Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Justice League

(http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57495)
As Ron Burgundy can attest, like milk on a hot summer day, this is a bad choice. Okay, it's not bad for JUSTICE LEAGUE, but it would be bad for Ben Affleck, who, frankly, is better than this as a director at this point. Variety is reporting that Warner Brothers wants Affleck to direct their JUSTICE LEAGUE movie, and possibly to star in it as well.

With the Whedon announcement on AVENGERS 2 yesterday, WB must be very antsy indeed to get this franchise off the ground. Reports are that Affleck is the only director that the studio is showing Will Beall's script to right now, and he should be talking with the upper management in the next few days about the project, if the article is accurate.

Here's the thing - I think Affleck's too good for this. As a director, he's made some fantastic movies. His next, ARGO, looks to continue with that streak. As much as I'd like to see a good JUSTICE LEAGUE movie, so far the gritty movies that Affleck has made don't seem to have that kind of vibe.

Honestly? WB should build up and have Ben Affleck direct the Batman reboot. Have Affleck direct a new Batman movie with his own personal stamp, away from Nolan's and build from that. Perhaps something similar to the animated series? Affleck's directorial skills would work in that way, in my opinion. Wait a few years and build the roster up. Sure, Marvel did it already with THE AVENGERS, but they were SMART in doing that - it wasn't a gimmick. People had become familiar with the characters, and more importantly, with the actors playing them. I think it would be smart to do the same with JUSTICE LEAGUE. But, if the script works, Ben Affleck may want to go ahead, and if so, more power to him. He's a terrific director, and he's earned a major franchise like this.

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I would like Affleck as Green Lantern far more the Ryan Reynolds. Hmmm Flash? Wally version? nah, nope GL.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I could see Affleck doing ok with Batman solo but not a JLA movie.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    edited August 2012
    I could see him playing someone alongside Amanda Waller better than being a superhero. /Film reported it here (site comprimised) too.
  • Options
    I am not sure I like it, but Favreau did good with 'Iron Man', so I just figure they know more than me. He's done nothing but good so far as a director. It would be cool if he is in it too...Martian Manhunter in human form?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Affleck as a George Reeves-esque Superman in a New Frontier-style JLA?

Played straight. No camp. No irony.

Too much to ask?
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    WetRats said:

Too much to ask?

From Affleck???...yeah that's too much to ask. ;)
  • Options
    Webhead said:

WetRats said:

Too much to ask?

From Affleck???...yeah that's too much to ask. ;)
    Why?

I don't recall camp or irony in Good Will Hunting.
  • Options
    i don't recall capes in Good Will Hunting, either.
  • Options
    random73 said:

i don't recall capes in Good Will Hunting, either.

So?

You don't have to spend your career writing or directing stories about a particular genre to be able to write or direct a good film in that genre when you get the chance.

Affleck has written good scripts. and he's directed good films. He understands film-making.

Jon Favreau did a pretty good job on his first movie with "capes". So did Joss Whedon.

Why the derision?
  • Options
    sorry none intended i was trying to be funny. i have no beef with Affleck or with you. :D
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    How about him directing a new version of Daredevil?
  • Options
    He would certainly be better than Mark Stephen Johnson. That guy is responsible for jacking up two comic movie franchises!
  • Options
    random73 said:

sorry none intended i was trying to be funny. i have no beef with Affleck or with you. :D

Sorry as well, I'm kind of mystified when certain actors/directors seem to get autohated, and I tend to vault right into the saddle of my high horse and rush to their defense.
  • Options
    Hehehe that's okay. I have the occasional hot button as well.
  • Options
    I'm neither for or against Ben Affleck directing this, I haven't seen enough of his directed work to make up my mind.
    I've seen him act in some good and bad films so I think that it will really depend on the screen writing and cast.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I like Ben Affleck. He's been in good movies and he's directed good movies. However, the movies he's directed have been lower budget more indie movies. I don't think he's really shown that he could do a big budget blockbuster movie like the JLA should and would be.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I like Ben Affleck. He's been in good movies and he's directed good movies. However, the movies he's directed have been lower budget more indie movies. I don't think he's really shown that he could do a big budget blockbuster movie like the JLA should and would be.

Again, neither had Whedon.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Nor had Nolan. Or Favreau. Or Branagh.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited August 2012
    Nor had Ratner. Or Johnson. Or Story. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Actually, Ratner had run an incredibly financially successful movie franchise before coming to the X-Men. From the studio point of view, he was probably considered the safest choice of the names we've been throwing around, where people like Whedon, Nolan, Favreau, Branagh, and now Affleck, are the risks.

Now, I'm not saying that Affleck being a director of a very different tone and style than these sorts of movies is a guarantee of success, because nothing is. Nor am I saying you have to be an outsider to the genre to make it work. Rather, to Wetrats point, the list of people who, on the face of it, seem an odd choice but who succeed wildly past expectations keeps growing.

Put another way- I remember when people were worried that the Lord of the Rings trilogy was being directed by "The Dead Alive Guy". It's always hard to predict what some people are capable of.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.
  • Options

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.

=))
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    So if I want to see an example of what Affleck can do as a director and I've already seen Good Will Hunting, what would you point me to?
  • Options
    KyleMoyer said:

So if I want to see an example of what Affleck can do as a director and I've already seen Good Will Hunting, what would you point me to?

He co-wrote that but didn't direct it.

His best work as a director is Gone Baby Gone. The Town is also very good, but I think 'Gone is that much better (and I think it helps that the lead, his brother Casey, is a better actor than he is, in my opinion).

• Options
    And Argo is coming out in a couple months. Saw the trailer for it at my second viewing of DKR. Had heard he was directing this movie called Argo a few months ago, but didn't know what it was about at all. Now I do, and I saw the trailer, and want to see it so bad. I haven't seen The Town, and possibly not Gone Baby Gone either. Not sure.