Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1275 Talkback: Previews

2»

Comments

• Options
    brydeemer said:

Murd's not going to stream anything while living in Stone Harbor. He uses a Verizon My-Fi for his internet connection.

Perhaps when he's back at home he can youtube a few episodes.

Bry

Actually, I've been dipping into YouTube fairly extensively this summer--just a few weeks ago, I watched the entire first-and-only season of "Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light" on YouTube, for instance--and my meager, humble Verizon Wireless portable USB set-up has been equal to the task. So last night, I decided to pick up Apreche's gauntlet and view the first four episodes of "Friendship is Magic."

That's right: I used My Little Modem to watch My Little Pony. :P

Based on the little I've seen so far, I'll say that the show is fairly cleverly written, and seems likely to become more so as the seasons wear on and the writers find their feet (their "hooves"? their "gait"?). Heck, the initial two-parter includes a Ponyfied version of the Infinity Gems! The comedy is solid, and I thought I could see Big Jim's influence in some of the sight gags. However, after a while I could feel my glycogen levels rising dangerously from the sheer pink-frosted sweetness of it all--however smart its writing or high its production values, the cutesy-girliness of the show borders on the toxic, and this is coming from a guy with a higher-than-average tolerance for such things. Also, as I believe Apreche has observed in earlier posts, the plots are heavy-handedly moralistic, designed to hammer home certain "messages" about friendship and cooperation to their young target viewers.

Still, I found the show entertaining enough that, once I've had time to digest all the sucrose, I'll be coming back for more. And now that I know the characters, I'm already looking forward to seeing what Katie Cook will do with them in her comics adaptation.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Apreche said:

You guys are all judging ponies with only watching 5 minutes or half of an episode. How would you think of me if I said your favorite comic sucked after I only read two pages or half the pages?

If you want to knock MLP:FiM, that's cool. Not everyone in the world loves ponies. But at least give it a legit try before you do so. You think I wasn't also hesitant when I started watching? But after 5 episodes in a row, I couldn't let go.

My personal suggestion is that you watch either the first two episodes of Season 1, the first two episodes of season 2, or season 1 episode 7. Those are all episodes with fantasy adventure quest storylines that any geek will enjoy, pony or not. I swear to god, they are using the D&D Monstrous Manual to choose characters for this show.

And Murd. Not having the HUB is no excuse not to watch the show. I don't even have cable. I've watched it both on YouTube and Netflix streaming. You can buy it on iTunes. You can also download it illegally. This is the most accessible show in the universe.

Now, I know you are a luddite, and are going to say you want to watch it on your TV. Then you should take a spare computer and plug it into your television. Alternatively you can pre-order the DVD box set. Also, I don't know if you still have an old tube TV, but this show was made for HDTV. If you watch it any other way, you'll miss most of the magic.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic: Season One DVD Box Set

I have watched about 5 or 6 episodes of MLP and it didn't appeal to me. The only reason I watched that many is cause a friend of mine's wife is an animator on it. To me at least it is just another show created to sell toys. Now that type of cartoon can be good,but this one didn't appeal to me at all.
    The only flying horse I need:
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Greg said:
    Never doubt the power of the bronies.