Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Recommend me some Kubert

I've long appreciated Joe Kubert's work, and think he was well-deserving of his reputation, and would even go so far as to say that he doesn't get enough attention when discussions of the All Time Greats pop up. That being said, I don't know how much of his stuff I've really seen over the years... he was someone whose body of work I always meant to get around to exploring further but never got around to it, which his death a few days ago sadly reminded me.

So... what should I be looking at? Sgt. Rock is probably a given, but there's so much out there that specific recommendations would be appreciated. I want to give his Tarzan work a shot, too, because I had an issue of that as a kid that I remember liking, even though I never got around to searching out any more.

Recommend away!

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I love his stint on Unknown Soldier. And his Hawkman run. Also Enemy Ace is another good run. His Tarzan work is really good.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    He did a bunch of strips for Tzivos Hashem and the Moshiach Times magazine that were called theThe Adventures of Yaakov and Isaac. I have it and while the art is incredible to look at, I really enjoy the stories that are within.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    The recent Tor mini-series has been collected by DC. It's a bit Tarzan-in-the-prehistoric-age if that's your thing.
  • Options
    Marathon said:

The recent Tor mini-series has been collected by DC. It's a bit Tarzan-in-the-prehistoric-age if that's your thing.

All of his Tor stuff is really good.

• Options
    For that matter, if you can find the hardcover collections (2 volumes) of the original Tor stories that Kubert did for the 3D comics of the fifties -- they're reprinted here without the 3D -- you'll get extra bonuses of pencilled pages and one of the stories in the original 3D. (You'll need to supply your own 3D glasses.) These were published by DC a few years ago as part of the Joe Kubert Library.

Additionally, his graphic novel, Fax From Sarajevo, true story about trying to get a fellow cartoonist and his family out of war-torn Sarajevo in the 90's, is worth seeking out.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Fax from Sarajevo—A tour de force.
    Enemy Ace—there are two archives that collect all his stories. Get them. You will not be disappointed.
    Silver Age Hawkman—I don't think any of his Golden Age “Hawkman” work is available, but his SA material from Brave & the Bold is top-notch.
    Tarzan—Dark Horse has archives available. You can find the back issues without too much trouble too, and they’re not outrageously expensive.
    Tex—An Italian album, but someone printed a translated version here in the States. Beautiful stuff.
    Firehair—A back-up series in Jonah Hex, Showcase, and Tomahawk. Good stuff if you can find it.
    Viking Prince—DC collected it recently, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find.
    Unknown Soldier—He only drew the first few issues, but they’re very good, and they’re available in a Showcase collection.
    Ragman—The original five-issue series isn’t too hard to find.
    Haunted Tank—Back-up series in G.I. Combat. Not collected but easy to find fairly cheap issues.
  • Options
    I am currently reading Yossel, April 19, 1943 which is sort of an imaginary tale of his life, if his parents had not gotten him out of Nazi controlled Poland when he was an infant. It is all reproduced from his pencils and is stunning. If you love beautiful comics art, you can't go wrong with ANYTHING he has done at any period of his prolific life.
  • Options
    I have found that I prefer his work when it is reprinted in b/w. The Showcase volumes of Sgt Rock look amazing.
  • Options

Haunted Tank—Back-up series in G.I. Combat. Not collected but easy to find fairly cheap issues.

There is 2 volumes of Showcase presents Haunted Tank. But it looks like only the first volume has Kubert artwork in it.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    dubbat138 said:

There is 2 volumes of Showcase presents Haunted Tank. But it looks like only the first volume has Kubert artwork in it.

Totally missed that one. Yeah, Kubert did 15 or so stories early on in the series.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Found the first issue of his Tarzan run at my LCS this week, and liked it enough to order the next few for cheap via MyComicShop.com. Thought about getting the oversized tabloid edition (which my LCS also had), but the issues have extra content (Murphy Anderson and Gray Morrow on John Carter, for instance), and if I wanted to go on in the series I'd probably end up getting the issues anyway (esp. since only the first volume of the Dark Horse archive set is still available... the others are currently out of print).

May still go back for that tabloid just for the oversized art at some point, but for now, I'm happy with the issues.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    His recent Vietnam OGN from DC - Dong Xoai - was incredibly gorgeous. Again, I believe it was printed straight from his pencils with occasional whiteout used to enhance the imagery. The story was good, though it seemed slightly white-washed to me, but otherwise, it was a wonderful book.

chris
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited August 2012
    Tonebone said:

I am currently reading Yossel, April 19, 1943 which is sort of an imaginary tale of his life, if his parents had not gotten him out of Nazi controlled Poland when he was an infant. It is all reproduced from his pencils and is stunning. If you love beautiful comics art, you can't go wrong with ANYTHING he has done at any period of his prolific life.

Totally agree - Yossel was a really well done book. Emphasizing all the more what a loss his passing is.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    If you like the Punisher, Kubert drew a six-part story for The Punisher War Machine (#'s 31 - 36) during the 90's. Don't know if it was ever collected, but it's worth diving through the back issue bins for. (I say that, and I'm not even a Punisher fan!)