artist. The stories hopefully will be entertaining and not be meh by a year or so, like many of the current 52 titles. I have dropped a lot of the DC books I was reading beacuase they just didn't grab me or still don't grab me.

Marvel can also take this time to shrink down their line of books to make more quality over quantity. I dropped more than a few books due the double shipping every month, I could pick up two issues of one book or three of three different series. Along with points touched in the episode, please don't make these books 3.99 marvel! I will pay for a four dollar book however, just put 40 pages of content in it. I don't want 5 avengers titles and 14 x men books but most likely that won't happen.

Great episode, I always enjoy the previews episodes the most, especially this month because im using dcbservice for my comic ordering.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206

Marvel can also take this time to shrink down their line of books to make more quality over quantity. I dropped more than a few books due the double shipping every month, I could pick up two issues of one book or three of three different series. Along with points touched in the episode, please don't make these books 3.99 marvel! I will pay for a four dollar book however, just put 40 pages of content in it. I don't want 5 avengers titles and 14 x men books but most likely that won't happen.

Great episode, I always enjoy the previews episodes the most, especially this month because im using dcbservice for my comic ordering.

Marvel is relaunching their books...they aren't making a huge corporate shift from their business mentality which seems to be more books, more often at a higher price.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Marvel should take some "risk" and lower their book prices since so much of their output is now appetizers for more of their highly successful movies. Guess they'd still make a nice profit with lower prices. On the other hand - milking the comic geeks works too.... <:-P
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Yea, it is killing me that tiny Daniel is going to be working on justice league.

:(
    "Hold me closer Tiny Daniel", Sir Elton eat your heart out
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Aquaman #13
    Before Watchmen: Comedian #4
    Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan #2
    Before Watchmen: Minutemen #4
    Before Watchmen: Rorschach #2
    Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre #4
    Earth 2 #5
    Executive Assistant Assassins #4
    Flash #13
    Green Lantern # 13
    Green Lantern Corps # 13
    Justice League #13
    Phantom Lady #3
    Wonder Woman #13
    World's Finest #5
    All New Batman Brave & The Bold TPB vol 1
    Cerebus TPB vol 2 High Society
    Fairest TPB vol 1
    Lost Girls HC
    Metal Men Archives Vol 2
    Marvel Master Works Captain American TPB vol 2
    Wonder Woman Chronicles vol 3

Biggest DCBS order I have ever placed. A lot of good trades this month. I saw the DC solicitations for November today and it looks like unless Marvel has a large number of trades I want, the next DCBS order will be extremely small so it makes me feel better about this one.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I laughed out loud when Pants said that his DC pull list was getting very small and then informed the group that he's only getting ... what was it, 20 titles.
  • Options
    Amen, Rebis! When Pants said he was still getting 20 titles, I was also surprised. I'm down to a small handful: Batman, Batman Inc., Batwoman, Demon Knights, Dial H, & Swamp Thing.

Pants, you can't honestly be enjoying all of those books! Break the cycle! If you aren't enjoying it, dump it. Your collection will still be awesome, without some random shit issue of Suicide Squad! Also, now you'll have more money for books you will love!
    Sorry, I'm caffeinated this morning...
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    At this point my DCnU pull list is down to 4: Aquaman, Supergirl, Batman Inc., and Worlds' Finest. And it feels like Johns is starting to really pad out Aquaman lately, so while it's not on the bubble yet, the bubble may be in sight. Interested in giving Swords of Sorcery a shot, but it's gonna have to be really good at $3.99 to get me to buy it regularly.
  • Options
    My order for this month:

DC

Action Comics #13
    All-Star Western #13
    Aquaman #13
    Batman & Robin #13
    Batman Beyond Unlimited #9
    Batman, Inc #5
    Batwing #13
    DC Universe Presents #13
    Dial H #5
    Earth 2 #5
    Flash #13
    Frankenstein, Agent Of SHADE #13
    G I Combat #5
    Green Lantern #13
    Green Lantern Corps #13
    Green Lantern: New Guardians #13
    I, Vampire #13
    Joe Kubert Presents #1
    Justice League #13
    Justice League Dark #13
    Justice League Dark Annual #1
    Legion Lost #13
    Legion Of Super-Heroes #13
    National Comics: Madame X #1
    Phantom Lady #3
    Phantom Stranger #1
    Red Lanterns #13
    Smallville Season 11 #13
    Stormwatch #13
    Superman #13
    Sword Of Sorcery #1
    Team 7 #1
    Worlds' Finest #5

Marvel

Avengers #31, 32
    Avengers Academy #38
    Avengers Assemble #8
    AvX Consequences #1 - 5
    Captain America #18, 19
    Captain America & Black Widow #638
    Daredevil #19
    Dark Avengers #182
    Defenders #11
    FF vol 4 (hc)
    First X-Men #3
    New Avengers #31, 32
    Secret Avengers #32, 33
    Uncanny Avengers #1
    Winter Soldier #12

IDW

Dr Who #2
    Popeye #6
    Star Trek: TNG/Dr Who #6

Papercutz

Geronimo Stilton #11 (hc)

Happy #2

Bongo

The Simpsons #195

There's two hardcovers and a couple of annuals that put me just a bit over my usual budget. But I'll likely be dropping some Marvels when the big change after AvX comes about, and I'm dropping Superman after this month, since the upcoming team of Lobdell and Rocafort not only does not appeal to me but looks to be the weakest on this title thus far.