Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Grant Morrison & Rob Liefeld leaving DC.

Comments

• Options
    VashVash Posts: 12
    Say what you want about Liefeld but the guy is on 3 books at DC. Seemed like he had a good thing going.
  • Options
    If lie field is leaving am I honing to get Kyle Higgins back on Deathstroke?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I really enjoyed Morrison's JLA run. Maybe because there were enough characters for him to work with verses a solo character book. Didn't care too much for his Animal Man (though that might also be because I don't care for Animal Man) & his Batman stuff drew me out of Batman & ultimately comics.

I noticed (at least with Batman) Morrison liked to put sexual aspects to his Batman stuff. In an early LOTDK story, a young Bruce attended a private school where the teacher was abusing the boys. In his latest run with Batman, Bruce's parents allegedly were involved in orgies. Also, Talia forcibly had sex with Batman resulting in the birth of Daimen (though had he done the research, Morrison would've found it was originally consensual).

It's one of the elements that always took me out of his Batman stuff. Plus, I felt as much as Nolan was trying to take a realistic take on the character, Morrison was taking it into the other direction.

M
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear about Liefeld going, just because he seems to want to write and draw, and while I'm not the biggest fan of his drawing, I think he really has blossomed over the years and I think he can only get better. But his writing, I feel is still not up to snuff, and it's better to let him continue to build his skills but not on center stage.
    I will miss Morrison certainly, because I love his writing, and he truly brought new life to Batman, and I think his take on it was a welcome respite from the "Batman is a tool and destroys every relationship around him" that had gone on at various levels since the Post Crisis era, and it definitely had gotten old by the time of War Games at the very latest. I thought his take was very much in the spirit of O'Neill and Adams, with a combination of the darkness and pulpiness of the very earliest stories as well as the globe-trotting and craziness of the 50s and 60s. I really am glad to see him doing some creator owned work, but I do really hope that the flavor and tone remain. If Snyder stays as guardian of the Bat Universe, I think it will, but if not, that would be a bummer. I guess we'll see.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Say it ain't so, Rob!! ;) maybe him and grant are gonna do a comic together!
  • Options
    I will certainly miss Morrison on superheroes but this means more way out there in concept work! Pretty exciting! I enjoy the hell out of his comics. The good ones and the bad ones.
    Liefeld? Maybe we will get a readable hawkman now? Liefeld moves back to his comfort zone of no responsibility. I get to ignore him easier again.

Win/win in my opinion!!!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    demonbear said:

Say it ain't so, Rob!! ;) maybe him and grant are gonna do a comic together!

That was actually pretty funny.

• Options
    Geeky39Geeky39 Posts: 4
    rebis said:

Wow! With Marvel's "squishy" boot and Morrison's exit from Superhero comics, my pull list will go from short to non-existant.

Morrison's Batman is the best handling of the character since O'Neil & Adams.

That's highly debatable, some might say Snyder's current run is better than anything Morrison did on Batman, and that this is the best handling of the character since O'Neil & Adams. This is all opinion though and to each their own.

Personally, I will miss Morrison. The man gets Superman, his Superman is one of the best written in my opinion. With that being said, I don't want him to ever touch Batman ever again. =p
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I won't say his handling of Batman is the best since the 70's, but he DID make the character interesting again. The late 80's Miller "Gritty psycho" reboot had long since overstayed its welcome, and I hope we don't see it ever again. I'm tired of the "Bruce Wayne is the fiction, Batman is the reality", and the "Urban Legend" is totally unbelievable in this time of instant access everywhere. ANYONE could have a camera phone, video phone, etc...

I still have to admit I don't understand why people dislike his work so much, but I accept that they do. Me? I find it wonderful, almost a new version of Kirby where he takes the old ideas and jumpstarts them into something new. Look at all of the changes that have stuck from his Batman run, and how people enjoy the ideas that drive the book now.l
  • Options
    Geeky39Geeky39 Posts: 4

I won't say his handling of Batman is the best since the 70's, but he DID make the character interesting again. The late 80's Miller "Gritty psycho" reboot had long since overstayed its welcome, and I hope we don't see it ever again. I'm tired of the "Bruce Wayne is the fiction, Batman is the reality", and the "Urban Legend" is totally unbelievable in this time of instant access everywhere. ANYONE could have a camera phone, video phone, etc...

