Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

SDCC 2012!!!!

3 weeks from tomorrow I take off from NYC to SDCC!!! My first one!! Totally psyched! How about some comments on strategy/plans for this year's show/meetups/etc?

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn at the Bay - 1.1 miles from the show. Flying in Weds around 2pm, and leaving Monday morning.

e
L nny

Comments

• Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Man, it IS only three weeks away. Time flies. Ay caramba. I'm at the Sheraton Suites, a mile or so north of the show. Decided to stay a little farther out this time and see how it compares. I get in Wednesday around 10:30 am, and take the redeye out late Sunday night.

Too bad the Padres are on the road (as they usually are during the show)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited June 2012
    @kfreeman - This is off topic but what you mentioned about the Padres being out of town during SDCC, that is what I liked about going to Gen Con when it was in Milwaukee, you could usually catch a Brewers game or head south to catch the White Sox or Cubs and I really miss that. Although the last couple times I went to Indy for Gen Con the Colts had a pre-season game going on.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Petco has been appropriated for the con. There's a walking dead event there this year.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    @Greg yeah I always check if the baseball teams are in town when I visit a MLB city for a con or anything else, for that much. Got to see the Nats in DC last week.
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    I'll be running away from zombies at petco park.

I'll be at SDCC, I'll be at the Hyatt.

Tilted Kilt on Wednesday night after preview night. That's the place to be. It's tradition at this point!
  • Options
    I'll be At the kilt for sure.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    This is the first year since 2002 that I've decided not to go. I fear I am going to have severe con-withdrawl. :(
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited June 2012
    Man, it IS only three weeks away. Time flies. Ay caramba. I'm at the Sheraton Suites, a mile or so north of the show. Decided to stay a little farther out this time and see how it compares. I get in Wednesday around 10:30 am, and take the redeye out late Sunday night.

Too bad the Padres are on the road (as they usually are during the show)
    Kevin, Tony and I are thinking of taking a road trip up to LA to meet up with a friend of mine and catch the Friday night Dodgers game - you're welcome to join us, I think (the "think" part stems from the fact that we might be staying with my friend, and can't be inviting people to his house w/o checking first! OTOH, we might just be driving back after the game - Tony wants to make sure to catch the Aragones panel Sat. morning.

e
    L nny

• Options
    So any meet-ups planned for SDCC? I hear there's a dinner following the podcast panel on Thursday. Anyone here going to that? Other stuff??

e
    L nny
  • Options
    here's a list of the panels that look interesting to me - NOT what I want to see (especially since many conflict w/each other and/or are on fri afternoon when I'm planning to be away):

Thursday, July 12
    10:30am Battlestar: So Say We All
    12:30pm Spotlight on Mark Schultz's Unlikely Career
    2:00pm Before and After: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Star Trek: TNG's Journey into High Definition
    2:00pm The Sergio and Mark Show
    3:00pm Graphic Novels: The Bookstore Crowd
    3:30pm The Future of Superhero Studies
    3:45pm The Walking Dead
    4:00pm Abstract Studio: Terry Moore
    5:30pm Batman's Biggest Secret: The Bill Finger Story
    6:00pm The 7th Annual Comics Podcasting All-Stars
    Friday, July 13
    10:00am Remembering Jerry Robinson and Joe Simon
    11:00am Siegel and Shuster and Finger
    12:00pm CBLDF: The History of Comics Censorship
    1:25pm AMC's The Walking Dead
    2:45pm Game of Thrones Panel and Q&A session
    34:30pm 50th Anniversary of Marvel Superheroes
    4:45pm The Writers' Room with Jonathan Ross
    5:00pm Old Masters Art Lessons for Comic Artists
    6:30pm Spotlight on Jeff Lemire
    6:45pm AMC's Breaking Bad-
    8:00pm Syfy Presents the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards
    Saturday, July 14
    10:00am That 70s Panel
    11:45am Quick Draw!
    12:45pm DC Comics: Before Watchmen
    2:00pm Will Eisner and the Graphic Novel
    3:00pm A Wrinkle in Time
    8:30pm HBO Presents the Comic-Con Masquerade
    Sunday, July 15
    10:00am The Annual Jack Kirby Tribute Panel
    12:30pm BBC America's Doctor Who
    12:30pm Darwyn Cooke and The Man Called Parker
    1:30pm Spotlight on Alison Bechdel
    2:15pm Buffy Turns 20: Celebrating 20 Years of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

of this list, nothing is a MUST see, but what I think I want to see are:

Thursday, July 12
    4:00pm Abstract Studio: Terry Moore
    6:00pm The 7th Annual Comics Podcasting All-Stars
    Friday, July 13
    11:00am Siegel and Shuster and Finger
    Saturday, July 14
    10:00am That 70s Panel
    11:45am Quick Draw!
    Sunday, July 15
    10:00am The Annual Jack Kirby Tribute Panel
    12:30pm Darwyn Cooke and The Man Called Parker

e
    L nny
  • Options
    steve_bryantsteve_bryant Posts: 96
    edited July 2012
    I'll be set up in as Atomic Tiki Studio in Small Press, M-14. Come out and say hi! I'll be alongside Jim Heffron of Lawdog Comics (M-15), and Chris Murrin, who's edited and/or written for both Atomic Tiki and Lawdog will be there, as well!

