Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1239 Talkback: Batman - Night of the Owls

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited June 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Batman has been one of our favorite titles from DC's relaunch. 'The Night of the Owls' crossover spread the story to the rest of the Bat Universe. We review the story in Batman to this point and go through the crossover titles and discuss the reveal in Batman #10. SPOILERS! (1:53:50)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Looking forward to listening.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Good show boys.

I dropped Batman with issue #8, too many books, but I've been keeping up on it. The reveal left me underwhelmed do to the resemblance in issue #1. I had friends joking then that it was Bruce's brother, so it was already on people's minds at least somewhat. I don't have a problem with Bruce having a long lost brother, I just hope they continue to use Wayne Jr as a villian that can match Batman move for move both physically and intellectually.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    Batman is the first book I've been reading monthly in over 6 years. I will definitely check this episode out. It's been awhile since I've been able to listen to a podcast about a current comic book :)
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    The Albuquerque Balloon Museum has a Japanese Fire Balloon (Fu-Go). Interesting stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmW-SgNqTRc
  • Options
    Batman is the first book I've been reading monthly in over 6 years. I will definitely check this episode out. It's been awhile since I've been able to listen to a podcast about a current comic book :)
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I hope that it's somehow revealed that Damian is actually Thomas Jr's son.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    I'm only getting batman but would like to delve into the owls a bit more,out of all the crossovers which are the most relevant?

• Options
    Good episode guys. I also was frustrated with how much Lincoln March and Bruce Wayne resembled each other.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Great episode. I actually didn't get all of the issues for this story. Just the ones that I already read. I hope they collect this story in one volume and I'll get that.
  • Options
    I'm only getting batman but would like to delve into the owls a bit more,out of all the crossovers which are the most relevant?

Before you delve, make sure to wear protection.
    in my opinion:
    The important issues were found in batgirl and nightwing.
    Batman & robin, the batman annual and Cato,an were good reads.
  • Options
    I am new to comics (and am certainly no connoisseur of comic book art) and while I liked the add on story about Alfred's Father, I must say I didn't like how it was drawn. To be more specific I didn't like the coloring or the layout. I also found the way the figures were drawn to be distracting.

I know Mike and many others like it and am hoping to learn what it is I may be missing as a novice.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Thank you Mike,and as I'm sure you're an expert in 'delving'ill take your advice :)
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited June 2012
    Mike, what did you think of Red Hood and the Outlaws's art of issue #9? I know you loved Catwoman's how about Rocafort's?
  • Options
    Mike, what did you think of Red Hood and the Outlaws's art of issue #9? I know you loved Catwoman's how about Rocafort's?
    It was good but constrained. This,series,is taking its toll on his expressive storytelling. Like his precious super,an story was pretty "normal".
  • Options
    Dc are putting all the tie-ins into one book,and strangely collecting 8-12 in one collection.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I don't know what it is but the owls aren't pulling me in as much as I'd hoped. I liked a couple of them fine but not the whole. Maybe there wasn't enough cross-over in the cross over? I don't know what it is but the owls have left me a little bleh

probably in a small group on that school of thought though

the episode was good though :)
  • Options
    I am new to comics (and am certainly no connoisseur of comic book art) and while I liked the add on story about Alfred's Father, I must say I didn't like how it was drawn. To be more specific I didn't like the coloring or the layout. I also found the way the figures were drawn to be distracting.

I know Mike and many others like it and am hoping to learn what it is I may be missing as a novice.
    You probably aren't missing anything. I think with comics there are artists that are brilliant and some not so great but ultimately it comes down to what you liked. If you found the artwork distracting then that art doesn't work for you. You're not wrong.
  • Options

Everybody has their own taste. Just because I like it (and say everyone should too) doesn't mean everyone likes it or should like it. If you don't like it, that's fine.
    Like most of the geeks are diggin mark bagley's work. I can't stand it. Is it professional? Certainly. Is he a good person? Irrelevant. Do I, in my opinion, think he draws simplistically and is a lazy storyteller? Hell yes!
    I love frank miller. Even shitty frank miller. My wife hates frank miller. She loves Jim lee. I'm not crazy about Jim lee. I love p Craig Russell. No one else reads p Craig Russell
    That is art, any art, in general.
    Don't try to like something because someone else does. It is ok to give it a chance but make your own decision.

To speak to what you have said, I can see how the drawing is distracting it gets over exaggerated at times. Albuquerque's style is not for everyone. Hence him drawing a backup and a vertigo horror book.
    When he was on blue nettle his work was more straight forward.

Who DO you like? I would love to know!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Everybody has their own taste. Just because I like it (and say everyone should too) doesn't mean everyone likes it or should like it. If you don't like it, that's fine.
    Like most of the geeks are diggin mark bagley's work. I can't stand it. Is it professional? Certainly. Is he a good person? Irrelevant. Do I, in my opinion, think he draws simplistically and is a lazy storyteller? Hell yes!
    I love frank miller. Even shitty frank miller. My wife hates frank miller. She loves Jim lee. I'm not crazy about Jim lee. I love p Craig Russell. No one else reads p Craig Russell
    That is art, any art, in general.
    Don't try to like something because someone else does. It is ok to give it a chance but make your own decision.

