Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comicbook DB

Does anyone else use comicbookdb to record their collections. The site seems full of pop-ups and re-directs at the moment. Anyone else experiencing this? Any other database apps that people can recommend?

Comments

• Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    edited November 2016
    I started using Comicbookdb a looooong time ago when the guys first mentioned it on the show but eventually got tired of it frequently being down. I looked for an offline cataloging software and settled on ComicCollectorLive. It seemed to be just what I wanted and their store feature was awesome but I was not happy with their mobile app, which required an internet connection to use. I looked around again and finally decided on Collectorz. It was no fun entering my 15,000+ collection for a THIRD time, but their software is great and their mobile app is fantastic.

The past few years there has been a lot of tension between the users and the management at ComicCollectorLive and I stopped renewing my subscription over a year ago. The software still works but I cannot add anything new to it after my subscription ended. I also haven't updated my Comicbookdb collection in many years. I am now exclusively using Collectorz for my cataloging software and am very happy with it. Unlike the other two, they regularly update the features and their customer service is top notch. There is a free version but limits the number of entries in your database. The pro version is $25 a year and you have to purchase the mobile apps but it is definitely worth it. They run a Black Friday special where you get an extra six months free if you purchase a year subscription. Any serious collector should check them out. They also have software for other types of collections - Books (REAL books), Music, Video Games, Movies, etc. Oh, and the picture of the girl they use is by the same artist who drew CGS Man!

http://www.collectorz.com/comic/
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I used Comicbookdb.com and I've never seen any pop-ups, but I use Firefox and have a popup blocker. Never knew there any problems.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Flagwaver said:

I started using Comicbookdb a looooong time ago when the guys first mentioned it on the show but eventually got tired of it frequently being down. I looked for an offline cataloging software and settled on ComicCollectorLive. It seemed to be just what I wanted and their store feature was awesome but I was not happy with their mobile app, which required an internet connection to use. I looked around again and finally decided on Collectorz. It was no fun entering my 15,000+ collection for a THIRD time, but their software is great and their mobile app is fantastic.

The past few years there has been a lot of tension between the users and the management at ComicCollectorLive and I stopped renewing my subscription over a year ago. The software still works but I cannot add anything new to it after my subscription ended. I also haven't updated my Comicbookdb collection in many years. I am now exclusively using Collectorz for my cataloging software and am very happy with it. Unlike the other two, they regularly update the features and their customer service is top notch. There is a free version but limits the number of entries in your database. The pro version is $25 a year and you have to purchase the mobile apps but it is definitely worth it. They run a Black Friday special where you get an extra six months free if you purchase a year subscription. Any serious collector should check them out. They also have software for other types of collections - Books (REAL books), Music, Video Games, Movies, etc. Oh, and the picture of the girl they use is by the same artist who drew CGS Man!

http://www.collectorz.com/comic/

I use them too and wholeheartedly agree with this. Thems good people and good programs/apps. You can also purchase the app without having to subscribe to the web-based program or purchase the stand-alone program and still have most of the features. I do have the web-based program subscription, which means no space is being taken up on my computer and I get all of the new program updates free (until my subscription runs out). I can't tell you how much the app has saved me when looking for back issues. You can also create wish lists so you don't have to carry a piece of paper with you every time you visit a comic shop. Also handy if you're ever visiting someplace new and want to see if they can fill any gaps in your collection.
  • Options
    Pommykiwi said:

Does anyone else use comicbookdb to record their collections. The site seems full of pop-ups and re-directs at the moment. Anyone else experiencing this?

I've used it for several years now. I just checked it now, browsed around a bit, checking for any annoying ads and experienced nothing. My browser of choice is Chrome.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I've sort of switched from cbdb to collectorz, but I still use cbdb a good bit.

I'm trying to figure out if I like collectorz's comic book software. I've fallen in love with it for videogame my collection. That has been a huge difference maker in keeping up with my NES and Genesis games.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. I contacted comicbookdb and they report browser hijacks every now and then. They've blocked some of the ads/sites but new ones have popped up since. Will check out collectors. Thanks again
  • Options
    Grand Comics Database is working on a cataloguing feature, at my.comics.org. I prefer the GCD to other databases because the features a lot more pertinent information as well as interesting tidbits.
  • Options

Grand Comics Database is working on a cataloguing feature, at my.comics.org. I prefer the GCD to other databases because the features a lot more pertinent information as well as interesting tidbits.

GCD is my preferred reference database as well. As you say, it gives more information, though I have seen incorrect credits there from time to time.