Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New 52 Blue Devil re-design

I hate F'n DC Comics. Is it better to burn out or fade away? I don't care. Just go. Now, before you ruin more of what was cool about comics.

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    cooler when he was the stuntman stuck in his costume than an actual demon.
  • Options
    looks busy and intense. I am up for a change, good move DC.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    "busy" is not usually what i consider a positive attribute. "intense" im okay with
  • Options
    What's with the bondage outfit?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    For the most part, I'm not too impressed with practically any of the new costumes this past year. They all look busy (which is not a positive attribute) and lack the effective simplicity of the originals. In fact, most of them look like they were redesigned by a bunch of high school fans who were convinced they could 'do it better and cooler than them old farts' who designed the old costumes.

Frankly, I wonder if there isn't some sort of cynical wagering going on somewhere to see who could come up with the most butt-ugliest costume, and everyone who took the wager did so with a vengeance, as if their very lives depended upon coming up with the lamest and most uninspired costumes ever conceived.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Wow that looks like Chap Yaep drew it.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Sigh. I can't even bring myself to care qt this point. DC was my company for 30 years. I'm convinced they're determined to drive me away.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    OOOOOOOH!

Chains!

How edgy!

Looks like a Spawn "action" figure.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Only thing I don't care for is apparently Blue Devil has lost a TON of muscle-mass. He used to be one of the "big guys"...now he kind of looks like "Blue Imp". :)

As to costumes - there've been hits, and misses. I'm actually a fan of the new Wonder Woman threads, for example. I was also glad to see Huntress ditch the stripperware. Power Girl stole Supreme's old threads...not impressed there.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited August 2012
    Wow. That might actually be the worst of the lot.

And considering how much I truly hate some of the new looks (coughcoughSupermancough), that's really saying something.

However, I've only recently discovered the original series, and I'm having fun picking up those as I go, so at least I have those to fall back on.
  • Options
    I think it looks awesome...
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited August 2012

What's with the bondage outfit?

Probably a reference to Iron being used to bind demons.

• Options
    Funny thing is that he looks more like an insectoid alien than a devil or a demon...
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Isn't Black Lightening part of the new book? I thought I would post an image of the new BL. And, you all thought Blue Devil had a busy outfit.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's pretty busy. Maybe it looks better in color. Maybe.

And he sure looks young. Hardly old enough to be a teacher. Maybe he's a student teacher in this revamp.
  • Options
    Y'know... BL's design is fugly, too, but they have done a great job of screwing it up already over the past 20 or so years, so I didn't even bat an eye at it. He was never really one of my favorites. But to see this done to the devil breaks my heart. At least I still have my original run and action figure.
  • Options
    DesertHermitDesertHermit Posts: 80
    edited August 2012
    I picture myself as an editor and having that image of Blue Devil come across my desk:

"Chains?...really?...you put chains hanging off of him? Have you ever even heard of the term "cliché"? And that open chest costume, how did Blue Devil get access to Freddie Mercury's wardrobe? I love Freddie Mercury, but I don't think Blue Devil is going to be singing 'We are the Champions'. Why don't you put a little chest hair in there and he can be the Blue Chippendale. And I'm not sure, we better ask legal, but I'm almost positive Loki has a trademark on those horns. I mean, is he a devil, or does his head double as a sled?"

Silliness aside, It's not a bad look, it just seems like it's a pastiche of 4 or 5 other costume ideas that have already been done to death.
    I agree with what most people have been saying here and in the other thread; Costumes don't have to be designed like a parade float, with activity, variety, and texture over every single square centimeter.
    And I realize we're dealing with comics here, but at some point practicality has to come into play. What possible need could there be for those loops of chain around his knee-caps?
  • Options
    Why do demons wear clothes? It always strike me a funny that they have enough modesty to cover up. :D
  • Options
    And, y'know, the thing that gets me about most of the new designs, is that most of them would be so hard to translate to actual real life costumes. With DC playing catch up to marvel in the movie world, you would think they would have hired Hollywood guys to provide input on some of the designs. Instead, they look like they went back in time and had the Image guys design them. With comics nowadays being more of an Intellectual Property factory, than a real money-making enterprise, it seems so many of these designs go in a really weird direction.