Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Digital Comics Poll

How do you purchase your digital comics?

Digital Comics Poll 55 votes

Day and date they're released
7%
TorchsongtazmaniakdavefaustDman 4 votes
Wait a month and get a discount
18%
brydeemerGargoyleRainbow_RaiderravenBlackUmbrellaDoctorDoomPaulPhelanrkbrasseHellsfireTheMarvelMan 10 votes
Sales ($0.99, 50% off, and discounted)
34%
John_SteedEdChamberskfreemanfredzillalarrypeedmyselfLibraryBoyChrisMurrinbats00kgforcepopcornsamuraiMikeGallagherFrankMCuonzoTrustyMutsimonkey010101kevinvolomadtitan2112danGPPhilipB 19 votes
Floppy codes (DC combo-pack and Marvel included digital copy)
5%
SigurdJarlsonthebradpinderbralinator 3 votes
I'm not into digital
34%
hauberkWebheadChrisSnellmguy1977Justin_TheBuckHexctowner1dubbat138FlagwaverWhistling_PeteDesertHermitThor_ElbatlawfxmattTobyElsiebubJamieDNewPalpatineChuck_Melville 19 votes

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited September 2012
    I've been curious about this for some time. I'm usually one for the sales that are on Comixology, but I've also been purchasing the DC combo-packs and use the Marvel digital copies that are included with the more recent issues. I will spend my money on collections and issues that are discounted (my vote). For instance, I bought the three The Walking Dead omnibi during the Comixology promo for issue 100. I just can't justify the price point of $2.99+ for my monthly books. I might pay $1.99 for a new issue--but it would have to be something that I'm really into. Yet, I'm stuck on the $0.99 price point.

What about you?
  • Options
    I'm right there with you. What I read depends mostly on what's on sale. For example, I have a 50% off code for Dark Horse's digital stuff. I'm STILL hemming and hawing over what to get.
  • Options
    I'm not into digital
    I'm one of the few I suppose who just don't get the whole digital thing. What are you paying for?
    When I buy a comic I'm paying for an artifact that exists in the real world that I can hold in my hands, and most importantly resell or give away if I don't want to hang on to it.
    I'm a big re-seller of media: books, cds, comics, vinyl.
    Digital formats leave me mystified.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I'm not into digital

I'm one of the few I suppose who just don't get the whole digital thing. What are you paying for?
    When I buy a comic I'm paying for an artifact that exists in the real world that I can hold in my hands, and most importantly resell or give away if I don't want to hang on to it.

That is how I am. It is like music,if I want an MP3 of a song I will go buy the cd then rip it myself. 3 years ago a buddy of mine ripped all his dvds and put them on a external HD. Then sold off his dvds. About 4 months ago the HD died and he lost everything. I told him when he was ripping them it might be a good idea to hold onto the dvds. I understand that digital comics take up less space. But the price they charge for digital comics is way more than I am willing to pay for something I physically don't own.

• Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    I'm really not that into digital but if a good sale comes along I can try something out on the cheap. I bought Artifacts on sale a couple months ago. I'm really glad I did. I'll be ordering all of the compendiums available. I'm thankful its there for the sales but nothing more.
  • Options
    I'm not into digital
    dubbat138 said:

That is how I am. It is like music,if I want an MP3 of a song I will go buy the cd then rip it myself. 3 years ago a buddy of mine ripped all his dvds and put them on a external HD. Then sold off his dvds. About 4 months ago the HD died and he lost everything. I told him when he was ripping them it might be a good idea to hold onto the dvds. I understand that digital comics take up less space. But the price they charge for digital comics is way more than I am willing to pay for something I physically don't own.

I'm pretty much in agreement with that. I'll get the freebies, but otherwise I won't bother unless I can get a copy of the digital copy on MY harddrive, not just sitting out there in the cloud. And, generally speaking, I prefer the hardcopy to the digital copy anyway.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm not into digital

dubbat138 said:

I'm pretty much in agreement with that. I'll get the freebies, but otherwise I won't bother unless I can get a copy of the digital copy on MY harddrive, not just sitting out there in the cloud. And, generally speaking, I prefer the hardcopy to the digital copy anyway.
    Plus with digital comics you can't feel or smell the paper. I love the smell of old comics. And the feel of newsprint.

