Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

Atlas & Axis. What a beautiful little charm bomb. Loved it.

Dang it! I ordered it from my shop, but it wasn't in my bag, and I didn't see it on the rack. I'll have to check into that.
    aquatroy said:

Lady Killer Vol. 2 (tpb). I really enjoyed the first trade. Vol. 2 was even better.

I have the issues, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Really enjoyed the first one though.
    Do you know if there are plans for more Lady Killer? I've done some searches, but didn't find an answer.
    I haven’t heard. I assume that as long as sales are good, she’ll want to keep doing them. She’s doing work for DC now, so it might be a while.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Thanos 14...wowowow! Only two issues in and this is some of the best Thanos I've ever read.

Indeed, this book continues to hit it out of the park. It's crazy that this is the only Marvel book I'm reading at all, but every time I take a look at their previews most of it leaves an empty taste in my mouth.

I love how this is just a comic book. That's all. It's not "holding a mirror up to society", it's not trying to be meta like Mister Miracle. It's just a comic book, with a good story in every single issue, that manages to leave you wanting more.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited January 2018
    Avengers #676 has a fascinating callback to an old Mark Waid story. It's fascinating because it's a callback to one of his DC stories...

• Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Rumble #2; This is a really fun read.
    Mighty Thor 703; The only Marvel book that I'm buying monthly. Love this book.
    Hawkman Found #1:Bought this because of the creative team and was not disappointed. Beautifully illustrated.
    Strangers in Paradise; [Oprah voice]Loved it[\Oprah voice]

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Working my way through last month's Valiant books. Really digging both Eternity and X-O Manowar. Both books could very easily fit classic into Heavy Metal. Eternity is full of these incredibly out there set designs, character concepts and acid trip colors. X-O, on the art side, very much reminds me of Segrelles Mercenary strips.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I only read one comic this week. It's issue #1 of the new Strangers in Paradise series, so of course I like it.

• Options
    I want to echo Chris Eberle's praise of "Maestros" from Image. What a quirky, genuinely funny book this has been thus far.
  • Options
    BryanBryan Posts: 208

I want to echo Chris Eberle's praise of "Maestros" from Image. What a quirky, genuinely funny book this has been thus far.

I've been enjoying it too. I'm surprised I haven't seen it get much attention online.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    I missed the first couple of issues of Maestros, so know I'm waiting for the trade.
  • Options
    TravisTravis Posts: 35
    David_D said:

I've been catching up on Kill Or Be Killed from Phillips and Brubaker. I had been a little lukewarm and skeptical about this one (at least, by comparison to their other works, which still puts it above most of the rest of what I read) when it first started, but I am totally invested in it now. Their collaborations are always top of the pile for me, but I would say this one is shaping up to be one of their best.

I just read all 3 trades in less than 36 hours, including the first in one sitting. I loved it. Which book of theirs would you recommend to read next? I've always heard about criminal and how good it is but they have a lot to choose from.
  • Options
    Travis said:

I just read all 3 trades in less than 36 hours, including the first in one sitting. I loved it. Which book of theirs would you recommend to read next? I've always heard about criminal and how good it is but they have a lot to choose from.

I really enjoyed Fatale and The Fadeout. Haven't read Criminal yet, though.

• Options
    Travis said:

David_D said:

I've been catching up on Kill Or Be Killed from Phillips and Brubaker. I had been a little lukewarm and skeptical about this one (at least, by comparison to their other works, which still puts it above most of the rest of what I read) when it first started, but I am totally invested in it now. Their collaborations are always top of the pile for me, but I would say this one is shaping up to be one of their best.

Criminal is amazing. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Travis said:

David_D said:

Thanks for asking. I love all of their work, though I would say that Criminal is the closest to Kill Or Be Killed, I think as being modern, non-supernatural (though I suppose there is some room to interpret one way or the other as far as the supernatural element of KOBK).

I would say the difference, though, is that where KOBK tells one big story, Criminal has been more like a series of novellas. But I think it is such excellent work, and I think has been given less attention than some of their other collaborations, partly because being an ICON book at Marvel, it was sort of halfway between being things. It was a creator-owned, mature readers work, like many Image books, but it was being published by an imprint of Marvel, which is not where people were necessarily looking for that kind of work.

My next runner up would be The Fade Out, as, like KOBK, there is one big story being told, mostly focused on a single character getting in over their head with different overlapping powerful forces. And, like Criminal, it is set in the real world (albeit, in this case a period piece, set in Hollywood during the, I think early 1950s? (Maybe the late 1940s, I forget).

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Loved the reveal of who the Cosmic Ghost Rider was in this week's Thanos. And Geoff Shaw's artwork has some wonderfully subtle characterisation.

Also, despite it revealing that I am now at least one year older than Reed Richards and Ben Grimm, Marvel Two In One set the ball rolling for the return of the Fantastic Four in fine form.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Brack said:

Loved the reveal of who the Cosmic Ghost Rider was in this week's Thanos. And Geoff Shaw's artwork has some wonderfully subtle characterisation.

I read those pages online. It was interesting
  • Options
    TravisTravis Posts: 35
    Thanks everyone. I think I’ll start with criminal but probably work may way through all of them.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Brack said:

I read those pages online. It was interesting
    I liked that the previous two issues pushed you to think it was a different character, but when this character explains what's happened to him, it makes sense that his personality would have drifted towards that of the character you first think it is.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I've been getting caught up on Dept. H now that the end is nearly here. Great, great stuff. As I've said here before, when I was a little kid I wanted to be Jacques Cousteau when I grew up. I'm also a big fan of mystery and science fiction, of course, so combining the three into what may be the wildest, most inventive locked room mystery ever conceived made this series (maxi-series? What do you call a 24-issue series?) right up my alley.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Read the first issue of James Bond: The Body by Ales Kot and Luca Casalanguida. I haven't been keeping up with Bond, in general, from Dynamite (though I did read the first trade of the Ellis story), and I am not the biggest Bond fan (I mean, I have really enjoyed Bond stuff, nothing against it, you just can't go deep on everything).

