Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Need some advice on New 52 titles...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Batman
    Batwing
    Red hood
    Catwoman
    Legion of super heroes
    Legion lost (but not so much now that defalco is writing)
    Night force
    Batman and robin
    Supergirl
    I am with ya on Red Hood and Legion, second w/Murray you have great taste. I also recommend Flash (the art is becoming my favorite w/Rocafort's) and GL (although the art is great, Manhke on the Indigo Tribe was killer, the story fleshed out into four issues felt a bit loooooooooooooooooooong.)
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    Here's a list of what I tried out, and what I think so far:

Aquaman: I was expecting it to be all humor and action. Was pleasantly surprised by how heartfelt it could be.

Batman and Robin: REALLY liked it. Mr. Nobody is scary, and I'm mad about the Russian Batman dying. Makes me want to read Batman Incorporated, but I hate Morrison's writing.

Batwing: REALLY liked it. Like the idea of him being a cop and the idea of Africa's own superhero team.

Blue Beetle: I like the IDEA of it, but it was OK. What happened to Tony Bedard?

Captain Atom: Cannot say how much I loved the artwork on this book. Best art I've seen in YEARS. I just stared at the pages, which is something I haven't done with a comic in a long while. I LOVE how Cap is done up differently from the rest of the world art-wise. Writing was OK.

Demon Knights: Loved it. I just hope they won't all be anti-heroes. Art is beautiful. Was a bit darker than I like though (baby scene).

Flash: Haven't read yet.

Green Lantern: New Guardians: REALLY enjoyed it. This is the Tony Bedard I love. I'm a big Kyle Raynor fan.

Nightwing: Haven't read yet.

Red Hood and the Outlaws: Haven't read yet.

Swamp Thing: Haven't read yet.

Animal Man: I got the first trade, but it's a future Christmas present, so can't read it yet :(

World's Finest: Didn't care for it very much. This pretty much clinches I'm not a very big fan of Paul Levitz's writing. I was also pretty confused by their plan. Are they going back to their world, or saving Earth 1 from something? I was sure Karen wanted to go back to Earth 2, but this line confused me "I've already lost one world. I can't stand the thought of a second one being blown apart."

So far it will be hard to pick which books to stick with :(
  • Options
    Update:

Read Flash #1 last night. Art was absolutely beautiful, but I felt the writing was pretty generic. Not sure if this one will make my list.

Anyone want to talk me off the ledge? :)
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Update:

Read Flash #1 last night. Art was absolutely beautiful, but I felt the writing was pretty generic. Not sure if this one will make my list.

Nope you pretty well pegged it. The art is amazing and the writing is okay. The first arc took FOREVER to wrap up. Now things are clicking along better. Grod was awesome.
  • Options
    Update:

Nope you pretty well pegged it. The art is amazing and the writing is okay. The first arc took FOREVER to wrap up. Now things are clicking along better. Grod was awesome.
    So now I wonder if Flash is worth keeping in the 8 titles I follow monthly. Well, I still need to read a few more of the #1's I got before I make a final decision.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Update:

Nightwing: Really enjoyed it. This one is on the short list.

Red Hood and the Outlaws: Was pretty good. Better than the Teen Titans previews I read. Weird that Roy acts like he doesn't know Starfire at all.

Swamp Thing: I'm surprised with how little I cared for this one. It was creepy, and well written, but something just didn't do it for me :(

So my final votes on the books I tried:

Aquaman: Loved.
    Demon Knights: Loved.
    Batman and Robin: Really liked.
    Green Lantern: New Guardians: REALLY liked.
    Batwing: Really liked.
    Nightwing: Really liked.
    Flash: Liked.
    Red Hood and the Outlaws: Liked.
    Justice League: Liked
    Blue Beetle: Okay.
    Captain Atom: Okay
    Swamp Thing: Okay.
    World's Finest: Didn't like.
    Animal Man: I got the first trade, but it's a future Christmas present, so can't read it yet

