Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1246 Talkback: The Amazing Spider-Man Movie Review

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited July 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
For Spider-Man's 50th Anniversary year we get a reboot of the movie franchise. Chris, Dani and Ryan from Wild Pig Comics join us to talk all about 'The Amazing Spider-Man' film. (1:06:24)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Just started the episode, but I like the dates for the Wild Pig opening sale. It's a birthday present to myself! :) (albeit a couple days late)
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Good review y'all! I liked how overall that people liked it, but people had disagreements about some things. I saw it two weeks ago (here in Japan) and had to wait awhile to hear comments from CGS. I thought it was okay overall, but hearing you discussing it made me like it more because of the little things you caught that I didn't really notice consciously. I liked the web shooters, the identity reveals, the costume, the Stan Lee cameo, and...the fact that there were plenty of loose ends left to be tied up by the next two movies. Yeah, the Lizard just didn't look like a lizard, but that didn't bother me so much. The Godzilla and mayor of Tokyo comments made me think that perhaps Sony still has a lot of influence in the making of these movies (it being released in Japan first reflects that!)...so I hope they will be more hands-off with Webb than they were with Raimi by the end of the trilogy. Oh, I saw it in 3D, but like with Ryan it was only a time-based decision ( it was the earliest showing that they had). Say does anybody know if McDonald's is doing AMS movie Happy Meal toy promotions there in the U.S? It's a big deal over here right now...
  • Options
    GonzogooseGonzogoose Posts: 66
    I was one of those in the camp of wondering why a reboot was needed too, but like some of you, I wound up liking it better in ways than the Raimi films. Excellent cast, loved Gwen especially. Garfield surprised me, and while I agree Lizard needed a snout, I didn't mind him as much as I thought I might. Overall, I had a lot of fun with the film. It was not going to measure up to something like Avengers, but it far exceeded my expectations.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    No McDonald's happy meals. I don't t
    Good review y'all! I liked how overall that people liked it, but people had disagreements about some things. I saw it two weeks ago (here in Japan) and had to wait awhile to hear comments from CGS. I thought it was okay overall, but hearing you discussing it made me like it more because of the little things you caught that I didn't really notice consciously. I liked the web shooters, the identity reveals, the costume, the Stan Lee cameo, and...the fact that there were plenty of loose ends left to be tied up by the next two movies. Yeah, the Lizard just didn't look like a lizard, but that didn't bother me so much. The Godzilla and mayor of Tokyo comments made me think that perhaps Sony still has a lot of influence in the making of these movies (it being released in Japan first reflects that!)...so I hope they will be more hands-off with Webb than they were with Raimi by the end of the trilogy. Oh, I saw it in 3D, but like with Ryan it was only a time-based decision ( it was the earliest showing that they had). Say does anybody know if McDonald's is doing AMS movie Happy Meal toy promotions there in the U.S? It's a big deal over here right now...
    No Happy Meals.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    The Tokyo comment was a Leary ad-lib. The Lizard had no snout so it would be easier for the actor to speak.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited July 2012
    For whatever it's worth, I was interviewed by a journalist from the Christian Science Monitor to offer some comments on the film:

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/2012/0706/Why-Spider-Man-is-pulling-in-moviegoers.-Again

Also, I posted this on another thread but I thought I'd add it here too in case you missed it:
    What was left on the cutting room floor?"

http://www.vulture.com/2012/07/what-was-cut-from-the-amazing-spider-man.html

I assume that the "lizard serum" will perhaps appear again in the sequels. Why couldn't Norman Osborn inject himself with an advanced version that will turn him into a "goblin?"
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited July 2012
    Good movie. For me it was better than Rami's first and third movies and was as good if not better than the second one.

Norman Osborn's "dying" - What if this is more metaphorical rather than physical. Maybe Norman has already tried some experimental treatment and the Goblin persona is already there, trying to take over and because he is not in the movie we don't get to see that until the second or third movie. It's a stretch of a theory.

