Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Luke Cage on Netflix (Spoilers- please label by episode)

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO LABEL WHAT EPISODE YOU ARE DISCUSSING AT THE TOP OF THE POST

And have at it!

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Episodes 1-5

This show is fantastic.

For some reason... I don't trust the older dude who hangs in the barbershop.

Imagine if, in some twist, he was diamondback? He is backing a man made of diamond? :p
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Also 1-5

Hammer tech, baby! It's finally good for something!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Sweet Christmas! Loving it so far.

Marvel + Netflix = Top Shelf Geek Entertainment
  • Options
    I can't believe we live in a time when we get to see comic book characters on television and movie screens done so well. Thank you Marvel! They pay homage to the source material without being beholden to it, but also use the characters to tell modern day stories that are relevant to our society now. But I guess that's the premise Marvel was built on... Can't wait for iron fist
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    edited October 2016
    Thought it was very well acted especially Mike Colter hopefully he shows up in more projects. There were times I thought the storytelling dragged just slightly. Didn't quite hit DD S1 levels but I wasn't a fan of Jessica Jones and still have to watch DD S2.

Oh and. image
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited October 2016
    1-13. Overall the show was good Luke Cage himself was great. But I don't think it was as good as DD or JJ.
    Spoilers.
    I just don't think any of the villains where anywhere near as good as Kingpin or Purple Man. Cottenmouth was good and had a lot of potential and the actor was really good but they killed him midway.

And I know they where going for Sweet Christmas they killed the main villain so soon. But you could see it coming a mile away. And I don't think that Diamondback or the Cousin was that good. Especially Diamond I didn't like that performance.

And the Finale episode imo was the weakest Finale for any of the Netflix Marvel Seasons.

Still a lot of good stuff with Luke Cage , Misty and Night Nurse, so overall I liked it. I really enjoyed the first 5 episodes but the rest was OK imo.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited October 2016
    My wife's comment after watching episode one.
    "If he really wanted to help he could have gone to home depot and got those folks some plywood to board up the window he broke". As Daniel Tiger says "It's ok to make mistakes. try to fix them and learn from them too."

We like the first episode.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I'll finish up tonight.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I've watched through episode 3. So far I'd place it below DD but above JJ.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Thoughts on complete season now that I just finished it (no spoilers. Just overall opinion).

It was... fine. Just ok. Not as good as DD s1 or s2 at all. Not as impressive or enthralling as JJ.
    The story was lacking overall and the writing in general was just serviceable. Some poor and odd choices in the cutting/editing and storytelling IMO in spots.
    Casting and performances were ultimately good but nothing truly great. Even Alfred Woodard who I really like was all over the place (the guy playing Cage himself is quite charismatic and very likeable though).
    Found it really drawn out and often kindve boring. Also a bit silly/cheesy at times.
    I'm left with kindve an unsatisfied feeling. I enjoyed it but not impressed and can't imagine ever sitting through it again. Not even any specific parts. Unlike DD or JJ where I may not want to rewatch the whole series but some episodes or scenes stand out enough to rewatch. Luke cage was entertaining to varying degrees but just anti climatic and unimpressive.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited October 2016
    All done through Episode 13

I really enjoyed it based on the fact we got a Luke Cage series. One problem I had was losing Cottonmouth. That was big for me and it probably took me out the episodes after that because I was all "Wha-huh?" He was the best villain of the four.

The other is having to fill 13 episodes and I find that with all of these Netflix shows is that they commit to the 13 and sometimes I think they have to find ways to fill them. The episode where he was gathering up all the items Cottonmouth had his goons take was a waste of time.

And the last problem is the fight scenes. Compared to Daredevil I found them lacking. It's hard to choreograph a fight for someone who can kill a man with one punch. I did like it when he resorted to just using back of the head smacks to take someone out. I could see where he could work with Daredevil in learning how to control your body to make sure you cause minimal damage in a fight as opposed to maximum. The final fight reminded me of the end of Rocky V.

Outside of those thre issues I enjoyed the series. The music, Claire, Misty Knight, Cottomouth, the Turk cameo, and seeing Luke dealing with being hurt. Also the fact that the NYPD is now being outfitted with weapons that can kill enhanced people is something I wonder if they will address in other Netflix series or even the MCU. I have it DDS1, DDS2, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones. Luke Cage should get a season 2 and I look forward to it.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    1-13:

Loved, loved loved it.

I did feel that the first half was stronger, because of the outstanding portrayal of Cottonmouth.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Wrapped it up last night. It was better than OK, and absolutely better than JJ but definitely not near the top of my list. I'd put this somewhere near the middle of the field with some Agents of SHIELD above and some below.

I think that part of it was probably that, with few exceptions, there was no real peril for Cage. Sure, everyone around him was getting devastated, but that was about it.

Fight scenes were not as well done as some of the other series... I'm particularly looking at the final battle with Diamondback (convenient, wasn't it that the HammerTech battlesuit had a diamond shaped powerpack on the back?).

