Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Blue Falcon & Dynomutt Return!!

FYI:

If you're not watching the 2nd season of Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc you're missing perhaps the best version of the classic cartoon sleuths. Well, today's episode "The Heart of Evil" featured guest appearances from Blue Falcon & Dynomutt!! Even better - the duo finally get an origin (including appearances from Race Bannon & Dr. Quest).

Any folks out there remember Saturday morning cartoons? I used to get excited when they would have the primetime previews for the upcoming season. Hey, CGS crew: I'd love to hear you have some cartoon talk (past & present) again.

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Saturday morning cartoons are on life support. As a kid I would have trouble getting up during the week at 7am for school. But 5am Saturday morning I would be up and ready for cartoons. Kids now got 3 or 4 channels that show cartoons 24/7. Which is the main reason Saturday morning cartoons are dying.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I watched it tonight too. Not sure about this Frank Miller-esque version of Blue Falcon, but it was a fun episode overall. I saw most of the first season, and it was pretty good. Best animation since the original series, and I like the new designs. The second season is shaping up nicely.

As for the primetime preview shows, I have two words: Billy Barty!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Got behind way back when CN decided to postpone the second half of the first season FOREVER and never got around to catching up, and now we've gotten rid of cable. Keep hoping for full season DVDs, but I don't think they've happened yet. I'll have to catch up via YouTube or Amazon or something in the meantime.

I really hate how CN treats their own programming. "Hey, we've got this show. We're going to make it REALLY hard for you to watch it, most likely by burying it in the schedule, not showing it for months at a time, and almost never rerunning episodes, but, you know, it's a show."
  • Options

Got behind way back when CN decided to postpone the second half of the first season FOREVER and never got around to catching up, and now we've gotten rid of cable. Keep hoping for full season DVDs, but I don't think they've happened yet. I'll have to catch up via YouTube or Amazon or something in the meantime.

I really hate how CN treats their own programming. "Hey, we've got this show. We're going to make it REALLY hard for you to watch it, most likely by burying it in the schedule, not showing it for months at a time, and almost never rerunning episodes, but, you know, it's a show."

Seems like everytime I turn the tv to CN it is Johnny Test,Adventure time or Gumball. All of which I don't like.

• Options
    The second season has started? *sigh* F'n DVR.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited August 2012
    Dang. I don't understand with all the time is lots to fill they can't repeat it a couple of times. Why still use such an outdated programming model? "Better watch it now or set your VCR!"

Drove me crazy with Batman Brave and the Bold.
  • Options

Dang. I don't understand with all the time is lots to fill they can't repeat it a couple of times. Why still use such an outdated programming model? "Better watch it now or set your VCR!"

Drove me crazy with Batman Brave and the Bold.

It seems like CN is programmed by a bunch of drunk chimps.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I don't know how CN does it overseas - but I love their marathon nights. Just recently they did a whole season (maybe it was 2) of Adventure Time in one setting. Sure did record the whole thing B-)
  • Options

I don't know how CN does it overseas - but I love their marathon nights. Just recently they did a whole season (maybe it was 2) of Adventure Time in one setting. Sure did record the whole thing B-)

They have them sometimes over here. I really haven't paid much attention to CN in a few years now. Mostly cause the shows they have on are stuff I don't watch.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I remember Saturday morning cartoons in the 90's.

Spider-Man, X-Men, Batman, Batman Beyond, Superman, X-Men Evolution...

Great times.
  • Options
    To me nothing will top the late 70's/early 80s Saturday morning cartoons. Superfriends,Filmation's Batman,Tarzan,Flash Gordon and Zorro cartoons and of course Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

To me nothing will top the late 70's/early 80s Saturday morning cartoons. Superfriends,Filmation's Batman,Tarzan,Flash Gordon and Zorro cartoons and of course Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

Right there with ya. I LOVED all of those shows! Filmation also added the Lone Ranger at one point.

I have the box set of Flash Gordon, but can't find the NBC movie they did where they fight the Nazis.