So financially, we're looking at (comixology 1-month-later prices):

Batman: $2.99
    Justice League $2.99
    Earth 2: $1.99
    Aquaman: $1.99
    Demon Knights: $1.99
    Batman and Robin: $1.99
    Green Lantern: New Guardians: $1.99
    Batwing: $1.99
    Nightwing: $1.99
    Flash: $1.99
    Red Hood and the Outlaws: $1.99

I'm about $4 over. I might drop New Guardians, based on the fear of GL crossovers, and Flash, and I was pretty underwhelmed by it. Still trying to decide. I can always stick to the ones I absolutely loved, and rotate the rest on a bi-monthly basis.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Nope I stuck with Flash to about issue #4 purely for the art alone. Thinking fast made no sense to me as even close to an interesting premise... he would have to think super fast or else how the heck does he not kill himself when moving at Flash speeds?! Then taking it a step farther where he then has pre-cognition and can somehow see the future it just lost any appeal it had left for me. The art is ridiculous, probably the best of the New 52 IMO. Real watercolors and some of the coolest page layouts I've seen in my life. It is worth owning a few for the art and then move on, so if you are on the ledge just jump off there isn't much in them to live for.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I think you've got a good list, that is probably what I would have on my list if it wasn't split between DC and Marvel

though I might swap Batwing for Batgirl, Batwing just didn't grab me and I like Babs
  • Options
    I think you've got a good list, that is probably what I would have on my list if it wasn't split between DC and Marvel

though I might swap Batwing for Batgirl, Batwing just didn't grab me and I like Babs
    Batgirl has been really solid. agreed.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited July 2012
    from the list of titles, I'd recommend:

Batman (solid, if a bit overrated, Batman book w/really nice art)

Batman & Robin (surprisingly solid, if a bit underrated, Batman book w/decent art)

Flash (I like the Manipul art quite a bit, and the story's been ok).

Animal Man (an interesting, if a bit slow moving book) (and realyl a companion of sorts to Swamp Thing)

Justice League (decent superhero action - seems like it's perhaps THE core book of the nuDCU).

I also read:

Swamp Thing (similar to Animal Man, in my assessment).

Green Lantern (decent superhero book w/fine art, but I'm close to dropping it).

Action Comics (best done Supes, in a while, but I'm always nervous on a Morrison book - it my jump up and bite you on the weird bone at any time!).

Batwoman (I'm soso on the writing, but when JHWilliams III is drawing it, it's the most beautiful book being put out today).

JL Dark (decent artwork, ok story - Jeff Lemire is on it, so I'm on for a while more).

All in all, pretty impressive for a lifetime Marvel guy! :^)

e
    L nny

• Options
    e
    L nny,

i've been digging the indigo tribe stuff in GL. Not doing it for you, huh? too bad.

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    @random73 its not bad. and overall it's not a bad book - I'm still with it. It's just not exciting me overall. But I've never been a giant GL fan. I kind of got sucked in on the Sinestro Corps War wave, and been riding it ever since. And the latest stuff seems a bit less compelling than those issues. I'd say if they ever replaced Mahnke w/a mediocre or bad artist, that's all it would take to get me off the book. So for now, still with it.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Im curious about a couple of upcoming teaser images ive seen with a "death of superman" type melting GL symbol and the new GL with a pistol and a Mr. Terrific "T" across his mask. it almost looks like Luke Cage as a GL. I may be a sucker but they have at least got me for this one.
  • Options
    croshincroshin Posts: 5
    edited July 2012
    I'm up to issue seven on Red Hood, Blue Beetle, Teen Titans, and New Guardians. so far I like everything going on, but the story for Red Hood is my favorite. one comic I would add, and this is only if you like GL comics, but Red Lanterns. I haven't seen anyone else read it yet, but seven issues in, and they've got me till after October when this third army business is revealed