Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman verses Spider-Man

Comments

• Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Spider-Man
    Rule #3 confuses me.

Are you talking a fight, or a campaign?
    Its a fight until the opponent is beat however long it takes. I probably should have included an option for a draw.
    Can you define "beat"? Do you mean physically incapacitated, or willing to concede the other as the victor? Again, Spider-Man could leave Batman webbed to a lightpost, but would wake up the next morning with a Batarang imbedded in his headboard.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Spider-Man
    In the headboard, or Pete finds it waiting for him next time he grabs his costume from the closet or under the bed.
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    In the headboard, or Pete finds it waiting for him next time he grabs his costume from the closet or under the bed.
    Depends on whether Pete was alone when Batman showed up.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    edited June 2012
    Spider-Man
    We both know that neither will ever concede so that leaves physically incapacitated or captured without possible means of escape. So if Spider-Man knocked out Batman, disarmed him, and webbed him to a lightpost then I would consider that a win. You know how it is in the comics. Whenever the winner is looking down at the broken loser all tied up with nothing left to do since neither Spider-Man or Batman kill.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited June 2012
    Batman
    I just got back into reading Spider-Man and jumped on at Ends of the Earth. If I havent read that story I would have voted for Batman. Spider-Man thinks much more tactically then he used to. He wears the suit he needs to based on the situation. He has magnetic webbing, ice pellets, and sonic weapons. He also has just as much experience fighting villains as Batman does (Not as much training though). I get that Batman could deduce that Spider-Man has his spider-sense but he still cant negate it. Mentally he could but every weapon or trap would still set up the alarm for Spider-Man. Spider-Man still wins but not by much. Although some good points for Batman almost had me jump ships.
    So Spidey has gone the Batman route?! I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Batman finding a way to negate the Spider-Sense. It's been done by people in the past (Osborne, Hobgoblin, Tony Stark). Plus, Batman would not necessarily have to negate it. I recall one of my favorite Batman/Superman fights, Batman used Supes' enhanced senses against him. Don't think Batman cannot find a way to turn one of Spider-man's strength against him...or even create confusion as to the validity of each buzz occurring in ol' Spidey's noggin.

If you're going to say Cap could take down Spidey, than I'd argue Batman definitely could. Not because Batman bested Cap, but save for the enhanced abilities Cap has, Bats and Cap are basically the same type of character. Again, the big difference being is Batman is a dirty fighter.

You're going to say that Spidey would win because he would stop (which he's proven several times), Batman is the same type of character (this isn't Die Fledermaus.) Doesn't that define a hero?!

M

Now if we're talking Batman verses Snake-Eyes, Wolverine, or Thor (to name a few) I'd say the Dark Knight adds some losses to his stats. I still argue Batman could not have taken down the Hulk in the old Marvel/DC crossover.
    I never said Cap could take down Spider-Man. You are mixing what I'm saying with other posts. Also if you ever decide to watch a boxing then you would understand my point about past match ups not being good indicators because a counter puncher might fight better against a boxer that beat a boxer that had previously bested him. I never said Batman couldn't beat Spider-Man. I just said Spider-Man would win their first meeting/story arc. You are also creating a lot of circumstantial situations that would favor batman. I'm weighing out each heroes strengths and weaknesses and seeing how it plays out so don't attack my reasoning when I didn't attack yours. You also forget that Spider-Man is used to dirty fighters and he would also do whatever it takes to win. And I never said "Spidey would win because he would stop". I don't understand what you are trying to say there. Batman has also been bested in the past to. People tend to forget that.
    I just got back into reading Spider-Man and jumped on at Ends of the Earth. If I havent read that story I would have voted for Batman. Spider-Man thinks much more tactically then he used to. He wears the suit he needs to based on the situation. He has magnetic webbing, ice pellets, and sonic weapons. He also has just as much experience fighting villains as Batman does (Not as much training though). I get that Batman could deduce that Spider-Man has his spider-sense but he still cant negate it. Mentally he could but every weapon or trap would still set up the alarm for Spider-Man. Spider-Man still wins but not by much. Although some good points for Batman almost had me jump ships.
    So Spidey has gone the Batman route?! I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Batman finding a way to negate the Spider-Sense. It's been done by people in the past (Osborne, Hobgoblin, Tony Stark). Plus, Batman would not necessarily have to negate it. I recall one of my favorite Batman/Superman fights, Batman used Supes' enhanced senses against him. Don't think Batman cannot find a way to turn one of Spider-man's strength against him...or even create confusion as to the validity of each buzz occurring in ol' Spidey's noggin.