Peter's lack of money problems - Maybe his parents had life insuarnce. Lack of money is a staple of the Spider-Man mythos, they could have touched on it somewhow but it didn't really bother me.

Best Stan Lee cameo to date.

End scene - The way the shadowed guy was fidgeting grabbing at his elbows suggests to me this is somebody clearly not playing with a full deck and can't see it being villians such as Electro, Chameleon or Mysterio. The voice might not be a "Norman Osborn" voice but I thought it made a slightly decent "goblin" voice. I read articles saying that it was not Norman, but I've learned that you can't always trust that stuff even when it's coming from the production team. The Goblin and Jackel are my first two choices with Doc Oc being a distant third. They can bring Jackel into it without it turning it into a clone fest.
  • Options
    I loved this movie, and I was in the Jamie camp where I thought it wasn't needed. I never cared for the 1st or 3rd movie of the Raimi run, though I loved the 2nd one. This I would give a 4.5 out of 5. The only thing holding me back from a 5 out of 5 was that I agree on the Lizard I really wanted a snout and the ragged clothing look was awesome when they did it (needed it always there), and the "With great power..." quote needed to be in there. Like was mentioned, I thought it was going to be in the voicemail. It would have been perfect there. It's not an outdated or overused phrase in my eyes, and never will be.

The "where did he get industrial strength webbing" discussion confused me. He came across it in the lab and found several cartridges of it. He took one or two with him. He was proven to be super smart throughout the movie, so he could have reverse engineered it. Now if asked where he got the money to buy the materials he needed for it, that I can understand questioning. He also had access to the labs once he started working for Curt Connors, so he also could have snagged cartridges here and there.

I personally thought he did come across geeky, which I don't think Toby MacGuire ever did in my eyes. This was the scrawny kid at school who took photos and few people paid attention to except to pick on.

Not a huge fan of the costume change around the arms and hands, but I honestly rarely noticed it in he movie. Loved the quips while fighting and the fun the character brought. I didn't think it felt long at all, and when I saw the running time before going to the theater, I thought it would feel that way.

I look forward to more in the future, and I agree I hope they save the Green Goblin fr the 3rd movie, but who should be in the next one (assuming they don't take a character that was done in the Raimi run)? Maybe do the Scorpion being hired by Jameson story? Or Mysterio? Or Electro?

My ratings for the Spider-Man movies are:
    Spider-Man = 3 out of 5
    Spider-Man 2 = 4 out of 5
    Spider-Man 3 = 2 out of 5
    Amazing Spider-Man = 4.5 out of 5

Great show as always, guys!!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Adam, I hear how you justified Peter telling Gwen he is Spider-man because he is a modern, adolescent kid with something to help him get the girl. I think that how you justified his reveal is an example of how important the words "With Great Power...Comes Great Responsibility." He should be responsible.

Also, I think the ending of him walking away from MJ in the Raimi movie helped emphasized how he isolates himself with this burden. Uncle Ben, Harry, to some extent Norman & Aunt May, all "paid a price" for Peter being Spider-man. He is just trying to save MJ from that same fate.

M.
  • Options
    DavidAkersDavidAkers Posts: 44
    I'm in the camp of those who didn't care for it.

1. The CGI, and not just that used for the Lizard, was horrendous. None of the webbing looked natural and the Lizard was obviously wrong.
    2. The end fight looked basically like they designed it with the video game in mind. When I watch a scene and feel like I'm watching a video game rather than a movie, you've done something wrong.
    3. I would have thought that, since they appeared to be trying to make a movie that is more for kids, they could have prevented Leary from saying "ass." It was the only real "swear" word in the thing, and they pointed it out by having the kid comment on it, so it *really* stood out.
    4. I just had a hard time seeing Garfield as Peter Parker. Some of the school scenes were okay, but he just doesn't look like I imagine Parker to look. And I'm not a big fan of the hoodie look anyway.
    5. Stan Lee's cameo...why do they insist on interrupting dramatic fight scenes with these moronic attempts at humor scenes just to show Stan Lee for the 593rd time?