Additionally, I'm taking preorders (limited to 10) for 9x12 inked sketches that I'll draw at the show.* $50 gets you the character of your choice. I'm not sure how many slots will be open at the show, so slotting ahead of time really helps me schedule.

*Due to a ton of work, and being behind on a couple of commissions, I'm not taking preorders for artwork done prior to the con.
  • Options
    So any meet-ups planned for SDCC? I hear there's a dinner following the podcast panel on Thursday. Anyone here going to that? Other stuff??

e
    L nny
    Here's my "event calendar":

Wednesday - Tilted Kilt after preview night. It's tradition! Check the address for Tilted Kilt (310 10th Ave) before you leave for it, in the past Google Maps has gotten the location wrong.

Thursday - Podcasting Panel, and dinner after. Talk to Bob.

Saturday - Drink 'N Swap at the Hyatt, organized by @Trev. Bring some trades you don't want, and spread the comic love. Or just show up and hang out. You don't need to bring anything to enjoy the fun. Also, the Hyatt is a great "convention bar", so lots of good people watching. I'm staying at the Hyatt this year, so if anybody is coming straight from the con and wants to stash some stuff in my hotel room for the evening while we're at the bar, feel free.

• Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    I'll be set up in as Atomic Tiki Studio in Small Press, M-14. Come out and say hi! I'll be alongside Jim Heffron of Lawdog Comics (M-15), and Chris Murrin, who's edited and/or written for both Atomic Tiki and Lawdog will be there, as well!
    It's true. I'll be hanging onto Steve and Jim's coattails intermittently during show hours and consistently after hours. :)

• Options
    Okay guys, I'm thinking of going next year and I just want to know a few details. Main thing is where can you buy the tickets from if you are not at the con? When does this usually happen? What is the rough price of accommodation? Is there any package deals between tickets & hotels? Is it common to share a room? How far out do or can you guys book flights?

Any insight from you experiences from this year or previous years would be helpful.

It will be SDCC or Emerald or Heroes for my first American con
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Okay guys, I'm thinking of going next year and I just want to know a few details. Main thing is where can you buy the tickets from if you are not at the con? When does this usually happen? What is the rough price of accommodation? Is there any package deals between tickets & hotels? Is it common to share a room? How far out do or can you guys book flights?

Any insight from you experiences from this year or previous years would be helpful.

It will be SDCC or Emerald or Heroes for my first American con
    There are no ticket sales on-site at the con this year. They are doing something online in Aug for current attendees. Tickets for the general public go on sale in Feb or March and sell out within hours (significantly less if you want 4 day). Keep an eye on their site.

Con hotel rates tend to be $250-$350 a night, maybe a few outliers from there. Non-con rate is a crapshoot, especially close to the con where pretty much every room is reserved for the con. If you are willing to drive in or take the shuttle, you can get a marginally better deal and if you miss out expect to pay closer to $400/night in town. I used to book a room at the Hyatt in like Jan or Feb as a hedge, but couldn't even do that this year. Basically looked at rooms as soon as they were avail on the hotel website.

There are sometimes tix+hotel package deals. There wasn't this year, but there were the year before. Usually they are tied to staying in Mission Valley and taking the shuttle in. This year, CCI helped out mission valley by selling 'early bird' packages that were pre-paid and included breakfast at a few of the hotels in mission valley. It wasn't that good a deal bec. it was only marginally cheaper than just booking a room yourself and not having to pay anything in advance -- getting you more flexibility. For folks who were going to stay in Mission Valley regardless, I guess it was an ok deal.

Lots of people share rooms. The rate of the hotels pretty much dictates it for a ton of folks. It creates a flood on hotel resources though, so be prepared to be patient. When a hotel that usually has 60-70% occupancy and most of those 1-2 people per room is flooded with 100% occupanncy and 2-6 people per room (many not listed on the reservation), it can create problems.

I book my flights pretty much as soon as I know I'm going and they are available. Usually in Jan or Feb. You can get good prices then, too. Though you may occassionally miss a sale.

It's such an expensive trip, I like spreading it out over the year in terms of cost. Year before I buy my tix ($175 this year), then in Jan I book my Flight ($300-$400), then the hotel deposit (this year it was two days -- $600 with taxes), and by the time the con actually arrives, the only thing I have to 'pay' for at the time is the remainder of the hotel. Plus all the fun things -- books, food, fun.

• Options
    Yup, it's definitely expensive. But very much worth it.

There are some deals to be had, if you are willing to put in the time and be a little patient. In the past, I have stayed at the Sheraton by the airport for a little over $200/night. There is a shuttle from all the major hotel areas to and from the con, and they run very frequently, so taking the shuttle isn't too painful.