If you're going to say Cap could take down Spidey, than I'd argue Batman definitely could. Not because Batman bested Cap, but save for the enhanced abilities Cap has, Bats and Cap are basically the same type of character. Again, the big difference being is Batman is a dirty fighter.

You're going to say that Spidey would win because he would stop (which he's proven several times), Batman is the same type of character (this isn't Die Fledermaus.) Doesn't that define a hero?!

M

Now if we're talking Batman verses Snake-Eyes, Wolverine, or Thor (to name a few) I'd say the Dark Knight adds some losses to his stats. I still argue Batman could not have taken down the Hulk in the old Marvel/DC crossover.
    I never said Cap could take down Spider-Man. You are mixing what I'm saying with other posts. Also if you ever decide to watch a boxing then you would understand my point about past match ups not being good indicators because a counter puncher might fight better against a boxer that beat a boxer that had previously bested him. I never said Batman couldn't beat Spider-Man. I just said Spider-Man would win their first meeting/story arc. You are also creating a lot of circumstantial situations that would favor batman. I'm weighing out each heroes strengths and weaknesses and seeing how it plays out so don't attack my reasoning when I didn't attack yours. You also forget that Spider-Man is used to dirty fighters and he would also do whatever it takes to win. And I never said "Spidey would win because he would stop". I don't understand what you are trying to say there. Batman has also been bested in the past to. People tend to forget that.
    Whoa, calm down. I was lazy with my CGS app & merged several responses into that one. I'll edit it & insert quotes that specifically apply. I'm not attacking your reasoning there.

I will say, it's not too much of a leap to say Batman is more of a fighter than Spidey. Being Batman is mostly what Batman knows. Spidey is more than Spidey...he's Peter Parker too.

Now, your skilled fighter assess his/her opponents during a fight. I've been taking 5 months of kickboxing and that's some of what I'm learning. It's not out of the realm for Bats to assess Spidey during the fight & figure him out.

Besides your boxing reference, I'm more familiar with watching professional sports teams. A>B>C, doesn't mean A>C.

I've read too many great Batman stories to think he's unbeatable. I've provided a few match ups I think Batman would lose.

One of the faults of playing 10 steps ahead, you sometimes miss things right in front of you. Oh, and if a simple webbing of Batman counts as a loss, than Spidey would win. I'd presume if Spidey could web Batman within the first 2 minutes (and Batman cutting his way out right after doesn't count), than yes, a web-headed win.

I'll be sure to clean up my original post so it doesn't look as though I'm targeting you.

M

***EDIT: I got this fixed***

• Options
    Batman
    Batman is on a completely different level than spiderman, technically, procedurally, mentally, strategically, even physically if you factor in the effort Batman has gone to become a scholar of hand to hand combat.
    Batman wins barring ancillary circumstances such as poorly thought out plot lines, or failing to understand the nature of a well established character.
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    We both know that neither will ever concede so that leaves physically incapacitated or captured without possible means of escape. So if Spider-Man knocked out Batman, disarmed him, and webbed him to a lightpost then I would consider that a win. You know how it is in the comics. Whenever the winner is looking down at the broken loser all tied up with nothing left to do since neither Spider-Man or Batman kill.
    Then I'll stick with my theory.

Spider-Man would win the battle.

But Batman would win the war.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    Spider-Man

M

M

Whoa, calm down. I was lazy with my CGS app & merged several responses into that one. I'll edit it & insert quotes that specifically apply. I'm not attacking your reasoning there.

I will say, it's not too much of a leap to say Batman is more of a fighter than Spidey. Being Batman is mostly what Batman knows. Spidey is more than Spidey...he's Peter Parker too.

Now, your skilled fighter assess his/her opponents during a fight. I've been taking 5 months of kickboxing and that's some of what I'm learning. It's not out of the realm for Bats to assess Spidey during the fight & figure him out.

Besides your boxing reference, I'm more familiar with watching professional sports teams. A>B>C, doesn't mean A>C.

