Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Earth 2, thoughts? No spoilers.

Well I was pleasantly surprised, ok it's not the old Earth that I loved but it's started off interestingly. Prefer it to the way they started of the JLA.

Was shocked at the state of the world and interested in where they will go from here. Looks like I 'might' have been right about where Jay could get his power, wonder if all the other's get theirs in similar ways.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    I am very much looking forward to reading this when it drops $1 next month.

Side question: I got DCnU Justice League #1, and thought it was OK, but not great. Did it get better?
  • Options
    DarthKramerDarthKramer Posts: 60
    I thought it was awesome. I want to re-read the first Justice League arc now and see if there are any "clues" there. I also want to dig out and re-read the Mister Terrific series because of Worlds' Finest.
  • Options
    @TrustyMutsi JLA:- not yet IMO, hopefully now that we have established characters they might up the speed of the story telling
  • Options
    BlackUmbrellaBlackUmbrella Posts: 208
    $3.99 is too steep. Next month...
  • Options
    This is a book where I didn't feel bad about the $3.99 price tag at all. It's got extra pages, the art is beautiful, it's a great story...
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Flipped through Earth 2 at the store, but was put off by both the price tag and the fact that it looked like (whiting this out in case it's a spoiler, highlight to see) a superhero snuff book, and I've had enough of those (especially from DC) in the past few years. I may give the trade a shot down the line if I hear enough people say it's good, but for now I'm passing.

I did get World's Finest, though, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed that. I was going to skip that, too, but the draw of Perez and Maguire on the same book was too hard to pass up. Dug the story, loved the characterizations, and am likely to pick up the next issue. Levitz's return to the Legion left me feeling kinda meh, but he's off to a good start here. Probably because even though he's written Huntress and Power Girl before, these versions actually feel new.
  • Options
    JakeJarmelJakeJarmel Posts: 18
    i didn't really have a problem with the price because it's an extended issue. having said that, i would have still paid 3.99 if it was standard issue. best single issue of the year, so far, imo
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm looking forward to reading this stuff.
  • Options
    @LibraryBoy I can understand how it might have come across as that type of book but think of it as a plot device, it worked for me. A major point that really differentiates Earth 2. From this point on the there can be a real sense of a new earth, not one that is the same as the old but with a few costume changes, characters de-aged, history re-written and putting a 'n' between DC and U.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I think it's an interesting take on what's going to happen in the series. I liked what happened and I haven't been this impressed with a James Robinson book in awhile. The art was gorgeous and I think this has a lot of potential. I think more than Worlds' Finest does but that doesn't mean I disliked Worlds' Finest. I'm just over that type of premise.
  • Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    I thought it was good. The problem is that every time I open a Robinson book I secretly hope that it's going to be the next Starman and it never is. I like the direction of the book and the new take on some characters but I also miss my old JSA. They are the only thing that I miss about the old DCU.
  • Options
    @tommysheroes I am one of the biggest Starman fans you'll ever meet and I have to say, I never expect anything he writes to be the next Starman.

@LibraryBoy I get what you're saying about the "snuff book", but I think they just needed to get all of this out of the way at once to set up the differences between the worlds and from here on out, I bet it will be different. I mean, we all know how Starman started out and it wasn't really a snuff book from that point on.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    I really enjoyed this issue as well as Worlds' Finest. I got in pretty big debate with someone on another forum about how Robinson was able to realize each characters limitations based on the situation. I don't see how anyone could hate this issue but to each their own I guess.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    I loved it. Didn't pick up world's finest but I'll go back for it this week. Loved the characterization and the setup. Plus I was blown away by Nichola Scott's art. I've always loved it but it looked amazing here. You can really see the growth since she started.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I've never read Starman, so I have no expectations when going into his books.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    Here is a link with James Robinson talking about Earth 2. Some interesting ideas but it does have spoilers. http://www.comicvine.com/news/james-robinson-earth-2-wonder-woman-was-not-the-last-amazon/144661/
  • Options
    I wish that I had watched more of that show.... and now I'm realising that this is the wrong thread for that. Comics, not TV. Gotcha.
  • Options
    I picked up Earth 2 #1 last week digitally (yes, I'm saving the dollar).

I read too many previews about it, so very little was a surprise, but still enjoyed it.

Really liked the moments with Al Pratt and Jay Garrick. I have the feeling a certain character who died is not as dead as we think, but I guess we'll see :)

Should I also be reading World's Finest, to get the whole story?
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I havn't read #2 yet (waiting for my DCBS box) but did the smoking craters Alan Scott viewed from his plane remind anybody else of Apoclypse?
  • Options
    I havn't read #2 yet (waiting for my DCBS box) but did the smoking craters Alan Scott viewed from his plane remind anybody else of Apoclypse?
    Yes!! I was thinking the same thing!
  • Options
    Yes!! I was thinking the same thing!
    Whew! Glad it wasn't just me. I think that might indicate some real problems coming up for Earth 2!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    My non-spoiler thought is that I really dug the first two issues. It is a slow build so far, but I am getting the impression (and here's hoping) that Robinson and Scott are building towards a big story, and the art is gorgeous.

