Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Toy Hunter show debuts on The Travel Channel

Just watched the first two episodes tonight via DVR. The show debuted Wednesday and its about a guy named Jordan who goes around the country and finds rare toys to sell. The show mainly focuses on toys from the 70's and 80's so its in my wheelhouse. In fact when someone has a Howdy Doody to sell he tells them its not in his clients age range which makes sense.

The guy is pretty cool and comes off as a real lover of toys. He has to make a profit of course but he really geeks out on a lot of the finds like I was. He's a dealer and has to pay dealer prices.

The highlights for me were the Star Wars bike (I would not pay what that one guy paid to give to his kid. Mr. Glass came to mind when that happened!) And the Transformers trivia was real interesting. Did not know that Go-bots were in the US first before Transformers but first does not mean best.

One suggestion would be to show more of his assistant Julia. And that dude in Jersey needs to find a more secured storage facility rather than his backyard shed.

Anyone else catch it? It repeats this Saturday afternoon. Check your listings for exact time.

Comments

• Options
    I don't have cable, but this sounds right up my alley. May have to check it out via alternative routes.

*just a little more trivia. In Japan, the Machine Robo line (what Gobots were here) was well respected, and many collectors just don't understand the US' derision. It was just one of those things that happen...less expensive got attached to "cheap" and made fun of. Kinda like shopping at K-Mart in 1985 was the stigmata of "poor people" even though everyone did it (ala Walmart today.)

Also, their cartoon sucked ass, which certainly didn't help the toy line one single bit. I still remember some Gobot toys quite fondly though ;)
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited August 2012
    In a future episode Super Ugly of The Geek Savants will be showing up. He talked about some of the behind the scenes stuff of the show on an episode of TGS a few months back.

Just set my DVD recorder to record the new episodes.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the special they did previously (basically, a one hour test pilot), and the two episodes this past week were pretty good.

I like hearing the history of these toys, even if it is something I'm pretty familiar with already.

I'm just afraid it will become a little too predictable, as in very "scripted." These types of shows tend to do that, and once it seems a little too fake, I lose interest.

For the moment, though, I'll keep tuning in.
  • Options
    watched the pilot via the internet... dig the concept, can't say I'm a fan of the host.

I can totally see the concern of scripting. This has the very same feel that makes Storage Wars ultimately unsavory. I get that producers don't think anyone will tune into a show that doesn't find "the wow item", but then again, people love the antique roadshow and that's a genuine crap shoot.

I'm certainly not rushing out and getting cable to follow the show, but if I catch it out in the wild, I wouldn't turn it off ;)

*the statement that MASK was the precursor to Transformers doesn't help matters
  • Options
    caught the first episode...definitely more palatable than the pilot. More genuine--except for the lame "calling in to homebase" bits that are just ridiculous.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    The calling the hot-ish person back at the office who's "doing inventory" story device is used up.. Pickers does it, so it seems derivative here. They need to find a different way to introduce home visit setups...

I like the fact that the "picks" seem to be flipped/sold on screen more frequently than in other shows (where someone gives a value, and thats it...) The transformer guy haggling about Rodimus Prime find (or whatever its called) was a nice extra element.

Would be interesting to integrate some flea-market picking and some toy-show picking in with the "following a lead" to someones house/storage unit to go thru their stuff and pick. Cause this guy cant really do "freestyling" like the other pickers, and most storage units dont have toys (though I guess if he gets a lead he could bid on and process a storage unit).

Im watching, and enjoying his stories about the toys that he finds...
  • Options
    cant say I knew about those Bakshi LoTR toys...and it's probably not a good thing that I do now ;)
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030

The calling the hot-ish person back at the office who's "doing inventory" story device is used up.. Pickers does it, so it seems derivative here. They need to find a different way to introduce home visit setups...

I like the fact that the "picks" seem to be flipped/sold on screen more frequently than in other shows (where someone gives a value, and thats it...) The transformer guy haggling about Rodimus Prime find (or whatever its called) was a nice extra element.

Would be interesting to integrate some flea-market picking and some toy-show picking in with the "following a lead" to someones house/storage unit to go thru their stuff and pick. Cause this guy cant really do "freestyling" like the other pickers, and most storage units dont have toys (though I guess if he gets a lead he could bid on and process a storage unit).

Im watching, and enjoying his stories about the toys that he finds...

The flipping thing in Storage Wars is what I find unreal most times. They say that got $3000 of stuff they can sell but the show says they have revenue but it's really inventory that will be sold potential for less than they estimated.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited August 2012
    dubbat138 said:

In a future episode Super Ugly of The Geek Savants will be showing up. He talked about some of the behind the scenes stuff of the show on an episode of TGS a few months back.

Yeah - that was a great episode. Especially the stuff about how unreal reality-TV actually is.

I wonder if they added some toys to all the places to pimp it up a bit - and if the main guy bought more toys from the featured collections.

Would love to see the Super Ugly episode.

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    I saw these first two and the pilot they had before when he was at Comic Con and sold a Boba Fet prototype toy, I did enjoy the show but I agree the host is a little annoying, I will now have to keep watching if Super Ugly will be on, always nice to see friends on TV.
  • Options
    Just watched the new episode. And in the commercial break they showed part of next weeks episode. Which has Super Ugly on it. Weird thing is the host is suppose to be a comic fan but kept calling Darkseid "DarkSeed" not Darkside.
  • Options
    Last Wednesday the episode with Super Ugly of the Geek Savants aired. For yall that didn't see it I uploaded his segment to youtube.

http://youtu.be/mHKeAT7SqYg
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Last Wednesday the episode with Super Ugly of the Geek Savants aired. For yall that didn't see it I uploaded his segment to youtube.

http://youtu.be/mHKeAT7SqYg

That was cool seeing Super Ugly and I am not the biggest DC fan but I thought it was DarkSIDE. I was going to ask someone. Thanks. I guess that's why he's the Toy Hunter and not the Comic Hunter :)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    dubbat138 said:

the host is suppose to be a comic fan but kept calling Darkseid "DarkSeed" not Darkside.

Mike calls him that on CGS episodes. Also, according Mike, Thanos is "Thaynos."

Not a big deal but it does stick out when you hear it.
  • Options
    ^Didn't we have a thread on the old forum about pronouncing characters' names like Magneto and Mxyzptlk, or am I mistaken?
  • Options
    For me, Mxyzptlk will always be "Mix ul plik," thanks to the cartoons of my youth, despite the fact that "Mix pit ul ik" is probably closer to correct.

And, I used to pronounce Mego "Meh go" instead of "Mee go," but I have since corrected myself.

Listening to the Toy Hunter calling Darkseid "Darkseed," though, was a new one on me, and irritating beyond belief.
  • Options
    I still say "THAY nos". Oh well.