There were a couple things I just had to accept, like Spider-Man standing without his mask in a spotlight totally unconcerned with his secret identity, and his revealing his identity to mollify the kid.

Things I did like, though include the retelling of the origin, a real Gwen Stacy (and though I absolutely love Bryce Dallas Howard, Emma Stone was really good), his designing his own webshooters based on webs from the spider that bit him, and Spidey's comments during fights. I also loved Uncle Ben and the change that they made to his death.

Overall, there was just more that I didn't like than that I did. I just didn't feel like there was anything special in the story that we were given.
  • Options
    Finished listening to the ep. I was hoping Chris would've commented on how he got Bendis to be the photog for his wedding.

M
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Lucky Charms and Ferris Bueller!
    Only needed a VHS vs DVD rant to complete a hat-trick!
  • Options
    MarkRojasMarkRojas Posts: 22
    I thought this movie was well worth my 11.50 (prices getting too high) You guys got it spot on that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were fantastic. I personally was on the edge of my seat that scene where hes saving the kid from the car.

The score left no lasting impression on me as well. I was alright with the lizard having no snout, they didn't really have many tight face shots anyway (at least that I remember)

At the end, after the credits I felt exactly like the guy who said maybe its Electro, I was reminded of the comic where electro just cracks a huge whole into the jail and lets all the baddies out.

That Stan Lee Cameo was probably the best one,
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    Jamie nailed it with his comment on the music. I found myself noticing several times how unremarkable the music was.

The thing that clinched the first Sam Rami for me is when he tells Mary Jane he can't be with her. I always think of Peter, in that part of his life, as the guy who does not get the girl. I like that they kept the same note in this movie.

I did not like the fact that Gwen immediately knew her father made him promise. I thought it was a bit too soon. If they had a scene earlier that would have given her a clue it would have helped.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    I thought this movie was well worth my 11.50 (prices getting too high) You guys got it spot on that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were fantastic. I personally was on the edge of my seat that scene where hes saving the kid from the car.

The score left no lasting impression on me as well. I was alright with the lizard having no snout, they didn't really have many tight face shots anyway (at least that I remember)

At the end, after the credits I felt exactly like the guy who said maybe its Electro, I was reminded of the comic where electro just cracks a huge whole into the jail and lets all the baddies out.

That Stan Lee Cameo was probably the best one,
    That was me that said that
  • Options
    Adam, I hear how you justified Peter telling Gwen he is Spider-man because he is a modern, adolescent kid with something to help him get the girl. I think that how you justified his reveal is an example of how important the words "With Great Power...Comes Great Responsibility." He should be responsible.

Also, I think the ending of him walking away from MJ in the Raimi movie helped emphasized how he isolates himself with this burden. Uncle Ben, Harry, to some extent Norman & Aunt May, all "paid a price" for Peter being Spider-man. He is just trying to save MJ from that same fate.

M.
    So you're of the opinion that it's irresponsible of Peter to reveal his secret ID to Gwen? I refer you, Matt, to the other remarks I made on the subject: in "outing" himself to Gwen, Peter isn't just trying to impress a girl, he's also reaching out to a potential ally and confidante. Peter knows full well what an intelligent, resourceful, strong-willed, compassionate, and well-connected (to Dr. Connors, to OsCorp, and even to the NYPD, via her father) person Gwen is. He also knows that she cares for him, and that she was willing to bend a few rules to cover for him once before at Dr. Connors's lab, thus making her a reasonably safe risk. After the physiological and emotional roller-coaster ride Peter's been on since receiving his spider-bite-- culminating in the dinner-table argument with Capt. Stacy, which leaves Peter questioning the methods, motives, and overall wisdom of his vigilante career to date--perhaps Peter has begun to see a need for an informed, reliable, sympathetic second opinion for his activities, someone to help him figure out the nature of his abilities and what he should really be doing with them, or just to provide moral support. The fact that this needed friend and advisor appears to Peter in the form of a girl on whom he already has a crush only makes the decision to take Gwen into his confidence that much easier to make.