• Options

Paying for the story. Whether it's music, movies, shows, books, or comics, I really don't care how I read, listen, or watch them. I'd download them straight into my brain if I could.
  • Options
    I'm not into digital
    I don't hate digital comics but w/ regular comics you can sell them or give them away to others after reading them. You can't do that w/ digital.

Matthew
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm not into digital
    Double post
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    I buy a few things day and date but mainly I make the most of the sales they have. I don't have a problem paying 99c/69p for something I don't actually own especially if it doesn't take up any space. On a side note I went trade only about 10 years ago so digital books have pulled me back a little into reading (some) books monthly again.
  • Options
    I can't choose both "wait a month..." and "sales...".
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    All I have to read digital comics on is my ipod, not the best way to to be doing digital comics. Because of that I only get digital books to check a title out, or it's a digital exclusive that I want to read like Transformers Autocracy.
  • Options
    My jump to digital came with the realization that I read 99% of my comics one time. So they are really more like going to a movie for me than buying a collectible. Interestingly, now that I have them so easily available with digital, I often read them more than once.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    For those not into digital, I know you've given your reasons as to why you're not, but what would it take to move you over (not whole-hog, but maybe a couple of titles)? Are you interested at all? Why not take advantage of the DC combo-pack or digital copy that comes with some Marvel books? With DCBS the DC c-p costs the same as just the single comic. Is it also a matter of having a device to read on? I noticed I was more apt to get into digital once I had an iPhone and iPad.
  • Options
    I'm not into digital
    I also fall into the non-digital camp and I cannot think of anything that would convert me. The fact that I do not buy DC or Marvel any longer makes it even less enticing. I am just old-fashioned and prefer the tactile experience. I also prefer to own, rather than lease, what I buy. If it is stored in the cloud, you do not really own it, which is the reason I do not buy digital books from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. I've downloaded free books but the only digital book I've bought was written by my best friend and I did so to support him.
  • Options
    Day and date they're released

My jump to digital came with the realization that I read 99% of my comics one time. So they are really more like going to a movie for me than buying a collectible. Interestingly, now that I have them so easily available with digital, I often read them more than once.

This is kinda how I see it. I'm paying for the experience and the entertainment, not to physically own anything. Like you say with movies, you pay your $10+, you watch it and you leave. You don't get to physically take the movie with you, but you do keep the memories of the film. Same as with a play or a concert. Hell, even with food.

I buy my comics, read them and then pass them along. If I can't find anyone to take them, they go into the trash. That's what I've done since I started reading in 1990. I'm to the point where I only read digital. If it isn't available in digital format, then I probably won't be reading it. It's better for me, as someone who never got on-board with collecting.

I've switched to digital in any form of entertainment that offers it. If I can download it, that's the format I'm getting. I stopped buying physical copies of music, movies, TV shows, books, software and video games. Seeing as how I rarely, if ever, revisit something I've already seen or read, it's not a big deal if I lose it to a HDD crash or whatever. I already have the experience and memories of it. The only thing I'm really concerned about is my music collection, but I keep it backed up on multiple devices.

I guess I understand older readers and collectors wanting to stick to physical copies, but as someone who isn't concerned with collecting or having piles of books or anything in my house, digital is for me.
  • Options
    I'm not into digital
    tazmaniak said:

This is kinda how I see it. I'm paying for the experience and the entertainment, not to physically own anything. Like you say with movies, you pay your $10+, you watch it and you leave. You don't get to physically take the movie with you, but you do keep the memories of the film. Same as with a play or a concert. Hell, even with food.

I buy my comics, read them and then pass them along. If I can't find anyone to take them, they go into the trash. That's what I've done since I started reading in 1990. I'm to the point where I only read digital. If it isn't available in digital format, then I probably won't be reading it. It's better for me, as someone who never got on-board with collecting.

