Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trade-Waiting For Godot

OK. I have made the transition I once railed against.

I have become one of them--a Trade-Waiter.

There are still a few books I pick up in the monthlies to make sure they continue, but they pile up unread. I'm over a year behind on Silver Surfer and Astro City (both of which I love).

But I'm reading trades. I like the format better. I really do.

I know I'll get big revelations and plot twists spoiled sometimes, but considering how hard it is to really surprise me after 40+ years of reading comics, I don't really care.

I'd like to use this thread as a place to discuss the things I'm reading behind the curve.

Fellow TWs, please join in.

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    First up is my most recently-completed read, Power Man and Iron Fist.

Holy Cats.

Talk about Pure Comic-y Goodness™.

I love the tone. I love the art. I love the unapologetic silliness.

More please.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited October 2016
    I just ordered Power Man & Iron Fist yesterday on instocktrades. Looking forward to it.

I just finished Sandman Mystery Theatre vol 1 containing the first 12 issues. It was great.

Right now I am reading the first volume of the IDW Dick Tracy archives.
  • Options

I just finished Sandman Mystery Theatre vol 1 containing the firat 12 issues. It was great.

One of my all-time favorites.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Hahaha welcome to the dark side.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I just finished Sandman Mystery Theatre vol 1 containing the first 12 issues. It was great.

Yeah, I read that last month and enjoyed it a lot. The story with father who is a boxer and his daughter was brutal and hard to get through but still well done. I have vol 2 on pre-order.

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Heh. For a minute there I thought there was an actual comic book adaptation of Becketts play. How would that look, I wonder?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    As a long time trade-waiter...welcome to the fold. :)

I'll still pick up one or two issues of a new series just to see if I'm interested in picking up the trade when it comes out. And then there's things like Supergirl where if she's in it, I'm picking it up.

What I'm really loving as far as DC trades go these days is the repackaging of the series I enjoyed from the 80s and 90s. Mike Grell's Green Arrow run, Infantino's (AND David's) Supergirl runs, etc.

About the only issue I have these days with trade-waiting is I have limited space on the bookshelf, money that needs to go to other things (when did I *ever* give a crap about getting new cabinets in the kitchen?!? :) ), and the onset of old-age where I just don't want as much clutter. A book has to work three times as hard for me to consider getting it these days.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

About the only issue I have these days with trade-waiting is I have limited space on the bookshelf, money that needs to go to other things (when did I *ever* give a crap about getting new cabinets in the kitchen?!? :) ), and the onset of old-age where I just don't want as much clutter. A book has to work three times as hard for me to consider getting it these days.

I have become a pretty hard sell as well. I really don't care about line-wide continuity anymore. I want good, self-contained stories.

Ms. Marvel is one of my favorites, and I have read it exclusively in trades.

I started reading Spider-Man again with the Superior storyline, and have continued to really enjoy what Slott is doing. (I consider Renew Your Vows one of the best Spider-Man stories in years.)

Greg Rucka's Lazarus is another series I follow strictly in trade, and almost gave in to the temptation of floppy purchase now that I'm caught up, but then I saw my teetering "to-read" stack and regained perspective.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Greg Rucka's Lazarus is another series I follow strictly in trade, and almost gave in to the temptation of floppy purchase now that I'm caught up, but then I saw my teetering "to-read" stack and regained perspective.

Rucka is wise to us, though. In the single-issues of Lazarus there's a wealth of bonus material at the end of each that does not make it to the trades. And not just pin-up art or the like - actual facts and histories. Whether or not this material will show up when they do the eventual "Absolute Essential Omnibus" of Lazarus, I can't say...but I like to imagine this is a slight jab at us trade waiters by Greg and co.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

Rucka is wise to us, though. In the single-issues of Lazarus there's a wealth of bonus material at the end of each that does not make it to the trades. And not just pin-up art or the like - actual facts and histories. Whether or not this material will show up when they do the eventual "Absolute Essential Omnibus" of Lazarus, I can't say...but I like to imagine this is a slight jab at us trade waiters by Greg and co.
    I see it as a reward for single-issue purchase, and am sorely-tempted to bin-dive. The world-building in the book is spectacular.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

From the hardcover solicits, there appears to be some kind of world building content included (which is not included in the TPBs). I'm not sure if exclusive content means entirely new, or exclusive to this particular collected format.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Is the Lazarus Sourcebook one-shot going to get traded? I read Lazarus in trade, but I bought that issue just in case.
  • Options

Is the Lazarus Sourcebook one-shot going to get traded? I read Lazarus in trade, but I bought that issue just in case.