I did like that the battlesuit had a sort of serpentine quality to it.
  • Options
    1-13:

Just finished it. My least favorite of the Marvel Netflix series, for many of the same reasons cited above. That having been said, I'm thankful to live in a world where I can have a "least favorite Marvel Netflix series."
  • Options
    The air completely went out of the tires the last few episodes. The "final battle" between Luke and Diamondback was laughably bad. Still liked it better than the incredibly boring "Jessica Jones", but far less than "Daredevil".
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I liked it. It felt padded at times, but I appreciated the callbacks to blaxploitation films and the emphasis on the music. This was a love letter to black culture in the superhero genre. Harlem was a character all its own. I liked most of the characters, but some of the acting in the last few episodes seemed like a few of them were just phoning it in. I still look forward to the Defenders.

My Netflix ranking is:

Daredevil (s1)
    Daredevil (s2)
    Luke Cage
    Jessica Jones
  • Options
    I'm surprised folks didn't like Jessica Jones. Thought it was great.
  • Options

I liked it. It felt padded at times, but I appreciated the callbacks to blaxploitation films and the emphasis on the music. This was a love letter to black culture in the superhero genre. Harlem was a character all its own. I liked most of the characters, but some of the acting in the last few episodes seemed like a few of them were just phoning it in. I still look forward to the Defenders.

My Netflix ranking is:

Daredevil (s1)
    Daredevil (s2)
    Luke Cage
    Jessica Jones

Flip that list, and you've got mine.
  • Options

You thought correctly, sir.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Being ranked last on my list doesn't necessarily mean I didn't think it was any good. I just enjoyed it less than the others. I never read the series and felt that none of the characters were very likable. It often felt more like a horror show than an examination of the superhero genre. I liked Luke Cage and Daredevil more.

However, if you believe Daredevil season 1 ranks last, then you are possibly watching it wrong :)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

My Netflix ranking is:

Daredevil (s1)
    Daredevil (s2)
    Luke Cage
    Jessica Jones

Same for me.

• Options

Jessica Jones had almost no characters that were likeable. In all honesty, I thought that Nuke was the second most likeable character on the show, behind Luke Cage.

Her neighbors belong in the same building as Bumpo and Spazzer Dave from Punisher, preferably while it's being implosively demolished. I'd be fine with Jessica being in there as well but I'm not sure that would be enough.

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I totally agree with the negative comments about JJ. Depressing atmosphere, unlikeable characters across the board, unnecessary gratuitous sex and borderline offensive anti male sentiment. However, I personally thought despite those things I didn't like, it was still very compelling. I remained interested, invested and eager to see what happened next and curious how it would end. I didn't feel that way at all with LC. So I put LC at the bottom of my list. It just wasn't THAT engaging or terribly imaginative. (Although I did still like and enjoy it).
  • Options
    batlaw said:

I totally agree with the negative comments about JJ. Depressing atmosphere, unlikeable characters across the board, unnecessary gratuitous sex and borderline offensive anti male sentiment. However, I personally thought despite those things I didn't like, it was still very compelling. I remained interested, invested and eager to see what happened next and curious how it would end. I didn't feel that way at all with LC. So I put LC at the bottom of my list. It just wasn't THAT engaging or terribly imaginative. (Although I did still like and enjoy it).

I got absolutely no sense of anti male sentiment out of it. Unless your suggesting that since the villain was male and was both a sexual and psychological rapist that the story was anti male?
  • Options

However, if you believe Daredevil season 1 ranks last, then you are possibly watching it wrong :)

Have yet to watch Daredevil - Season 2 (I know, I know ...), but Season 1 is far and away the best of the 3 that I have watched.

1) Daredevil Season 1
    (big gap)
    2) Jessica Jones
    (big gap)
    3) Luke Cage

• Options

Is it dominated by D'Onofrio's atrocious overacting?

Why yes, yes it is.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Why yes, yes it is.
    'Daredevil' was good, but Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin was where that show really stood out. D'Onofrio's portrayal of the Kingpin showed viewers the fountain of rage just below the surface, waiting to erupt into shockingly violent outbursts - along with some vulnerability and awkwardness. Overall, this was the Marvel's Cinematic Universe version of 'The Wire'.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Why yes, yes it is.
    155% disagree with that sentiment.
  • Options

'Daredevil' was good, but Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin was where that show really stood out. D'Onofrio's portrayal of the Kingpin showed viewers the fountain of rage just below the surface, waiting to erupt into shockingly violent outbursts - along with some vulnerability and awkwardness. Overall, this was the Marvel's Cinematic Universe version of 'The Wire'.

D'Onofrio's Fisk was an unstable overemotional mess with no poker face. The real dangerous guys would have done a Tommy DeVito on him years before he could have reached such a position of power. Nobody would trust that blubbering baby in a bodega heist, let alone high-stakes crime.

D'Onofrio's acting style is the opposite of "less is more". People praise him for showing everything his character is feeling, but real people DON'T show you everything they're feeling--especially people who are supposed to be dangerous and competent. There is no nuance in his performance. I've never seen nuance in any of his performances.