I've read too many great Batman stories to think he's unbeatable. I've provided a few match ups I think Batman would lose.

One of the faults of playing 10 steps ahead, you sometimes miss things right in front of you. Oh, and if a simple webbing of Batman counts as a loss, than Spidey would win. I'd presume if Spidey could web Batman within the first 2 minutes (and Batman cutting his way out right after doesn't count), than yes, a web-headed win.

I'll be sure to clean up my original post so it doesn't look as though I'm targeting you.

M

Its all good man. I just get worked up pretty easily sometimes. I get what your saying and I think its one of the closest match ups possible. And I agree that Batman is a better/more disciplined fighter. These are fiction characters so we will never have conclusive evidence until they do a DC vs. Marvel game.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    We're not talking about the same old Spider-Man anymore.

He's got gadgets now on par with Bats. He uses a wider variety of webbing. He has more than just his everday red and blue longjohns to choose from. He is now a martial artist.
    Wow... what the heck happened to Spiderman? This all sounds wierd and like something Spidey-fans would be upset with.

I havnt read Spiderman in many years so I cant compare this "Spider-Fu" (lol) master version to any Batman Ive known. All I can say is I cant imagine Batman losing a fight to Spiderman. Batman has beat opponants similar to and more powerful than Spiderman and any of Spidermans villains. Spiderman would eventually retreat because he wouldnt resort to killing, or Batman would withdraw long enough to regroup and re-engage with a winning plan for incapacitating Spidey.
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man took out all of the freaking X-Men combined.

If Batman doesn't know who Spidey is, and that the fight is coming, Spider-Man wins.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Batman
    here's the real question...

Alfred or Aunt Mae?
    No question. Alfred is Batman's other partner. He has a higher clearance than any of the Robins, even Dick (according to the new Batman #1). He can sneak tracers by Damian without him knowing (while intentionally letting him think that he did catch him - that scene in one of those Batman and Robin issues was wonderful).

May makes wheat cakes. When she found out Peter was Spider-Man (which I'm assuming she doesn't know anymore), she wrote letters to the Bugle telling them to stop picking on him.

This one isn't even a contest. I think Batman would beat Spider-Man but it would take a 6-issue story arc for him to do so. Alfred beats Aunt May in an 8-page backup.
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    @Batlaw - Some Spidey fans might be upset with the changes, I'm not one of them, characters have to evolve and Dan Slott has done an excellent job with Spider-Man.

Spidey's villians have been upping their game for awhile now and with the caliber of big bads that come with being an Avenger, you better be able to play with the big leaguers and he's been able to do just that.

Working at Horizon has allowed Peter to put his brain power to work on gadgets, costumes and new webbing for different situations and opponents. As far as brains go, Reed and Tony have now seen Pete solve problems that they could not.

Shang Chi trained Spidey in kung-fu when he lost his spider sense. Shang didn't just train Spidey, he trained Spidey into developing his own form, thus the spider-fu. The spider-fu takes full advantage of Peter's power set while compensating for the lack of his spider sense. However, he now has his spider sense back and knows a uniquely developed form of kung-fu, making him that much more formidable. If Batman was able to negate the spider-sense, Spidey has the kung-fu training to help compensate.

In all out straight up one-shot fight, I do believe Spider-Man "wins". Both have intangibles that will come into play that could make it go either way. Batman is still the better detective, the better technical fighter, the better tactician and will fight in ways that Peter's morallity can not match. But we have also seen Spider-Man overcome variables such as these as well. If the fight becomes an extended campaign, that Batman is traditionally more suited to win, I don't think that's a given anymore, in that instance Spider-Man is closer to being Batman's equal than people give him credit for.
  • Options
    Batman
    @Batlaw - Some Spidey fans might be upset with the changes, I'm not one of them, characters have to evolve and Dan Slott has done an excellent job with Spider-Man.

Spidey's villians have been upping their game for awhile now and with the caliber of big bads that come with being an Avenger, you better be able to play with the big leaguers and he's been able to do just that.

Working at Horizon has allowed Peter to put his brain power to work on gadgets, costumes and new webbing for different situations and opponents. As far as brains go, Reed and Tony have now seen Pete solve problems that they could not.

