Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Favorite Redesigns of the New DC?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    And by the way, that link you sent me too doesnt list a mini skirt as fan service... It does however say thay the leotard (which Supergirl wears now) is

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LeotardOfPower
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Planeis said:

Yea but again... Look, what was under the skirt? Some form of under garment right? What does she have now? Essentially just the under garment. Theres no need now to have poses where her skirt is flyong around in interesting ways because we can already see whats underneith.

And look, with the way the costume is now, if an artist wants to he or she can it even more revealing by just trimming away even more of the costume ever so slightly.

I see it more as a gymnast's outfit than anything else. A leotard with an interesting cut to it that pretty much every artist outside of M. Asrar has a different interpretation on.

• Options
    Tonebone said:

It's kind of funny to think that when Supergirl first showed up in the 50's, she wore a skirt, because that's what young ladies wore. Anything else would have been inappropriate for a girl in a kid's comic book.

Agreed. What we weren't seeing back then was a ton of upskirt shots in those early books. I remember when Gates and Igle took over the book from her last run - the first edict they handed down was there would be no more panty shots. They even put biker shorts on her! :)

• Options
    Torchsong said:

Tonebone said:

It's kind of funny to think that when Supergirl first showed up in the 50's, she wore a skirt, because that's what young ladies wore. Anything else would have been inappropriate for a girl in a kid's comic book.

Agreed. What we weren't seeing back then was a ton of upskirt shots in those early books. I remember when Gates and Igle took over the book from her last run - the first edict they handed down was there would be no more panty shots. They even put biker shorts on her! :)

I guess I am not getting through. You say what she has on now is a gymnasts type outfit. Fine. What she had on before was a gymnasts type outfit.... With the addition of a skirt. Plenty of guys were talking about the females gymnasts and they way they looked in the Olympics. Believe me. If you ask what would be more "revealing" or "sexy" a) a regular gymnasts outfit or b) a gymnasts outfit with a skirt... Im feel certain they would choose a.

But besides that i dont like Supermans. I dont get the armor.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

I guess I am not getting through. You say what she has on now is a gymnasts type outfit. Fine. What she had on before was a gymnasts type outfit.... With the addition of a skirt. Plenty of guys were talking about the females gymnasts and they way they looked in the Olympics. Believe me. If you ask what would be more "revealing" or "sexy" a) a regular gymnasts outfit or b) a gymnasts outfit with a skirt... Im feel certain they would choose a.

I wouldn't. You've never head the maxim "To conceal is to appeal" ?
  • Options
    Also, I gotta ask what Olympics you were watching. I missed the gymnasts doing their floor routines and vaults in a crop-top. Then again, that might have helped NBC's ratings even more. :)
  • Options
    elkinscselkinscs Posts: 40
    Gotta say I'm surprised by all the negativity. I absolutely love Shazam. DC has owned that character for a long time and hasn't really been able to do a lot with him. This new Shazam feels much more modern and I expect big things from him soon. I agree with everyone on WW. Power Girl and Allan Scott are really cool as well. I could take or leave Nightwing (reminds me a little to much of Chris O'Donnel as Robin). Don't care for Supes outside of the t-shirt and jeans version. The only one i hate is Green Arrow. Blatant Smallville rip-off. I really want the old Ollie back.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Planeis said:

I wouldn't. You've never head the maxim "To conceal is to appeal" ?
    Oh... so now the skirt is more concealing? make up your mind. And the Olympics I watched were the ones with the skin tight leotards. Now, maybe Supergirl's and other heroes necklines are much lower... but thats not what we're talking about are we. I hope you still feel this way about the skirt when artists start making her "gymnasts outfit" more and more revealing.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Oh... so now the skirt is more concealing? make up your mind.

Ummm. I did. If you don't understand the concept, I can't help you.
    Planeis said:

And the Olympics I watched were the ones with the skin tight leotards. Now, maybe Supergirl's and other heroes necklines are much lower... but thats not what we're talking about are we.

Didn't see any of the gymnasts baring their midriffs, though. Did you? No. Wouldn't be practical for someone doing that type of routine. Just as a skirt on a flying heroine isn't practical or sensible. Is it beautiful? Yes. Does it allow the artist to show grace in flight? Absolutely. Is it practical? No. There too, having a discussion about the "practicality" of a superhero costume is an exercise in futility. :)
    Planeis said:

I hope you still feel this way about the skirt when artists start making her "gymnasts outfit" more and more revealing.