But I ordered this because I tend to try everything Kot does, ever since finding him on Zero and his wonderfully gonzo Secret Avengers run. The way that Kot wrote espionage in Zero made me especially interested to see what he would do with Bond.

I thought the first issue was excellent. Very grounded. I really liked the framing device of Bond getting this post-mission medical exam as being the way into the story of the mission. And Casalanguida, who I don't think I had read before, felt perfect for this. The density and, at the right times, slight ugliness of his figures reminded me of Goran Parlov.

I see that Antonio Fuso does the second issue. (I wouldn't have minded more Casalanguida, but as the next issue is called "The Brain" there may be story-driven reasons for each issue to have a different style.
  • Options
    I just got my shipment from DCBS yesterday. Right off the bat: Phoenix Resurrection (1, 2, 3, & 4) ($3.99; DCBS $2.39).

I'm a HUGE X-Men fan, and this 5-issue series has been going strong each issue. A lot of X-characters, both new and old. The story drops enough of what's happening to keep you reading, but not so much that you already know all the ends-and-outs. The story is moving at a quick clip, but almost every page feels important in some way. There are a lot of nods, but they're obvious nods such that you can look up the reference if you're confused (which means X-fans and non-X-fans can both appreciate the gems). I don't know much about art other than "I like that"/"I don't like that." The art is more traditional (e.g., everything's clear, mostly kept in their respective boxes, etc.). If you're an X-fan, you should really be reading this. If you have any affinity for the X-men, I'd find a friend and borrow it soon.
  • Options
    Brack said:

Agreed. In my opinion, this is the top comic that Marvel is producing, and it's not even close.

• Options
    chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    Tales of Suspense # 100. A fun team up issue with the Winter Soldier and Hawkeye. I'm looking forward to seeing where this storyline goes.
    Ms Marvel # 25. I loved this comic. I haven't picked up an issue of this series since it first started but I never felt lost reading. I'm going to start reading the back issues on this book.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I've started rereading Steve Englehart's run on Silver Surfer. This was the book that really got me into comics as a kid. A few years ago I saw (most of) the complete run on ebay for cheap so I grabbed it. Then last year I got it bound into 2 volumes (going to keep making more). And now I'm reading it! So far through issue #9.

I was a little worried that perhaps it might not hold up well. That maybe what I thought was amazing as a kid was just... kids stuff. But boy, is that not the case. This reads *very well*, even today.

My copy includes the West Coast Avengers Annual #2 and Avengers Annual #16. This is the time that the Avengers (and a few non-Avengers like Moon Knight) were sent to Death's realm to fight each other through trickery of the Elders. Just great, great stuff.

I really wasn't expecting this to be such an easy read but it is. Definite recommend.
  • Options
    Doctor Strange #384. Awesome twist with the reveal of how the good Doctor is able to harness so much magic in his battle with Loki.
  • Options
    All New Wolverine #30 was an excellent examination of the concept of the revenge and forgiveness in superhero comics.
  • Options
    I've been hitting Ollie's Outlet pretty hard for the past month... 3 trips netting LOTS of cool DC hardcovers and paperbacks.

What I've loved, so far... Jim Aparo's Batman, vol. 2... Seven Soldiers of Victory by Morrisson... Levitz's Legion run hardcovers from the mid 2000's... Superman vs. Mongul by Starlin and co.

Seriously, I bought a mountain of books. Hardly made a dent in their inventory, however.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

I've been hitting Ollie's Outlet pretty hard for the past month... 3 trips netting LOTS of cool DC hardcovers and paperbacks.

What I've loved, so far... Jim Aparo's Batman, vol. 2... Seven Soldiers of Victory by Morrisson... Levitz's Legion run hardcovers from the mid 2000's... Superman vs. Mongul by Starlin and co.

Seriously, I bought a mountain of books. Hardly made a dent in their inventory, however.

I need to stop by there at some point. They're just really out of the way for me.
  • Options
    chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    Doctor Strange # 381- 383. I loved Stephen’s sidekick, Bats.
    Batman: Creature of the Night. I was looking forward to reading this book and it exceeded my expectations. It’s well told story with beautiful art. And the story takes place in Boston in the 60’s and 70’s. An excellent setting for a realistic and brutal Batman story.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited February 2018
    The Silencer #1

Of all the "New Age Of Heroes" titles DC announced I was probably least excited for The Silencer. For one it has JRJR art and two it looked like, to me anyway, a Punisher knock off. While I'm still not a fan of the art the story by Abnett is pretty good..especially for a first issue. Nice intro to the character, her family, and an appearance by an established DC character gives us a pretty good idea of where she came from. It was nice to be surprised by this book.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The Silencer #1

Of all the "New Age Of Heroes" titles DC announced I was probably least excited for The Silencer. For one it has JRJR art and two it looked like, to me anyway, a Punisher knock off. While I'm still not a fan of the art the story by Abnett is pretty good..especially for a first issue. Nice intro to the character, her family, and an appearance by an established DC character gives us a pretty good idea of where she came from. It was nice to be surprised by this book.

Took the pass on this one based on JRJR. Glad to hear that it has something good going for it! I've quite enjoyed my past exposure to Abnett.