I still have to admit I don't understand why people dislike his work so much, but I accept that they do. Me? I find it wonderful, almost a new version of Kirby where he takes the old ideas and jumpstarts them into something new. Look at all of the changes that have stuck from his Batman run, and how people enjoy the ideas that drive the book now.l

If I were to take Captain Marvel, and turn him into a troubled kid with drug issue's who has a strong desire to abuse cats and dogs and laugh at old people, that would make him interesting again, but not for the right reasons.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Geeky39 said:

rebis said:

Wow! With Marvel's "squishy" boot and Morrison's exit from Superhero comics, my pull list will go from short to non-existant.

Morrison's Batman is the best handling of the character since O'Neil & Adams.

That's highly debatable, some might say Snyder's current run is better than anything Morrison did on Batman, and that this is the best handling of the character since O'Neil & Adams. This is all opinion though and to each their own.

Personally, I will miss Morrison. The man gets Superman, his Superman is one of the best written in my opinion. With that being said, I don't want him to ever touch Batman ever again. =p
    Wish I could "agree" and "disagree" with this post.

You had me right up to that last sentence.

• Options

I have to say, while not liking everything Grant Morrison did with Batman, he got me truly interested in the character for the first time since Batman: Hush and Batman: Under the Red Hood.
  • Options
    Geeky39 said:

If I were to take Captain Marvel, and turn him into a troubled kid with drug issue's who has a strong desire to abuse cats and dogs and laugh at old people, that would make him interesting again, but not for the right reasons.
    You think that giving Batman a personality other than a psycho is just as bad as what Geoff Johns is doing on Captain Marvel? Batman went back to being a hero after almost 25 years of just being the Punisher with more money, IMHO.

To each their own, but I don't think I could disagree with you more.

• Options
    Vash said:

Say what you want about Liefeld but the guy is on 3 books at DC. Seemed like he had a good thing going.

I said it in another thread, I think....Bob Harris and Rob always had a great relationship, and since Harris is picking up everyone who worked for Marvel in the 90's, I'm not surprised that he turned to Rob to be part of the talent pool. And Rob knows that there is a LOT more money in developing the properties he owns, but working at one of the big Two raises his profile. It's a win-win for them both.

I think you are going to see a LOT more creators leaving the big two over the next couple of years to try and do what Kirkman has done with his works.

• Options
    Damn this is disappointing. I've been really enjoyed the writing for Action Comics, and was hoping he'd be writing it for a lasting period... because those are the comic-book series I like the most... i.e. ones with a consistent writer or artist (preferably both,) instead of changing frequently.

My budget for comic-books has been seriously low for the past couple of months and I've not been able to keep up with many of the comic-books I'd like to have been able to. Therefore most of the DC New 52 titles I was reading, I've dropped... and am unlikely to start buying again... the news of Morrison leaving DC (I've also been enjoying Batman Inc.,) makes it all the more likely I'll not start buying single issues again...

Because floppies are so expensive in terms of amount of pages one gets for them, then it seriously needs consistent creative teams, for at least a couple of years, in my opinion. That way one knows the type of storytelling one will get, both in writing and artistic ways, and there is a point to it being serialised monthly. (Or even twice-monthly as Marvel are doing more and more regularly.) Writing 6-issue story arcs is actually writing for the Graphic Novel, or Trade Paperback form, and so should be read in that way, not as single issue floppies.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

The news that Liefeld is leaving DC raises no reaction in me. I've never been interested in his work.

I wonder whether the Before Watchmen series has made comic-book creators realise that their beloved characters could be raped in such a fashion by either of the Big Two in the future if they keep working for them under such writer/artist unfriendly conditions. So they're more keen on producing comics for Image, which seems as though it must have the best publisher to writer/artist relationships ever... therefore I believe, in the next five years or so, it will surpass both Marvel and DC and become the primary U.S. comic-book publisher.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Geeky39 said:

You think that giving Batman a personality other than a psycho is just as bad as what Geoff Johns is doing on Captain Marvel? Batman went back to being a hero after almost 25 years of just being the Punisher with more money, IMHO.

I don't think I need to spend any more of everyone's time with how much Morrison derailed Batman for me. I will say I'm tired of people labeling the prior Batman a dick or psycho. It tells me the critics just didn't get Batman.

He grew up an orphan, travel the world alone, never really dealt with the emotions of the loss of his parents. He had a prior sidekick die, than come back as a villain, he had his teammates mess with his mind, & had several villains who have mentally assaulted him (Hugo Strange, Scarecrow, Hush, etc). Is it any wonder he has issues trusting people & interacting with people?

Is it his contingency plans, the way he examines the people in his world, his tactical skills? Trust me, talk with military personnel, law enforcement, etc and you'll see it's the mental process of people in that type of field. Hell, I work in the private sector & my supervisor and I are always talking about how to break into a building, how to cover your paper trail, even how to get clothes if you're on the run. The best way to prevent situations is to figure out how to create them.