I'm in the same boat as Trev, I've paid off my hotel deposit, and I've set aside money for travel and parking. I'll just have to pay off the balance of my hotel after the con is over.
  • Options

e
    L nny
    Here's my "event calendar":

Wednesday - Tilted Kilt after preview night. It's tradition! Check the address for Tilted Kilt (310 10th Ave) before you leave for it, in the past Google Maps has gotten the location wrong.

Thursday - Podcasting Panel, and dinner after. Talk to Bob.

Saturday - Drink 'N Swap at the Hyatt, organized by @Trev. Bring some trades you don't want, and spread the comic love. Or just show up and hang out. You don't need to bring anything to enjoy the fun. Also, the Hyatt is a great "convention bar", so lots of good people watching. I'm staying at the Hyatt this year, so if anybody is coming straight from the con and wants to stash some stuff in my hotel room for the evening while we're at the bar, feel free.

Thanks @BadDeacon! All on my radar now. Does the Tilted Kilt crowd stay there drinking into late evening? Or is it just a dinner thing?

Is there generally a regular late night place where people hang out Or its all over the place?

e
    L nny
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    @ctowner1, tilted kilt usually runs well past 11. I think to midnight or one.

The Bayfront or the Hyatt are the best hanging out bars. I expect I'll be in those plenty. Maybe @BadDeacon and I should switch rooms . . . :)

There are some good daytime spots too. Tin Fish is one of my favorite places to hang in the middle of the day. It's right across from the con, good food and beer, and great people watching.
  • Options
    cool @trev. I think everyone going should switch their avatars to photos for the next week (I did it! you, too!) so we'll have a better chance of recognizing you (I'm terrible w/faces though - so don't think I'm ignoring anyone whom I walk by w/a blank stare!) /:)

e
    L nny
  • Options
    @ctowner1 just for you, Lenny, I change my avatar from my usual Dr. Solar Jones.

I remember staying at the Kilt somewhat later. People start trickling in between 8:30 and 9:30 usually, since the hall is open till 9 on preview night, then we get dinner, drinks, chat, talk comics, and what not, so getting out of there between 11 and 12 is possible.

In addition to the Bayfront and the Hyatt, I'd like to check out the Trickster bar one of the nights.

Sorry, @Trev, I'm not trading rooms :)
  • Options
    Awesome, @BadDeacon! You're a handsome fellow! =D>

e
    L nny
  • Options
    @ctowner1 just for you, Lenny, I change my avatar from my usual Dr. Solar Jones.

I remember staying at the Kilt somewhat later. People start trickling in between 8:30 and 9:30 usually, since the hall is open till 9 on preview night, then we get dinner, drinks, chat, talk comics, and what not, so getting out of there between 11 and 12 is possible.

In addition to the Bayfront and the Hyatt, I'd like to check out the Trickster bar one of the nights.

Sorry, @Trev, I'm not trading rooms :)
    well, then can I at least give you my hyatt number? ;)

• Options
    I'm also charming, and have a sensitive side ;)

@Trev, sure, no problem. I assume that is a "frequent customer" thing? Will that work? They won't say, "you're not Trevor!!" when I try to check in and cancel my reservation for trying to cheat the system, forcing me to sleep in my truck every night?

• Options
    I'm also charming, and have a sensitive side ;)

@Trev, sure, no problem. I assume that is a "frequent customer" thing? Will that work? They won't say, "you're not Trevor!!" when I try to check in and cancel my reservation for trying to cheat the system, forcing me to sleep in my truck every night?

Yeah, I don't know if it will work. I've got status though. Worth a try. You might have to 'add me' to the room.
  • Options

There are no ticket sales on-site at the con this year. They are doing something online in Aug for current attendees. Tickets for the general public go on sale in Feb or March and sell out within hours (significantly less if you want 4 day). Keep an eye on their site.
    That doesn't give much time for those who are not in-country to book and get there, that is if you aren't attending this year. Plus, wouldn't that max out ticket sales before the general public can get at them? It sounds a lot like becoming preferred members with ticketting companies to get pre-sale tickets before the general public get them.
  • Options
    Can't wait to see you guys! And gals! So, Trev, we're doing the swap at the Hyatt this year? I'm going to make a point of bringing some cool stuff this year for that.
  • Options

That doesn't give much time for those who are not in-country to book and get there, that is if you aren't attending this year. Plus, wouldn't that max out ticket sales before the general public can get at them? It sounds a lot like becoming preferred members with ticketting companies to get pre-sale tickets before the general public get them.
    It all happens online. They have a system called member-id that limits ticket sales to one per person, so scalpers can't buy up a ton of them, AND they limit the number of tickets that they'll sell to current attendees.

• Options
    Can't wait to see you guys! And gals! So, Trev, we're doing the swap at the Hyatt this year? I'm going to make a point of bringing some cool stuff this year for that.
    Awesome! See you at the Hyatt Scott. I'm sure we'll hang out more than that.
  • Options

It all happens online. They have a system called member-id that limits ticket sales to one per person, so scalpers can't buy up a ton of them, AND they limit the number of tickets that they'll sell to current attendees.

Thanks @trev. Is it on the comic con website?