Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New LCS

GregGreg Posts: 1,946
In a twenty year span the Michigan City/La Porte, Indiana area has seen eight comic/hobby shops come and go. There has been no shop since 2001. We have a new shop, Heroes Haven, which just opened up in April, today was the first time I was able to go check it out.

I was familiar with the space the store was in, and didn't think it would have much room. To my surprise they had three 4'x6' miniature wargame tables with terrain. Four other tables for reading or playing card games/rpg's. Ten longboxes of back issues with books from the silver age to the present. One full wall completely dedicated to current issues and the same size wall split for games,manga and trades.

I was taking it all in, thinking to myself not to get my hopes up. I talked to the owner, Patrick for almost an hour. I have to say I'm excited and have my hopes up. Patrick has already been told the history of such shops in the area and how/why they failed. He gets it.

He's giving 10% off to people who get a pull list and even if I'm paying a little more, I'll leave DCBS to give support to this store, it's what I've been waiting for.

I just had to share.

Comments

• Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    I wish him the best of luck. I think its very brave to open a new shop these days with the way people's buying habits/preferences have been changing the industry.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Pat broke even for April and he's come out ahead for May.

One thing I forgot to mention, and I should not have have, Pat bares a slight resembelance to Pants. At least I think so. I'm going to get a pic when I can.
  • Options
    Always like it when a new shop opens up. Need more to do so.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited June 2012
    Only about a dozen LCS in all of Switzerland - and no new ones since around 1998..... :-<

At least the majority of bookshops are selling comics as well. And most Kiosks/Newsstand have a selection of comics on sale. The big money is earned by mail order - small vendors up to giants like Amazon.