There has been some talk (on Word Balloon maybe?) about an eventual collection of the extra material.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

I could see this going two ways:

1 - one sourcebook per volume of the aforementioned Absolute Essential Omnibus.

2 - a specific collection for sourcebooks. Hock is coming.

Either way, even if the hardcover collections are including all of back matter from the floppies, the responses to the letters are well worth the price of the floppies. I probably spend almost as much time on those 3-4 pages as I do on the rest of the book. Also, the in-story ads on the back covers are equally entertaining.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    WetRats said:

There has been some talk (on Word Balloon maybe?) about an eventual collection of the extra material.
    Sex Criminals (another one I read in trade) has done that as well.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Sex Criminals (another one I read in trade) has done that as well.
    Despite having all the issues in the Leaning Tower of Floppies, I'm probably gonna break down and get the trades, just so I'll actually read it. The first issue was fantastic.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    kiwijase said:

Heh. For a minute there I thought there was an actual comic book adaptation of Becketts play. How would that look, I wonder?

I imagine it would be like the first 7 issues of an 8 issue Brian Michael Bendis event. FOREVER.
  • Options
    Sex Criminals is awesome. One of the best books out there.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Trade-waiting can be a challenge sometimes. If you hear good things, it's hard to resist getting that first paperback, but if you wait a bit longer, you might get a hard back, or a compendium, or an omnibus, or an ultimate edition with extra material.

I'm trade waiting the new Vision series, but didn't want to get the 1-6 volume one because I knew the run would be limited once Tom King went exclusive to DC. So I avoid spoilers, knowing it will eventually be collected as one HC (or at least one trade).

But I am a trade-waiter as well. I have a short to medium list of runs I'm waiting on in a note on my iPhone.
  • Options

Trade-waiting can be a challenge sometimes. If you hear good things, it's hard to resist getting that first paperback, but if you wait a bit longer, you might get a hard back, or a compendium, or an omnibus, or an ultimate edition with extra material.

I'm trade waiting the new Vision series, but didn't want to get the 1-6 volume one because I knew the run would be limited once Tom King went exclusive to DC. So I avoid spoilers, knowing it will eventually be collected as one HC (or at least one trade).

But I am a trade-waiter as well. I have a short to medium list of runs I'm waiting on in a note on my iPhone.

I thought Vision was just six issues. Big old cliffhanger.

I'm still not going digital with my comics. As long as my fantastic LCS stays in business, they will have my loyalty.
  • Options
    The final two series I collected and read in monthly floppies were Lantern City and Dream Police. Now that both series are complete, my pull list at my local LCS is collecting cobwebs.

I'm of two minds when it comes to trade-waiting. On the one hand, because the only titles I read anymore are non-Big Two, I feel guilty not supporting the books I feel really need the help. On the other hand, indies and smaller press books tend to have more inconsistent release schedules and there are so many I find interesting, so I'd rather have the option to buy and read them when it suits me rather than overwhelming myself financially and having to endure delays in shipping anyway.

I prefer to avoid purchasing online if I can, so in the end I simply make my rounds to various comic shop cheap bins, flea markets, thrift stores and book store discount racks to buy whatever trades are available.

After all, with a little bit of patience I can avoid spending $3.99 an issue and instead spend $5 or less on a used or discounted trade.
  • Options
    Does anyone still care about trade dress? Does it bother you if your entire run of a series looks different on the shelf?

This used to be a mild issue with me. Now though with how much is released (and rereleased)It seems ridiculous to give it any concern. I was looking at my Avengers collections and there are Omnibus, Masterworks, essentials, epic, and just regular hardcovers and trades. No consistency at all.
  • Options

Does anyone still care about trade dress? Does it bother you if your entire run of a series looks different on the shelf?