I've switched to digital in any form of entertainment that offers it. If I can download it, that's the format I'm getting. I stopped buying physical copies of music, movies, TV shows, books, software and video games. Seeing as how I rarely, if ever, revisit something I've already seen or read, it's not a big deal if I lose it to a HDD crash or whatever. I already have the experience and memories of it. The only thing I'm really concerned about is my music collection, but I keep it backed up on multiple devices.

I guess I understand older readers and collectors wanting to stick to physical copies, but as someone who isn't concerned with collecting or having piles of books or anything in my house, digital is for me.
    I see the reasoning here. What is boils down to for me is pragmatism and frugality I suppose. Consuming media in a similar manner as food or air strikes me as somewhat of a luxury. If I could afford to feed my considerable habit for media without consideration for recouping costs, even if that recompense equates to about 30 cent on the dollar, I would probably avail myself of non-physical formats.
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    edited September 2012
    Numerically the vast majority of my purchases are in sales, I can't resist 99c books. But in terms of how I buy generally it's wait a month, one of the reasons I'm not buying any Marvel books at the moment.
  • Options
    I flick between monthly drop and sales, depending on funds available. Am finding trades to be a big draw for me at the minute, especially taking into account the exchange rate
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    Numerically the vast majority of my purchases are in sales, I can't resist 99c books. But in terms of how I buy generally it's wait a month, one of the reasons I'm not buying any Marvel books at the moment.
    Apart from "Avengers vs X-Men" I refuse to buy any full price Marvel books. I don't want to encourage their crazy pricing policies.
  • Options
    I'm not into digital
    danGP said:

Apart from "Avengers vs X-Men" I refuse to buy any full price Marvel books. I don't want to encourage their crazy pricing policies.

I could not agree more.
    Sometimes I feel exactly like Walter Sobchak in 'The Big Lewbowski' when he freaks out and says "Has the whole world gone crazy??! Am I the only one who gives a s**t about the rules??!"
    I can't believe people are willing to pay $3.99 for a comic. When I hear the increase didn't result in any meaningful reduction in sales, I'm just stunned. I would love to read Marvel books. I grew up reading them. But I'm not paying $3.99 for a physical comic, asking me to pay that for a digital comic is more kinds of crazy than I can deal with.
  • Options
    I'm not into digital
    I'll buy a $3.99 comic. I'd rather buy a $3.99 comic than a $1.99 digital. Heck, I'd buy a $7.99 comic, but at those prices they'd better be damn worth it.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I'm not into digital
    Digital isnt for me either. I fall into the old timer catagory i guess. For me its mainly the issue of getting what you pay for. Paying a premium for digital is absurd. Im not against the format Nec. (thats a matter of preference) but for me personally to see the vallue in it or be tempted by it, the cost for digital would have to be radically slashed. I think its an example of our new "disposable" culture.
  • Options
    I'm always trolling for the sales, but there are a couple of regular titles I wait a month and them pick them up at 1.99.
  • Options
    Floppy codes (DC combo-pack and Marvel included digital copy)
    At the moment I don't have a good reader for comics, however I do enjoy the free digital copy I get from marvel books. Unless digital goes cheaper, might as well get a 3.99 floppy comic with a digital code than a 3.99 digitalcomic. Plus I still have a collectors mentality, I've only been in comics for about 3 years so my collection doesn't take up much room
  • Options
    I'm not into digital
    fredzilla said:

For those not into digital, I know you've given your reasons as to why you're not, but what would it take to move you over (not whole-hog, but maybe a couple of titles)? Are you interested at all? Why not take advantage of the DC combo-pack or digital copy that comes with some Marvel books? With DCBS the DC c-p costs the same as just the single comic. Is it also a matter of having a device to read on? I noticed I was more apt to get into digital once I had an iPhone and iPad.

I have no interest in digital comics. Just like I have no interest in e-books.
  • Options
    I'm not into digital
    fredzilla said:

99 cent books across the board might do it, but even then I doubt I'd be a regular buyer. I don't like reading anything on a screen.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm a chaotic digital buyer.

I'll buy day and date..sometimes.

I'll wait a month...sometimes.

Sometimes I'll go months without buying a digital comic.

• Options

I don't like reading anything on a screen.

Then how are you reading this? JK, but also seriously asking for further clarification.