In short, teen romance elements aside, there's no more "responsible" course of action than to seek out help when one realizes one needs it, and I would argue that's what Peter does when he lets Gwen in on his secret. 'Nuff said.

As to Peter's distancing himself from MJ and Gwen, in both cases ostensibly to "protect" the women from the collateral dangers of his crimefighting: who's to say that they even want or need to be "protected"? Peter decided for himself to assume the burden of being Spider-Man; don't the women in his life deserve the chance to make a similar decision as to whether or not they're willing to accept the risks of being a superhero's significant other, rather than having that decision made for them by Peter? (Or worse yet, in Gwen's case, by a deathbed pact between Peter and her overprotective dad to "leave Gwen out of it"--rather hypocritical of Capt. Stacy, btw, given that he didn't "leave Gwen's mother out of it" when he asked her to become a policeman's wife!) The way I see it, by summarily cutting Gwen/MJ out of his life without so much as the courtesy of an explanation, even if he does so out of concern for their safety, Peter does them and himself a real disservice. Thank goodness Gwen calls bulls**t on him in this most recent film, and he reconsiders his move in the end.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

M.
    So you're of the opinion that it's irresponsible of Peter to reveal his secret ID to Gwen? I refer you, Matt, to the other remarks I made on the subject: in "outing" himself to Gwen, Peter isn't just trying to impress a girl, he's also reaching out to a potential ally and confidante. Peter knows full well what an intelligent, resourceful, strong-willed, compassionate, and well-connected (to Dr. Connors, to OsCorp, and even to the NYPD, via her father) person Gwen is. He also knows that she cares for him, and that she was willing to bend a few rules to cover for him once before at Dr. Connors's lab, thus making her a reasonably safe risk. After the physiological and emotional roller-coaster ride Peter's been on since receiving his spider-bite-- culminating in the dinner-table argument with Capt. Stacy, which leaves Peter questioning the methods, motives, and overall wisdom of his vigilante career to date--perhaps Peter has begun to see a need for an informed, reliable, sympathetic second opinion for his activities, someone to help him figure out the nature of his abilities and what he should really be doing with them, or just to provide moral support. The fact that this needed friend and advisor appears to Peter in the form of a girl on whom he already has a crush only makes the decision to take Gwen into his confidence that much easier to make.

In short, teen romance elements aside, there's no more "responsible" course of action than to seek out help when one realizes one needs it, and I would argue that's what Peter does when he lets Gwen in on his secret. 'Nuff said.

As to Peter's distancing himself from MJ and Gwen, in both cases ostensibly to "protect" the women from the collateral dangers of his crimefighting: who's to say that they even want or need to be "protected"? Peter decided for himself to assume the burden of being Spider-Man; don't the women in his life deserve the chance to make a similar decision as to whether or not they're willing to accept the risks of being a superhero's significant other, rather than having that decision made for them by Peter? (Or worse yet, in Gwen's case, by a deathbed pact between Peter and her overprotective dad to "leave Gwen out of it"--rather hypocritical of Capt. Stacy, btw, given that he didn't "leave Gwen's mother out of it" when he asked her to become a policeman's wife!) The way I see it, by summarily cutting Gwen/MJ out of his life without so much as the courtesy of an explanation, even if he does so out of concern for their safety, Peter does them and himself a real disservice. Thank goodness Gwen calls bulls**t on him in this most recent film, and he reconsiders his move in the end.
    I would still say yes, based on the description of how he told her, it's irresponsible. It sounds as though he got "cutsie" with the real. I've always read Spider-man as seeing his powers as a curse (following Uncle Ben's death), so to use them to try & impress a girl he's into does sound irresponsible.