I'll be waiting...

• Options
    elkinscs said:

Gotta say I'm surprised by all the negativity. I absolutely love Shazam. DC has owned that character for a long time and hasn't really been able to do a lot with him. This new Shazam feels much more modern and I expect big things from him soon. I agree with everyone on WW. Power Girl and Allan Scott are really cool as well. I could take or leave Nightwing (reminds me a little to much of Chris O'Donnel as Robin). Don't care for Supes outside of the t-shirt and jeans version. The only one i hate is Green Arrow. Blatant Smallville rip-off. I really want the old Ollie back.

I'm surprised you're surprised by the negativity. DC has taken the character of Captain Marvel, ditched the name, ditched the personality. Why didn't they just make up a new character?

Here's what gets me... Cap is a popular character despite no one thinks he's been done right since CC Beck, aside from praise for Jeff Smith, Alex Ross, and Jerry Ordway's versions . So, they keep bringing him back, but changing him. This time, he's well nigh unrecognizable, Billy included. So why bother? If the appeal of the character is his 40's humorous, kid friendly roots, why keep making him "edgy", hoping it will stick?

I'm sorry... negative again... I think I'll just go away, now.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Tonebone said:

I'm surprised you're surprised by the negativity. DC has taken the character of Captain Marvel, ditched the name, ditched the personality. Why didn't they just make up a new character?

Here's what gets me... Cap is a popular character despite no one thinks he's been done right since CC Beck, aside from praise for Jeff Smith, Alex Ross, and Jerry Ordway's versions . So, they keep bringing him back, but changing him. This time, he's well nigh unrecognizable, Billy included. So why bother? If the appeal of the character is his 40's humorous, kid friendly roots, why keep making him "edgy", hoping it will stick?

I'm sorry... negative again... I think I'll just go away, now.

IMO, the appeal of cap is not the kid-friendly golden age nostalgia, it's the mystical origin and the fact that you're really looking at the only other character that can truly rival supes. When they do the campy version, I can't take him seriously enough to think he is that powerful. I actually love the characterization of the new Billy. His character is really compelling now, especially with the foster family as a supporting cast. On top of that, the way he looks and the fact that Johns & Frank are playing more of the magical elements of the character make him more distinct from Superman and therefore more interesting. As far as changing the name, let's be honest, Captain Marvel was really campy and confusing for less knowledgeable fans from a branding perspective. Besides, a good portion of people called him Shazam anyways. I think this version of the character will retain enough nostalgia with the red suit, golden thunderbolt and references to wizards and the like to make the character feel steeped in tradition while allowing him to become more modern and carry his own title. We've seen these transformations with every character, the difference is that it happened over decades and we didn't notice it because the characters were being published consistently. Evolution is much less startling than metamorphosis.

• Options
    elkinscs said:

IMO, the appeal of cap is not the kid-friendly golden age nostalgia, it's the mystical origin and the fact that you're really looking at the only other character that can truly rival supes. When they do the campy version, I can't take him seriously enough to think he is that powerful. I actually love the characterization of the new Billy. His character is really compelling now, especially with the foster family as a supporting cast. On top of that, the way he looks and the fact that Johns & Frank are playing more of the magical elements of the character make him more distinct from Superman and therefore more interesting. As far as changing the name, let's be honest, Captain Marvel was really campy and confusing for less knowledgeable fans from a branding perspective. Besides, a good portion of people called him Shazam anyways. I think this version of the character will retain enough nostalgia with the red suit, golden thunderbolt and references to wizards and the like to make the character feel steeped in tradition while allowing him to become more modern and carry his own title. We've seen these transformations with every character, the difference is that it happened over decades and we didn't notice it because the characters were being published consistently. Evolution is much less startling than metamorphosis.

This was a very well-reasoned and compelling argument. What are you doing on the internet?! :)

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

This was a very well-reasoned and compelling argument. What are you doing on the internet?! :)

=))
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    edited August 2012
    Being one of those who dropped DC altogether prior to the New 52, I really have no horse in this race. I am also one of those who was royally pissed when they changed Wonder Woman's costume before the New 52. That being said, I don't find this latest version entirely offensive. I still prefer the classic look, but this would have been good for Donna Troy when she filled in for Diana, or for Wonder Girl.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

lol. Just doing my part.