To speak to what you have said, I can see how the drawing is distracting it gets over exaggerated at times. Albuquerque's style is not for everyone. Hence him drawing a backup and a vertigo horror book.
    When he was on blue nettle his work was more straight forward.

Who DO you like? I would love to know!
    I love P Craig Russell.

• Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Batman is easily the best of the New 52. I haven't bought monthly comics in years and this is just too good to pass up.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I haven't listened to the episode yet because I just read the crossover, but WOW, what a NON crossover! It really was like those crappy tie in events that Marvel used to do in the 90's, where they set up a premise, said the books all tied in, and yet it was "Oh, and these guys fight a reaver" rather than moving ANY of the story forward. None of the tie-ins felt like the resolved anything, and their next issues, for the most part, have just moved on as if the stories had nothing to do with what issue 9 was about.

Red Skies crossovers and nothing that gave the story resolution in any of the tie ins. If all of their future crossover events are like this, I can easily pass by the books that I don't follow with is NOT what you want people to think when you do this sort of thing.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    edited June 2012
    I haven't listened to the episode yet because I just read the crossover, but WOW, what a NON crossover! It really was like those crappy tie in events that Marvel used to do in the 90's, where they set up a premise, said the books all tied in, and yet it was "Oh, and these guys fight a reaver" rather than moving ANY of the story forward. None of the tie-ins felt like the resolved anything, and their next issues, for the most part, have just moved on as if the stories had nothing to do with what issue 9 was about.

Red Skies crossovers and nothing that gave the story resolution in any of the tie ins. If all of their future crossover events are like this, I can easily pass by the books that I don't follow with is NOT what you want people to think when you do this sort of thing.
    I think you missed the point.

They said right upfront that the STORY of the Night of Owls was going to be in Batman only, and that the other titles were just how you could see the way it affected the rest of Gotham. Snyder and others were very clear ages before that the other titles weren't part of the story. you could buy what you wanted if you wanted it. The idea was that there are targets, but the targets themselves were not part of the main story, but you could follow the action there if you wanted to.

They can't win. If they'd said "it's only in this book" the cries of "How can this be happening in Gotham and Batgirl doesn't see it?" would have virtually cracked the interwebs in half ;)

Edit To Add:

Snyder: No, no, no. You don't have to buy them all. We're doing a different format of a crossover. What DC is doing is, we're trying to create stories that overlap with other books, but that don't necessarily depend on you reading one book to understand the other.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

They said right upfront that the STORY of the Night of Owls was going to be in Batman only, and that the other titles were just how you could see the way it affected the rest of Gotham. Snyder and others were very clear ages before that the other titles weren't part of the story. you could buy what you wanted if you wanted it. The idea was that there are targets, but the targets themselves were not part of the main story, but you could follow the action there if you wanted to.

They can't win. If they'd said "it's only in this book" the cries of "How can this be happening in Gotham and Batgirl doesn't see it?" would have virtually cracked the interwebs in half ;)

Edit To Add:

Snyder: No, no, no. You don't have to buy them all. We're doing a different format of a crossover. What DC is doing is, we're trying to create stories that overlap with other books, but that don't necessarily depend on you reading one book to understand the other.
    If I have to read an interview/internet article/etc... to understand a story, the story has failed. In the books themselves, they state they are part of a crossover, not that the story was in Batman (and, well Nightwing 8) only. In the handout giving us the list of books in the crossover, they list them all...well, they don't list that you need Batman 10 and 11 to get an ending to the story.

I'm starting to see more and more where comics from Marvel and DC expect that you've read all of the publicity leading up to a story, which does not bode well for people who buy their comics in trades or without being part of the comics internet community.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Good episode, guys.

It never fails, though: I read my Snyder Batman comics, think "Hey, pretty good!", then I listen to CGS and think "Whoa, don't you think you're overpraising it?"

Basically, my main "detraction" (not really a "complaint") to Snyder's story is just that it's way too similar to certain things Morrison did in "Batman R.I.P." and "Batman & Robin". So many plotpoints were already used in a very similar storyline just a few years ago: all those things regarding secret elite organizations and Gotham/Wayne family history. And, reading "Night of the Owls", just when I thought the parallels to Morrison were finally over, Snyder gives us a guy who looks a lot like Bruce who turns out to be related to him -- which is a LOT like Dr. Hurt (who turned out to be a different Thomas Wayne). And then we've got an upcoming "Talon" comic, just like after "R.I.P." we had a new "Azrael" -- and both of these titles will be based on "the one assassin that the evil organization lost control of".