I gotta say, I don't find vegans relatable. I don't understand why people feel the need to go to a place of worship once a week, follow a book written by man, & give $ to an orangization that doesn't pay taxes.* Regardless, I don't call these groups psychos.

So, please stop saying Batman was a dick or psycho. You could say an unrelatable version or too gritty/dark.

(getting off my soap box now)

M

* although I do understand why people have the psychological need for religion, I don't understand why they feel the need to participate in organized religious gatherings

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited July 2012
    Matt, I'm pretty sure that last question was rhetorical but I can't leave it alone. The purpose of the "organized religious gathering" (which is a hilarious way of putting it, by the way) is more about developing a sense of community that anything else. This is an opportunity for like minded people to gather together and touch base. Think of it like a weekly mini convention (or perhaps a weekly podcast?) or a trip to your LCS to talk geek stuff with other geeks who aren't going to look at you weird.

Just my $0.02.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Geeky39 said:

I don't think I need to spend any more of everyone's time with how much Morrison derailed Batman for me. I will say I'm tired of people labeling the prior Batman a dick or psycho. It tells me the critics just didn't get Batman.

He grew up an orphan, travel the world alone, never really dealt with the emotions of the loss of his parents. He had a prior sidekick die, than come back as a villain, he had his teammates mess with his mind, & had several villains who have mentally assaulted him (Hugo Strange, Scarecrow, Hush, etc). Is it any wonder he has issues trusting people & interacting with people?

Is it his contingency plans, the way he examines the people in his world, his tactical skills? Trust me, talk with military personnel, law enforcement, etc and you'll see it's the mental process of people in that type of field. Hell, I work in the private sector & my supervisor and I are always talking about how to break into a building, how to cover your paper trail, even how to get clothes if you're on the run. The best way to prevent situations is to figure out how to create them.

I gotta say, I don't find vegans relatable. I don't understand why people feel the need to go to a place of worship once a week, follow a book written by man, & give $ to an orangization that doesn't pay taxes.* Regardless, I don't call these groups psychos.

So, please stop saying Batman was a dick or psycho. You could say an unrelatable version or too gritty/dark.

M

* although I do understand why people have the psychological need for religion, I don't understand why they feel the need to participate in organized religious gatherings

We are headed to a bad place. So, in an attempt to get this train back on the rails.

I understand your feelings about calling Batman a psycho. However, Morrison didn't change any of the tactical or planning aspects of Batman. He may have even amped up them up. In RIP it was revealed that Bruce had an emergence "boot up" personality just in case he was incapacitated. So, I'm curious, was it the expansion of the Batman "family" that turned you off? Getting away from a street level concept? the Damien reveal? Bruce reaching out to other heroes (Batman Inc.).

As I wrote above. Just curious.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Geeky39 said:

M

We are headed to a bad place. So, in an attempt to get this train back on the rails.

I understand your feelings about calling Batman a psycho. However, Morrison didn't change any of the tactical or planning aspects of Batman. He may have even amped up them up. In RIP it was revealed that Bruce had an emergence "boot up" personality just in case he was incapacitated. So, I'm curious, was it the expansion of the Batman "family" that turned you off? Getting away from a street level concept? the Damien reveal? Bruce reaching out to other heroes (Batman Inc.).

As I wrote above. Just curious.

Yes, yes, & yes. The kid kills me. Some heroes should just not have offspring in continuity. I've always preferred the urban legend aspect. Once Batman dies & comes back, it kills the "non-powered" hero aspect. And don't even get me started with Batman, Inc.

The 2 things that drive me completely away from Morrison's Batman are the weirdness (the new villains, parents were into orgies, etc) and the Bruce Wayne stories. I prefer a Batman story where you barely see Bruce. As difficult it is for me to get invested into a good storyline for Superman & Spider-man that does not spend time featuring Clark & Peter, it's difficult for me to get invested into a good Batman story where 50% will focus on Bruce.

It basically comes down to "Bruce is the mask, Batman is the identity." Morrison swapped that, so I just don't care for it.

M

• Options
    random73 said:

Matt, I'm pretty sure that last question was rhetorical but I can't leave it alone. The purpose of the "organized religious gathering" (which is a hilarious way of putting it, by the way) is more about developing a sense of community that anything else. This is an opportunity for like minded people to gather together and touch base. Think of it like a weekly mini convention (or perhaps a weekly podcast?) or a trip to your LCS to talk geek stuff with other geeks who aren't going to look at you weird.

Just my $0.02.