Point two, Pete seeing his powers as a burden makes sense to why he would keep his distance from MJ (or Gwen). Clark Kent did the same with Lois for years (in Smallville, Clark had multiple opportunities to tell Lana & didn't for the same type of reasoning.)

If there were news flashes about someone robbing a bank & stealing millions of dollars, and I told & showed you it was me, I've just burdened you. Even if you're going to keep my secret, you're a part of it. If my secret gets out, you could go down as well for knowing & never reporting me. I cannot undo you knowing once I tell you the secret.

The idea of his powers being a burden is the exactly why I would never want super powers. Everyone thinks how cool it would be to have extraordinary abilities, but few think about the burden or psychological weight that goes with it. Obviously, I'm not a superhero & my life is not that dangerous. I do, however, keep certain aspects of what I do through work secret from Meg to keep her safe. There was a long period of time I distance myself from people (let alone a love interest) to protect them.

You're right, it's not fair of Peter to not let MJ make the decision for herself, but his secret isn't something small. There's a huge weight/burden that comes with it. Once he shares it with her, it's her's as well...whether she can handle it or not. Peter can never undo it (unless Mephisto gets involved, apparently.)

M
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    The most misquoted line in all of literature? "Alas, poor Yorick. I knew him well..." The line that is misquoted nearly as much? "With great power comes great responsibility." Nevertheless, I agree with Dani; even this erroneous version should've made it into the film.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199

The "where did he get industrial strength webbing" discussion confused me. He came across it in the lab and found several cartridges of it. He took one or two with him. He was proven to be super smart throughout the movie, so he could have reverse engineered it. Now if asked where he got the money to buy the materials he needed for it, that I can understand questioning. He also had access to the labs once he started working for Curt Connors, so he also could have snagged cartridges here and there.

I personally thought he did come across geeky, which I don't think Toby MacGuire ever did in my eyes. This was the scrawny kid at school who took photos and few people paid attention to except to pick on.

I look forward to more in the future, and I agree I hope they save the Green Goblin fr the 3rd movie, but who should be in the next one (assuming they don't take a character that was done in the Raimi run)? Maybe do the Scorpion being hired by Jameson story? Or Mysterio? Or Electro?

I don't remeber Peter taking any webbing cartridges from the lab, but they do show him researching the Oscorp webbing, so I thought that he was able to synthesize his own version of it. Either way, I thought it was feasible for him to be able to create the webbing himself. He didn't go out and buy military grade web fluid, he made it himself.

I thought Toby MacGuire was good in the first run of movies, but Garfield was even better in Amazing. I thought he came off as geeky and portrayed the Peter Parker character really well.

I also hope that the Green Gobblin doesn't appear until the 3rd movie, and that Gwen doesn't die until at least the 3rd movie. I like Emma Stone so much in this movie that I hope that they don't rush to kill her in the second movie. They can have her in at least three movies before the inevitable killing. Especially when they killed Captain Stacey right away. I would have liked to see Dennis Leary in another movie before he died. I think they rushed it a little bit with offing him in the first movie. They could have built the bond between Peter and this family a little more before the tragedy of Capt. Stacey's death. Draw it out a little more. Uncle Ben just died, Capt. Stacey could have died in the next movie.

Scorpion, Mysterio, or Electro are all good choices for the second movie. Great picks. Rhino would be cool too. Maybe even Craven. I know that we'll see the Green Goblin eventually. And its probably a decent bet that Venom will show up some time. But I would like to see them hold back on those characters a little longer so that we can see soem of these other guys that we haven't seen yet. There's no shortage of cool characters here.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

The "where did he get industrial strength webbing" discussion confused me. He came across it in the lab and found several cartridges of it. He took one or two with him. He was proven to be super smart throughout the movie, so he could have reverse engineered it. Now if asked wher
    e he got the money to buy the materials he needed for it, that I can understand questioning. He also had access to the labs once he started working for Curt Connors, so he also could have snagged cartridges here and there.