I also like how different it is-- not only that we are getting significantly different versions of the JSA characters so far, but that we also are seeing an Earth that has a history with its heroes very different from the rest of the DCU. And I like the way that Robinson and Scott have let that altered history really affect the history of that world, and how the citizens see their "wonders" as they call them. I like the Elseworlds-ness of it. I hope it is in for the long haul, and hopefully with this creative team.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Well, okay, I'll be the dissenting opinion.

I wasn't thrilled about the jerky pace of this book. Things that I was very much interested in, to see them developed more, were over in moments (spoiler text: (The relationship between Batman and his daughter, for example)), and then things started to drag.

I'm also not sure what the audience is for this book. Obviously, taking characters that were familiar pre-New 52 was an aim to draw fans of those characters, but as a fan of those characters, I was left pretty cold by this treatment/update. I suppose the audience might be new fans, but them I'm kinda mystified by the idea of using the identities of the previously established characters. (That is, to say, I have no problem with this "Earth 2" having a Superman, Batman, Flash, etc., but trading on the secret identities of characters that have been around as long as they have, in part, due to their familiarity, it just seems odd to me.)

Sure, I'll fully admit, as a fan of the JSA, I was hoping for that more familiar feel to this group that is being established. And, I'd argue that this was a perfect case where they could have done that, going with a more traditional feel, and not "interfering" with the idea of the "new 52" relaunch. (Though, I would also argue that since two properties, Batman and Green Lantern, were left virtually unchanged in the New 52, there really isn't an established, written in stone statement that everything has to be brand new and shiny.) Earth 2, having so little to do with the original JSA, could have gone completely different with secret identities, and I think I'd be more willing to accept it, because I wouldn't have preconcieved notions of what the character "should" be like. The title wouldn't be carrying that "baggage" of what JSA fans were expecting. I'd still want that original JSA at some point, but I, personally, wouldn't have that sense of loss of what the characters used to be when picking up this book. (I hope that makes sense.)

I'm just not taken with what has been established in the first issue. And, in that same regard, I'm not overly thrilled that the extended first issue was essentially a prologue. Spoiler-ish rant statement: A prologue that established characters that didn't even make it past this issue! (Putting on my "old man" hat - I remember when books were introduced and had an actual adventure in the very first issue! It is true! They didn't have an origin that took four issues or have to wait an additional two to four issues after that to get costumes! I know, unbelievable, right? It was an amazing time.)

I'm just left not really interested in this book. It isn't that it is particularly bad, but it also isn't particularly good, either. It is pretty enough, though the costume redesigns are questionable at times.

In the past, I've always tried to give books three issues to prove themselves, but now that I'm old and crotchety and impatient, I find myself giving the heave-ho to books much quicker. I don't have the time or money anymore to wait for books to get good. I'm pretty sure I've already dropped this title in my own mind.

The biggest problem with this book is entirely me - it isn't what I wanted. That may not be a good enough reason for anyone else to drop it, but it is a good enough reason for me.
  • Options
    Dave2099Dave2099 Posts: 61
    What's the deal with the wish-it-on-and-off track suit for Jay? Isn't it redundant for a character with speed powers to have to eliminate the need to manually change clothes? For some reason this is bugging me... the man could run home & change in half an eyeblink!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited June 2012
    The biggest problem with this book is entirely me - it isn't what I wanted. That may not be a good enough reason for anyone else to drop it, but it is a good enough reason for me.
    It's not what I wanted either. I think you and I had pretty similar hopes when this was announced.

However, by the time it was released, there had been plenty of advance word that it was gonna be what it is, not what we wanted.

I bought the first issue out of morbid curiosity and didn't expect to like it. And I didn't like it.

Something in the background art in the spoiler pages about Alan Scott's relationship intrigued me, though.

So I bought the second issue, and am now intrigued.

Not so much for the characters, but to see what they do with a world which has been irrevocably altered by the Apokalyptian invasion. That's a different story than I'm seeing elsewhere, and could be very interesting.

This might (might) be a Science Fiction book masquerading as a superhero book. If so, I'm in.
  • Options
    Dave2099Dave2099 Posts: 61
    I'm curious about issue #3... some articles have said Alan won't have a ring, but the cover art clearly shows one (still on the left hand... nice!).
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    This was a strange book. As a non-DC person it was basically unreadable and what did make sense didn't do anything for me as far as the story went. It may be a case where this is a book for a very specific audience and I am just not even close to it.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    This was a strange book. As a non-DC person it was basically unreadable and what did make sense didn't do anything for me as far as the story went. It may be a case where this is a book for a very specific audience and I am just not even close to it.
    I'm not really sure who the target audience for this book is.

Not people like you with no DC lore.

Not people like me with too much DC lore.

Like I said above, I have hopes that it turns out to be a stealth SF book.
  • Options
    Finally got around to reading Earth 2 #2. I loved this issue, Flash doing dynamic Flash stuff, Good cliffhanger, I liked the dialogue with Mercury, my only beef is the Smartest man in the worlds introduction. That doesn't strike me as very smart.