I feel like hitting myself over the head with a hammer sometimes because so many aspects of this seem waaaaaaaaaaay too familiar.

That said, to be more positive, I still had a great time. And just because I think Snyder's plot reads like a streamlined version of some things Morrison did, that doesn't mean I don't like it. I love Morrison's Batman, so of course I'd like to read a redux/remix of it. And even if Snyder's tale isn't as, er, complex and highbrow as Morrison's, it certainly is crowd-pleasing and has awesome art. I'll take Capullo over many of the artists Morrison had to work with. (I'd take Capullo over Tony Daniel every day of the week.)

I also think that, for me at least, Snyder has improved as a writer (or as a "Batman writer") during the course of this arc. Up through issue 7 or so, I found myself getting pulled out of the story whenever Snyder would launch into "long-winded tangential anecdote" mode. It's not that I have a problem with wordiness (obviously, since I write long comments!), it's just that I found Snyder's narrative anecdotes to be kind of tedious and overwritten, sometimes, at least. And sometimes the earlier issues felt a bit too formulaic in terms of plotting and narrative-box "bookending" (hope that makes sense). In the last few issues, though, I think Snyder's prose captions have improved quite a bit and each issue seems like a hellish rollercoaster ride. Which is awesome, something I haven't felt in a comic since "Batman R.I.P.", actually.

Overall, Batman definitely has been one of my favorite New 52 titles. Other series that I once liked more than it, like Animal Man or Batwoman, have tapered off. And unlike other great artists (e.g. Chang on Wonder Woman), Capullo can do every single issue, month in and month out -- which is SO damn impressive. So, aside from Batman Inc. (of course), I find myself thinking that Snyder's Batman really is the best book DC has been offering. Can't disagree with that whenever people say it, which so many people do. I wouldn't say it's been as good as titles like Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine & The X-Men, or Prophet (the last of which is criminally underrepresented on CGS -- read the Prophet trade that's coming out in August, guys, please!), but Batman's still definitely in my top 10 current comics across the board. And six months ago I never thought I'd be saying that. But Snyder has, in my opinion, improved as a writer, and Capullo has remained consistent, and the story is fun and engaging, even if it is a bit too familiar.

I still have to smile a bit and throw my hands up when you guys wonder if Thomas Wayne Jr. was ever Owlman; in my mind I'm screaming, "Of course he was Owlman! In 'JLA: Earth 2'! So that's something else Snyder got from Morrison!". And when you say that for the first time in many years Gotham finally feels like a character, I have to do a double-take and think, "Gotham has often felt like a character in Batman comics, year in and year out. To me, anyway." So I guess I'm just not hugely impressed with this Batman series. I am impressed, just not as hugely impressed as you guys are. Still enjoy it quite a bit, though. Probably in my top 10 comics, as I said. Okay, I'm repeating myself now.

Good episode, guys.
  • Options
    I was going to mention RIP but the Morrison haters would have been on me the rest of the ep, but you make valid points.
  • Options
    I've read RIP so many times and I still can't get my head round it.
  • Options
    Busty, did you like it? It is difficult to figure out. I read it a few times and always feel I'm missing something. I makes just enough sense for me to like it.
  • Options
    NKQNKQ Posts: 24
    This episode made me download the first issue. I'm new to digital comics and am getting use to reading on a device. How about a segment about the difference between reading digital comics and the dead tree version?
  • Options
    Mike I like what I understand but like you I feel I'm missing out on something.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    edited June 2012

Edit To Add:

If I have to read an interview/internet article/etc... to understand a story, the story has failed. In the books themselves, they state they are part of a crossover, not that the story was in Batman (and, well Nightwing 8) only. In the handout giving us the list of books in the crossover, they list them all...well, they don't list that you need Batman 10 and 11 to get an ending to the story.

I'm starting to see more and more where comics from Marvel and DC expect that you've read all of the publicity leading up to a story, which does not bode well for people who buy their comics in trades or without being part of the comics internet community.
    The scene in Nightwing was actually a replay of a scene that was in Batman. The ENTIRE story was in Batman. The other stuff was just additional colour, like you said. Did you need to read the interview to understand the story? Absolutely not (though I guess it would have saved you a few bucks). It was all in one book, so the story didn't fail. As for calling them red sky issue, they were more than that, but nothing more than slugfests, to be fair. Batman identified a number of targets and said "go get them" you can either just read Batman and assume that they did exactly what he asked, or you could read the other books and see how they did it. It's all part of the story, it's just not the spine of the story. Seemed pretty clear in the book, and in the solicits, but obviously your mileage may vary.

The overall story has been ongoing since issue 1 the event was only a part of the bigger picture. The Night of the Owls was just the one night, hence the title. I'd be willing to bet, when the trade comes out, that it's Batman 7-12 in one volume, and the "crossover" issues will get put into a separate Night of the Owls trade. The trade readers will actually have it pretty easy.