Shang Chi trained Spidey in kung-fu when he lost his spider sense. Shang didn't just train Spidey, he trained Spidey into developing his own form, thus the spider-fu. The spider-fu takes full advantage of Peter's power set while compensating for the lack of his spider sense. However, he now has his spider sense back and knows a uniquely developed form of kung-fu, making him that much more formidable. If Batman was able to negate the spider-sense, Spidey has the kung-fu training to help compensate.

In all out straight up one-shot fight, I do believe Spider-Man "wins". Both have intangibles that will come into play that could make it go either way. Batman is still the better detective, the better technical fighter, the better tactician and will fight in ways that Peter's morallity can not match. But we have also seen Spider-Man overcome variables such as these as well. If the fight becomes an extended campaign, that Batman is traditionally more suited to win, I don't think that's a given anymore, in that instance Spider-Man is closer to being Batman's equal than people give him credit for.
    I will say, this thread has gotten me more info about what's current in Spidey's life. I mean it's going to keep me away from the books, but it's updated me all the same. Thanks for the status on the character.

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Batman, because I like him more and really, thats what it comes down to.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    Spider-Man
    This is a non-issue in my opinion. Spider-Man is at least as bright as Batman, and Spider-Man has... what's the word for it? SUPER powers! Spider-Man could hit Batman with an automobile! What could Batman do? Perhaps try to hit Spider-Man with a moped? (I write "try" because Spidey would leap out of the way with his SUPER-fast reflexes.) Sorry, this is not a fair fight. A super-powered individual versus a guy who goes to the gym a lot? No contest. Batman goes down hard and fast.

Have a sequential-art kind of day!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited June 2012
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man, Spider-Man
    Kicks the ass of that Batman
    He has webs and spider-sense
    While bats has deduction and common sense
    Look out, round one goes to Spider-Man!

Is he strong? Let me explain
    He could probably take out a train
    Batman really is no slouch
    But in a fistfight, he's goin' "ouch".
    Hey there, round two goes to Spider-Man!

Bats has gadgets galore
    And is smart to a tee.
    But Spidey's got some in store
    and can go on toe-to-toe intellectually

Spider-Man, Spider-Man
    Can match Bats in whatever he can
    But in strength and agility, he excels
    And he won't buy what Batman sells

Look out! This fight goes to Spider-Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

• Options
    Batman
    Batman, because I like him more and really, thats what it comes down to.
    This is probably the clearest, most solid reasoning for the victor (regardless of who person votes for) on this thread.
    This is a non-issue in my opinion. Spider-Man is at least as bright as Batman, and Spider-Man has... what's the word for it? SUPER powers! Spider-Man could hit Batman with an automobile! What could Batman do? Perhaps try to hit Spider-Man with a moped? (I write "try" because Spidey would leap out of the way with his SUPER-fast reflexes.) Sorry, this is not a fair fight. A super-powered individual versus a guy who goes to the gym a lot? No contest. Batman goes down hard and fast.

Have a sequential-art kind of day!
    I think you strongly underestimate who and what Batman is. A fight here wouldn't be who could toss a vehicle. It would come down to more. Whether or not you think Batman or Spider-man would win the fight, it's not going to come to something as simple. Each character has fought someone of superior skill (whether it be raw power, cerebral, or technology) and have often won the fight. This is more of a fair fight then you're giving credit to.

M.

• Options
    Batman
    @WetRats - That is all true but you cannot even use all those old school Spidey "weaknesses" anymore. Sure Bats can get his identity, but Peter hasn't worked for the Bugle for a long time. Bruce could try to buy out Horizon however I don't see Max selling out or even merging with a competitor like Wayne Enterprises. Aunt May is not reliant on social security. I'm sure there is something out there that Bruce can use to get into Pete's head such as the deal with Mephisto and Gwen's death, but you can't use all of the old staples anymore.
    Rereading some of these posts, I found this one again. So does that mean Spider-man has NO weakness? Everyone (no matter what people lead you to believe) has a weakness. Even Batman. He's just really good at finding that in other people.

M.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Spider-Man, Spider-Man

Bats has gadgets galore
    And is smart to a tee.