I don't remeber Peter taking any webbing cartridges from the lab, but they do show him researching the Oscorp webbing, so I thought that he was able to synthesize his own version of it. Either way, I thought it was feasible for him to be able to create the webbing himself. He didn't go out and buy military grade web fluid, he made it himself.

He bought it, at least that's what it looked like. He had an Oscorp box opened and it looked like it was sent to him. Like he bought it off Amazon or something. Which it sounded like they were still experimental on that stuff and that it was probably military grade or something. I thought he should've borrowed one and made his own but that's not what appeared to have happened.

I really enjoyed it though. I liked the fancy moves he does when he's swinging through town (you know, the ones you get half way through the video game) I like this lizard better than the one that's currently in the comic snout or no snout. Leary I thought was great, going into the movie you know he's probably going to bite it but he was good enough I was hoping for it to happen in the next one.

I'm glad the wrestling ring still made an appearance even if for just a minute.

One thing my wife pointed out was that when he has the mask on it fully looks like a single piece of material and when he takes of off it makes it a little weird to see.
  • Options
    BibliomikeBibliomike Posts: 16
    I enjoyed all the Sam Raimi-Toby Maguire films (including the unfairly maligned Spider-Man 3, but that's for another time...), but was not opposed to seeing another creative team take a stab at the Spidey mythos. I enjoyed this movie a great deal, although it hasn't "stuck with me" or really captured my imagination. There were some details that pulled me out of the movie here and there -- most notably, the idea that Peter Parker, super-smart guy, wouldn't ever have thought to Google his dead dad's name until discovering that briefcase - really? -- but, overall, it was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the rest of the trilogy.

I really enjoyed Garfield and Stone's performances individually, although I did not feel much chemistry between the two. That awkward will they/won't they scene in the school hall felt too much like twenty-year-olds playing high school kids. Still, not a fatal flaw in the film. Kudos to the filmmakers for not turning Gwen into a "damsel in distress" at the end (and nice foreshadowing of, I suppose, her ultimate fate at the Goblin's hands when Spidey tosses her out the school window and catches her with a web). I liked Curt Connors as a character but thought the Lizard did not translate overly well to the screen (as several of you all said) - he looked too cartoony, even stop-motion-ish. Oh, well.

Loved Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben (once I got over my "That's President Bartlett!" feeling), but thought Sally Field was underutilized as Aunt May. (Granted, Aunt May isn't much of a character in those early comic stories, either.)

I kept waiting for Connors' family to show up, as in the comics. I noted (I think) that Connors is wearing a wedding ring... a dropped subplot, perhaps?

I enjoyed Dennis Leary as Captain Stacy - but I did not know he was going to die! Don't know that character's comics history, so that development truly surprised me.

I do know, that, Uncle Ben doesn't actually say "With great power..." in Amazing Fantasy 15 (the narrator does in a text box), so I didn't mind as much as you guys seemed to that it was missing.

I also have to disagree with several of you - I thought the James Horner score was fantastic! I think there actually is a theme (this being Horner, heavy on the trumpets, of course) that gets lots of repetition - but I will have to wait until I hear the CD to render final judgment. I do know I enjoyed it in the film, though. Another great Horner effort.

I was disappointed we didn't get to meet a new J. Jonah Jameson this time around. Next time, maybe?

