Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Just wanted to share my awesome comic story from last week

Last week a friend of mine invited me over to her house to look through a 50lbs luggage full of old comics (they were literally all stuffed in a luggage). She wanted me to see if they were worth anything and to help her sort/sell them. The comics were given to her by a guy she knew who didn't want them anymore. At first, I wasn't expecting much. Figuring they were probably comics from the 90s or something like that. But when I unzipped the luggage, I was surprised to find that they were all Silver Age books and suddenly I felt like a Indiana Jones coming across what could possibly be a Holy Grail.

Long story short, 3 hours later and a lot of fun, there was no Holy Grail, and it was 90% DC mixed in with Dell, Harvey, Classic Illustrated and a lot of Sgt Fury. The best find for me personally was probably a Green Lantern #3 and Justice League #5.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    It truly must have been awesome going through that luggage - thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Man, that is awesome! I don't think I could even sleep after such an unexpected find.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    That is so cool! I would have had a blast going through all those comics! :)
  • Options
    That is fantastic! I still hope to come across another one or two of those before my time expires!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    That's great. It is like an ultimate bin dive.
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    Long story short, 3 hours later and a lot of fun, there was no Holy Grail, and it was 90% DC mixed in with Dell, Harvey, Classic Illustrated and a lot of Sgt Fury. The best find for me personally was probably a Green Lantern #3 and Justice League #5.
    Great find.... Maybe no "Holy Grail", but there seems to be an abundance of early Silver Age DC in the trunk. Which honestly.... early Silver DC in high grade is pretty Holy Grail as they just don't exist in great quantities. Just looking at Mystery in Space #63 and Jimmy Olsen #89, they seem to be in pretty good condition.

When I found these kind of collections, my definition of "Holy Grail" would change. GL #3 is pretty close to being "Holy Grail". Even in Good that book is $45. VG its $90. Plus - there is a high chance of there being key issues in the collection.
  • Options
    It's funny... but their monetary value didn't even occur to me... I would just love to plow through all of those old comics... I only have a handful of silver age issues, and they are like a time machine to me. Have fun with them!
  • Options
    Yea, when I said "Holy Grail" I pretty much meant an Action Comic #1 or something like. There was no million dollar comic for my friend to retire from, but it was a lot of fun sorting through them all. I never thought I'd ever get a chance like this so it felt like a once in a lifetime thing for me. The only time I had ever seen/held a 10c comic was at a convention and that was through a plastic protective case...

Most of the books themselves were in good to poor condition and most if not all of the books were from 1961 to 1968 I think. There were probably about 150+ books.
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    Its a great find. She could bundle them into runs and sell them fairly easily.

I guess I'm showing my age. :)) but there was a time when these books were everywhere and no one wanted them.