• Options
    The show made it to season 2? When the hell did it start and when is it on? Must. watch. eps.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    @dubbat138, @Tonebone: You guys might be interested in a book I edited last month—Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation, due out in late October. It's a bio of Lou and a history of Filmation, because you can't tell one without the other.
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    I loved when Space Ghost showed up on Batman: Brave and the Bold. It would have been kickass if Batman and Ace teamed up with Blue Falcon and Dynomutt for an opening tease.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Tonebone said:

dubbat138 said:

Right there with ya. I LOVED all of those shows! Filmation also added the Lone Ranger at one point.

I have the box set of Flash Gordon, but can't find the NBC movie they did where they fight the Nazis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAJ1wE0vvno

I believe that all of the parts are up on Youtube.
  • Options

@dubbat138, @Tonebone: You guys might be interested in a book I edited last month—Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation, due out in late October. It's a bio of Lou and a history of Filmation, because you can't tell one without the other.

Nice I loved Filmation as a kid.

• Options
    Tonebone said:

dubbat138 said:

Oh man that Lone Ranger cartoon was great also. So far thanks to BCI and now Mill Creek lots of the Filmation Saturday morning stuff is out. Does anyone out there remember Blackstarr? It was a prototype for Masters of the Universe cartoon.
  • Options

Consider it bought!
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Tonebone said:

dubbat138 said:

Oh man that Lone Ranger cartoon was great also. So far thanks to BCI and now Mill Creek lots of the Filmation Saturday morning stuff is out. Does anyone out there remember Blackstarr? It was a prototype for Masters of the Universe cartoon.
    One of my favorite things about the Filmation stuff was when I could recognize the "stock" rotoscoped footage, for instance, when the main character would run toward the camera and off-screen. EVERY Filmation character had the exact stock animation, rotoscoped from the same live action source.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    dubbat138 said:

Preach on brother!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    .... I miss the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest.
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    Nothing beats the original Jonny Quest. Super Friends, New Adventures of Batman, Tarzan and the Super 7, Thundarr, Space Ghost, Herculoids, The Lone Ranger, Zorro, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, The Incredible Hulk, Blackstar, Space Sentinels. I am so glad I was a kid in the '70s/'80s.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

dubbat138 said:

Tonebone said:

dubbat138 said:

One of my favorite things about the Filmation stuff was when I could recognize the "stock" rotoscoped footage, for instance, when the main character would run toward the camera and off-screen. EVERY Filmation character had the exact stock animation, rotoscoped from the same live action source.
    Yep,Filmation cut lots of corners. But still had some great cartoons.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2012
    dubbat138 said:

Tonebone said:

dubbat138 said:

Tonebone said:

dubbat138 said:

Yep,Filmation cut lots of corners. But still had some great cartoons.

Oh, don't get me wrong... I even loved it when the corners were cut!
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    I'm going to have to disagree with everyone..... :D

1967 was the greatest year for saturday morning cartoons. The quality of story-telling and animation was at its peak. And it was strong over all three networks.

Just check out the schedule. And yeah.... I'm that old. :))

tvparty.com/sat67.html
  • Options
    phansford said:

I'm going to have to disagree with everyone..... :D

1967 was the greatest year for saturday morning cartoons. The quality of story-telling and animation was at its peak. And it was strong over all three networks.

Just check out the schedule. And yeah.... I'm that old. :))

tvparty.com/sat67.html

That is a great line up. But since I wasn't born till summer of 74 I didn't get to experience it.
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    That is a great line up. But since I wasn't born till summer of 74 I didn't get to experience it.

:)) Yeah - your loss.

All joking aside, Its really an issue of what you define as "your" Golden Age. Just as in comics.... there is the "Golden Age", but since none of us really lived then, we start to define golden ages differently. I think the golden age of Batman was the introduction of Pre-Crisis Jason Todd to Crisis. (I was in grad school). And Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans.

I think there was a second golden age of "Saturday" morning cartoons for me. Probably mid-1990's. The introduction of the WB's Superman and Batman Adventures, Dexter, Johnny Bravo, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug. Those were pretty well written and animated. Its also when I was watching cartoons again with my two sons. ;)