Spider-Man, Spider-Man

I love you. I laughed and laughed and my dog looked at me like I was crazy and left the room. Then I laughed some more.
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    Spider-Man
    I love you, too. I laughed, and my dog laughed!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Spider-Man
    @Matt - Spidey does indeed have weaknesses. I wasn't trying to make him out to be above and beyond what he is. The character has evolved and all of the old staples that one would associate with Spidey just don't apply anymore. Aunt May isn't living in New York, she's in Boston and Peter doesn't have to worry like he used to about her. He doesn't have a girlfriend anymore to be kidknapped or threatened. So on and so forth.

The spider sense is just as much a weakness as it is an advantage. Rather than negate it, Bats best bet would be to overload it because Spidey can't just turn it off and on.

Given how Spider-Man has grown, these two are more evenly matched than in the past. I still give Batman the edge in some areas but it isn't anything that Spidey hasn't seen before.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man, Spider-Man

Bats has gadgets galore
    And is smart to a tee.

Spider-Man, Spider-Man

I love you. I laughed and laughed and my dog looked at me like I was crazy and left the room. Then I laughed some more.
    Thank you.

All part of the service from you friendly neighborhood DoctorDoom.
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    All part of the service from you friendly neighborhood DoctorDoom.
    That's all well and good... but where's my money, honey?

• Options
    Spider-Man
    It really just boils down to who's comic it's in.

Both characters have beaten far more powerful opponents.

We can't really use 'but batman beats superman', we all know that in a real fight Bats is totally fried in that fight from 20 miles away by heat vision while superman flies close to the speed of light and totally undetectable by any gadget Bruce can invent.

Of course Spiderman has lost to the Stiltman (ouch that's got to hurt).

They'd both lose to Squirrel Girl anyway.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Batman
    Where Batman is concerned, super-powers are irrelevant. I give you the "He's Just a Man!" Morrison JLA run at the beginning of that series, as well as the Tower of Babel run shortly after he left. If he has time to analyze the situation, he's got you. Remember the first commandment: No matter the situation, Batman always wins. :)

Would Spidey give him that time, though? If we're calling this their first meeting, Spidey has the advantage as long as he can take Bats out quickly, but I would count on Batman to have a counter for everything. Webbing? No doubt bats has something in the utility belt to neutralize it. "Nice gadget" he thinks to himself. "Gonna have to have Alfred make one for me sometime." Then he'd spray that neutralizer all over Spidey's hands preventing him from shooting any more of it. No more web slinging.

Leaping around and using the ol' Spidey sense? That'll get you pretty far except Batman is usually five steps ahead of you in any fight. Once he figures out that Spidey has some sort of sixth sense, he'll change his tactics accordingly. "Kid's good," he thinks. "He's got some kind of instinct that told him to duck that batarang I threw. Unfortunately it didn't tell him to do that AND avoid the gas-bomb I threw under him while he was ducking it."

And heaven forbid Spidey use his greatest weapon - his mouth. One too many panels of Spidey making fun of Batman and you'll get one of those patented "Shut....UP!" panels where Batman gives Peter a Guy Gardner a la JLI from the 80s.

The fun part would be the aftermath. Bats standing over Spidey. He takes the mask off. "Alfred, give me a visual identity on this kid. Parker? Peter Parker? Bruce Wayne is going to want to have words with a kid who knows his chemistry as good as he does." Then he puts the mask back on and disappears into the night.
  • Options
    Spider-Man
    Why does everyone think Bats has something in his utility belt (apart from shark repellent) that can over come everything. Obviously it's just a MacGuffin that can do anything, anytime the plot needs it.

BTW it's been mentioned recently that he sticks his mask to his face now the same way he clings to walls. I'm not sure if having Bats tell him to SHUT UP would work on him, he talks more when nervous and intimidated.

The fun part would be were Spidey stands over a beaten Bats and goes "Bruce Wayne! Money, Girls and a super hero! Some guys have all the luck"
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited June 2012
    Spider-Man
    Why does everyone think Bats has something in his utility belt (apart from shark repellent) that can over come everything. Obviously it's just a MacGuffin that can do anything, anytime the plot needs it.

It wouldn't be hard to believe that Batman has about 50% of the things that I keep in my garage in a miniaturized form. And I have a bottle of goo gone in there somewhere (sounds worse typing it out) so it's a coin toss if he actually has some.

I still think Spider-man wins though