Nah, not really. Maybe with Vertigo, but not the rest. Most of my Essentials are different, Marvel simply switched design on the Thor Simonson Visionaries from Vol. 1 to Vol. 2, and for the old stuff, it really doesn't matter.
  • Options
    I've been going almost trade exclusively for years now. In fact, I was pretty miffed for having bought stuff in floppies, like Agents of Atlas and the two Annihilation, that I should've waited for the trades. There's just no point in collecting all those little magazines, I never pick them up to read them again, and they're a pain to store.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Here are the trades from the March 2017 solicits that interest me from the Big 2

DC:

Batman Legacy
    Mark Waid's Flash vol 2
    Justice League: Breakdowns
    Legionnaries
    Who is Wonder Woman
    Young Justice vol 1 (Peter David)

Superman: Man of Twomorrow (first Triangle stories). Not sure why is this a hardcover when everyother post COIE, pre Infinite Crisis Superman edition has been in paperback with the exception of the Death & Return of Superman Omnibus.

The Silver Age Doom Patrol Omnibus - with a DCBS discount, this is a steal. I do have concerns though. Does this era of Doom Patrol have enough interest for this book to get enough pre orders to avoid cancellations? I know that material has already been released before in the Archives so maybe the financial risks are not as great to DC. Also, with this being 1000 pages, if DC goes cheap with production, this could be an unweldy gutter loss mess.

Marvel:

Black Widow vol 2
    Steve Rogers Capt America vol 2
    Capt America Secret Empire

There are Epic Collections for early Avengers, X Men, and Capt America. I already have the material for these in other collected editions.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    What is still not collected in trade that you want to see published? For me:

Avengers #200: This is the wacky Ms. Marvel story that will probably only bring negative publicity if published. I doubt it will see the light of day anytime soon. It may be in a black & essential. Not sure. The Avengers Marvel Master works series will be up to issue #177 this summer.

Batman #400: My guess the reason that this has not been published in trade is that it is a royalty issue since so many people worked on the issue. I remember getting this issue as a kid and loving it.

All Star Squadron: They released a black and white showcase volume and a couple cross over issues in a infinity inc collection but no effort to release the series on its own in color. Suprising since DC has published/is publishing other JSA stuff. The America vs the JSA miniseries was released and the Last Days of the JSA is solicited. That is about as far out of continuity as you can get now.

Bronze Age Wonder Woman: After the end of the Twelve Labors trade (issue #222 in 1976) none of the series is collected until the Post Crisis Perez reboot. That is about 10 years and 107 issues in a void.

Amazing Spiderman #283-288: #283 ties into the Avengers Under Seige Storyline and #284-288 is the Gang War story. I have no idea why these are not collected. Marvel has published Amazing Spider Man editions all around these issues multiple times.

Legion 5 Years Later: I am hopeful that this is in the works. It looks like DC is going to publish a bunch of Legion stuff this year. While I have not seen this on the schedule yet, I think it has a shot.
  • Options
    The original Omega Men run

The original Arion run

The original Amethyst run (they DID do a showcase, but I want color!)

The original Captain Carrot run (see Amethyst, above)

The complete Ambush Bug (see Amethyst, above)

The complete 'Mazing Man run
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Torchsong said:

The original Omega Men run

The original Arion run

The original Amethyst run (they DID do a showcase, but I want color!)

The original Captain Carrot run (see Amethyst, above)

The complete Ambush Bug (see Amethyst, above)

The complete 'Mazing Man run

I would buy Arion trades; I really would like those.

Here's one from roughly that same time period, Blue Devil. The first year was really well regarded at the time (basing this on articles and award nominations at the time).
  • Options
    Blue Devil would also be a welcome addition.

DC has been mining the 80s well for a while now and it seems like some of these could show up if they wanted to make a nostalgia buck...assuming there's a nostalgia buck to be made.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I have noticed the new line of trades for DC that I assume are replacing the old Showcase titles?