Actually if 20 people get together for a religious gathering, I'm fine with it. It's when the meeting HAS to be at a special place, there HAS to be the same stuff recited, and everyone HAS to donate $. If not, you're out of the group. I think about the movie "Book of Eli." One book (the bible) can give one person power because of the psychological needs of people to have a brief.

M

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Funny, I know this is miles off topic but I used to teach a class on the difference between Jesus and religion about that very issue. The gist of it was: religion is spelled D.O. Do this. Do that. And in the end if you have built enough buildings and paid enough dues God might condescend to let you in the club. Jesus otoh is spelled D.O.N.E. the work is done and there is no earning heaven. That might sound over simplified but that was the idea in a nutshell. Now for the controversial bit...

Ready?

Wait for it...

I liked Greyson as Batman. Usually you have to have the Robin character around to lighten up Batman. I liked the dichotomy of have Dick as Batman trying to lighten up Damian's bloodthirsty Robin. It was a neat play on expectations.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Matt said:

Once Batman dies & comes back, it kills the "non-powered" hero aspect.

But by that same logic, wouldn't it have been killed back when he got crippled and magically "got better"?
  • Options
    At the risk of commenting on the thread topic, I think that Morrison and Liefeld leaving corporate comics in order to concentrate on creator-owned books is great!

I've sampled each creator's work a few times and neither is my cup of tea. However, they've each carved out respectable careers and have devoted fanbases.

The more creators that are producing creator-owned material, the better. Hopefully, this shift will "legitimize" non-corporate comics in the eyes of their audience, and compel that fanbase to check out creator-owned comics.
  • Options
    KyleMoyer said:

Matt said:

But by that same logic, wouldn't it have been killed back when he got crippled and magically "got better"?
    I actually found that to be the dumbest ending to that bit they could've thought of. BUT a crippling injury isn't death. You can have advances in medical science...especially if you have money (is Magic Johnson still HIV+?)

M
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Morrison and Liefeld are perhaps the two most polarizing entities in comics for me. When they're doing something great, it's really spectacular (Liefeld gave us Dawn (Dove) Granger, in case you're wondering what his contribution might be), and when they're horrible, they're HORRIBLE.

Like Mr. Bryant, I applaud both of them pursuing independent work. I'm sure there'll be some great stuff (and some crap) along the way. Same as with pretty much any creator out there.
  • Options
    KyleMoyer said:

Matt said:

Barbara still gives him dirty looks to this day...

• Options
    For my part, I'm really sorry to see Morrison leaving. I've enjoyed his Batman work over the past few years, and, currently, Batman, Inc is just about the only Bat-title I can still bear to read. (Along with Batwing and Batman & Robin). I haven't always liked the directions he's taken, but, man! what a ride! I feel like I got more than my money's worth from his stories.

I've also been enjoying his take on the new Superman in Action Comics, which is far superior to what's been going on in Supe's own title. Action is one of the books I really look forward to reading each month.

Liefeld, on the other hand, I won't miss.
  • Options
    I really liked Morrison, he had huge buildups to his stories which drew on previous plot points. He made me feel like I got a bang for my buck, I had to read some issues like the last issue of final crisis about 10 times to understand the plot, but it still felt like I was getting something new every time and wasn't getting old.

Though final crisis still sort of baffles me :|
  • Options

I really liked Morrison, he had huge buildups to his stories which drew on previous plot points. He made me feel like I got a bang for my buck, I had to read some issues like the last issue of final crisis about 10 times to understand the plot, but it still felt like I was getting something new every time and wasn't getting old.

Though final crisis still sort of baffles me :|

I thought that Final Crisis, as much as I enjoyed it in the main, was ultimately a failure, mostly because of that last issue. The story was engaging and Morrison threw a lot at the reader at every turn, to the extent that the series was an emotional roller-coaster. But I think that last issue, where he had to wrap everything up, got away from him. All of a sudden, we had characters standing around telling us what had happened and how things were being resolved, and it felt like a ton and a half of things were being crammed into a few pages -- Captain Carrot and his Zoo Crew were suddenly shoved into a few panels in an attempt to unite all of the 'Supermen' from all of the parallell worlds (as well as to rescue the ZC from the fate they suffered in the last issue of the Last Ark mini). That last issue was a confusing muddle, and, in my case at least, bounced me out of the story.

I like Morrison and I did enjoy FC for the main part, but thought that last issue killed it.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169

Maybe we will get a readable hawkman now?

We didn't have one before Liefeld got there. Why should it be any different after? Pre-Liefeld, Hawkman was an incoherent mess, with Liefeld it was just a mess.