I think Flash got into Midtown Science High because the school must be a magnet school. I attended a magnet school for part of high school, but the school was also the default local neighborhood school for others who were not there because of the magnet programs. So it's not at all unbelievable that kids like Flash would be there.
  • Options
    BibliomikeBibliomike Posts: 16
    One thing my wife pointed out was that when he has the mask on it fully looks like a single piece of material and when he takes of off it makes it a little weird to see.
    Yes! That bugged me about the Sam Raimi films, too. Which is it? Can't have it both ways... unless I guess it's some sort of super-sealing fabric! Good call.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Finally saw this the other night (while the rest of the nerd universe was off seeing Dark Knight Rises... only like 6 other people at my showing, which was awesome), and I loved it. There were a few choices, storywise, some things left out I would've liked to have seen included (the Daily Bugle cast, for instance), but I really enjoyed watching it and am looking forward to seeing it again. Garfield was fantastic as both Spidey and Peter (one thing I noticed in the close-ups, though... dude has a LOOOOOONNNGGGGG neck!), Emma Stone was great, beautiful as always, and maybe even more charming than ever, Dennis Leary was great as Captain Stacy, balancing the gruff cop and concerned father roles equally well, and even Rhys Ifans was good even if he spends a good chunk of the movie being CGI. And, of course, Uncle Jed Bartlett and Aunt Gidget were fantastic... excellent casting, totally believable, lots of heart.

By the way, Aunt May totally knows, and so what if they never showed where/how Peter was able to get the resources for his costume and equipment? Stan and Steve always kinda glossed over that, too.

So, better than the Raimi films? Yeah, I think so. I don't think they've held up particularly well, especially 2. Good lord, MJ, your orphaned, scraping-by, not-boyfriend missed your play. Big deal. Not only is he kind of busy, but you're a terrible actress... I mean, just stop and look at your own performance in this very movie! No need to go off and marry an astronaut over something so slight as that. He'd be better off with that girl who gave him cake, which must have been important because they slowed down the whole movie and took a break from the forced Christ metaphors just to show him getting that cake. Must have been good cake.
  • Options
    Finally got to see this movie and I can truthfully say I was better off NOT seeing it. If you merge the best parts of this movie with the best parts of Spider-man 3, you'll have a good 3rd movie in a series.

First, I could not wait until the origin was over with. I understand it's supposed to cross throughout the trilogy, but damn...WE KNOW THE ORIGIN!

I could not stay Garfield as Spider-man. He had the quips that I missed from Raimi's movies, but I just couldn't get behind him as the character (maybe part of that is because I hate Ultimate Spider-man and this definitely feels like it)

I could not buy Peter's relationship with Aunt May and Uncle Ben. I couldn't buy their casting either. In fact, when Ben died, I did not feel anything...I just didn't care.

The Lizard was written wrong and looked even worse

Still had a Spider-man who's allergic to wearing a mask, but with a costume that sucked, it's no wonder.

The crane scene...WTF?!

His reveal to Gwen annoyed the hell out of me; maybe if Uncle Ben had reminded him about Great Power and Great Responsibility

The positive (besides the quips) was Emma Stone and Denis Leary. Like both of them.

I think it might have been better if they bypassed the origin part of the story, it felt very redundant and I felt NO emotion attachment this time around. When it was over, I immediately ejected the disc, and put it back in my bag to return to Los Pants. My wife fell asleep the last 20 minutes, and never asked what happened or that she wanted to see how it ended. Spider-man 3 was truly the last Spidey movie I will be seeing any time in the foreseeable decade.

M.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited November 2012
    @Matt : Is there anything in the world of escapism that you actually do like?

:O)
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I should be getting the blu ray in today. I am hoping it is decent,but don't expect it to be.
  • Options

@Matt : Is there anything in the world of escapism that you actually do like?

:O)

There are, I've just become jaded about things I cherished for years. I'm not looking for rehashing of old stuff, but I hate the idea of flipping the status quo onto its head. My time for enjoying escapism is minimal, so I want to be wowed.

M
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @Matt : I totally get you. Since you hardly ever praise stuff I was worried you're dead inside. Instead you're just hard to please. There is still hope ;)
  • Options

@Matt : I totally get you. Since you hardly ever praise stuff I was worried you're dead inside. Instead you're just hard to please. There is still hope ;)

Then you need to listen to the Dark Knight Rises review ep :)

M